Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #16
Inactive Account

That's not good if its is true, I was wanting to buy one in the very near future

08-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A bit of a worry!

If anybody out there hears any more regarding this discontinuation, let us know.
It's the first I've heard of it, and that is bad news for Pentax owners.
I haven't bought one yet, but this is the lens I have been aiming to buy.
(when the household Treasurer comes around)
08-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davekimber Quote
I was informed by my local Pentax dealer that the Bigma is now discontinued with a Pentax fit not enough interest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Well, this is what I know. I had my lens on order for about a month and a half to two months. I got it this week. It was out of stock when I ordered it. While I was waiting I had checked several other retailers online and saw they they too were out of stock on the Bigma. Since I have received my lens I have received 2 email notifications from seperate online retailers that they are now in stock. About 2 weeks ago I received an email from B&H who changed their Bigma status from out of stock with no forcasted date of arrival to "accepting orders".

Due to these factors I'd be suprised if Sigma was planing on stopping production of the Bigma. They may, however, be accepting orders and only running a production once they receive enough orders to make it worth their while. Maybe your dealer meant that it was no longer going to be a "stocked" item.
08-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I also heard (somewhere) a rumor that now that Pentax finally released their SDM lenses, Sigma may be in the process of "reworking" their Pentax-mount lenses that have HSM variants for Canon/Nikon/Sigma to support HSM on Pentax cameras.

No clue if that's actually true. I can't afford the Bigma at the moment (spent too much on camera equipment already for now), but I was planning on ordering it midway through next year. In addition to the affordability issue, I'm waiting to see what Sigma's HSM-for-Pentax roadmap is before ordering.

08-24-2007, 01:46 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I was told this when I collected my Bigma. The dealer in question is Jessops in the UK Jessops.com - Digital camera, camera, digital dv camcorder and accessories - Jessops They are unable to order or get hold of he Pentax fit. The shop in Camberley had a Canon and a Nikon on the shelf.

I contacted an independant dealer and was told they have no stock for pentax and when they phoned Sigma UK they were told the lens is nolonger being manufactured with Pentax fit and the lenses that are in the shops are the last to be made with a Pentax fit in the UK. Sigma are releasing a new lens in the near future for Pentax DSLR cameras.

All I know so far
08-24-2007, 09:56 AM   #21
Forum Member

Ok news update from Sigma UK re 50-500

I have spoken to the sales manager of Sigma Uk today and he advised me:

They are only batch manufacturing this lens in Pentax fit.

Pentax Fit lenses makes up only 1% yes 1% of Sigma's total Lens sales in the UK.

This is why some dealers are now saying the Bigma is discontinued.

Well hope this clears things up abit. as for me I am about to step on a plane to Africa for 14 nights Safari

Dave
08-24-2007, 01:10 PM   #22
Site Supporter

In stock!!

The BIGMA is in stock at BH photo... I thought some here would be interested.. I just ordered one myself, I've been wanting one of those for a long time!
08-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #23
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davekimber Quote
...when they phoned Sigma UK they were told the lens is nolonger being manufactured with Pentax fit and the lenses that are in the shops are the last to be made with a Pentax fit in the UK. Sigma are releasing a new lens in the near future for Pentax DSLR cameras.
that seems reasonable. I'd think Sigma would recognize the winners Pentax has on its hands and not abandon it outright.

I live near Sigma USA, and need to bring my f/2.8 300mm back to get cleaned, as the aperture screws kept loosening while I was in Tanzania to the point that the camera wouldn't see the lens. I want the whole thing opened and cleaned out as it was extremely dusty when the assembly was loose. So I'll ask some questions while there...

08-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Just an FYI - received the following reply from Sigma this morning:

Thank you for your inquiry. there are no plans to discontinue the 50-500mm lens for the Pentax mount anytime in the near future. Unfortunately there are no plans to produce Pentax lenses with HSM capabilities at this moment.

Seems to fit with the previously posted info.
08-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 1979w72 Quote
Unfortunately there are no plans to produce Pentax lenses with HSM capabilities at this moment.
Bugger!
08-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
Bigma Update!!!!!

I came home from work today and the Bigma was here a day early. No photos yet. After unpacking the Bigma I had to run on the treadmill, eat dinner, and then take the kids out shopping. It was raining anyway so no major loss. The darned thing weigs a ton though. If the rain subsides I'll get out and snap some shots. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
It's been a week now, and still no photos. What gives?
08-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Bugger!
Well...you guys could spend a few minutes and bug Sigma so they know that people want it ;-)

See the thread I started on DPR:
please pester Sigma for HSM support: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
08-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
It's been a week now, and still no photos. What gives?
Monday - Rain
Tuesday - Rain
Wednesday - Rain
Thursday - Rain so I took pics of my parrot and posted them
Friday - Out with Family after work for dinner
Saturday - Trip to the beach with the Kids church youth group (Not carrying around bigma for 7 hours)
Sunday - church, brother's house for a party, volunteering at the church carnival
Monday - work, daughters "venturing crew" meeting, back volunteering at the church carnival

As you can see my time has been a bit limited. I did post one shot of my parrot in the "post your photos" section here
08-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Bugger!
Yeah, but look on the bright side, Sigma might've discontinued the Bigma on K-mount altogether. At least they didn't.
09-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #30
Forum Member

Here one from the german Pentax-related forum digitalfotonetz:

EXIF Information Details
Kamera Hersteller PENTAX Corporation Kamera Modell PENTAX K10D
ISO-Wert 100 Brennweite 500mm
Belichtungszeit 1/90 seconds Blende f/6.7
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo