Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 50-500mm APO DG

I took a day off today to relax because i have been burning the perverbial candle at both ends lately. After missing out on the discount pricing for the DA* 50-135 eariler in the week I was a bit bummed out, so making the decision to stay home and relax was an easy one.

While checking my email this morning I received notification from Dell Computers that my Bigma had been shipped on Monday. Yes I said Dell Computers. Not B&H, not Tri State Camera, or Adorama. I know that this will need a slight explanation so here goes.

I received an email for a 20% off discount for Dell in the Electronics and Accessories category. On a whim I went to the web site and found that they sell dSLRs and lenses. Searching for lenses for pentax only brought up pentax lenses but I saw that they also sold Sigma lenses. I searched through the Sigma lenses and found that they had the Bigma for pentax mount priced the same as B&H. A 20% discount on the retail of the Bigma is a good chunk of change so I went for it. When all was said and done I had to pay tax but shipping was free so I wound up saving about $150 off the normal price of the lens. Of course it was back ordered but I waited and waited and today I was notified that its on the truck and should be here early next week.

Why am I telling you all this?

First, I'm excited that I'm finally getting my bigma. I really dont have any friends who are camera people so my friends just think I'm nuts for buying it anyway. At least I know you folks will appriciate it.

And second, next time you get a 20% off coupon from dell, check to see if they have that lens you've been saving for before you toss that coupon in the round file.

08-16-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great story. I honestly forgot about Dell and there were many horror stories when the K10 came out with people waiting for ever. But in the long run they saved a good amount of money. I was not one of the . I am heading to the site now to see what other gems maybe llisted there. Thanks and nice story. You are not crazy to us
08-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Awesome MR. Hyde. I am sure you'll love the lens.
08-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Awesome MR. Hyde. I am sure you'll love the lens.

thanks. and I do owe you some personal thanks for letting me live vicariously through your bigma as I waited for mine

08-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
thanks. and I do owe you some personal thanks for letting me live vicariously through your bigma as I waited for mine
Haha, not that I supplied too many photos. I will get out and take some tomorrow just to get you inspired!

Look forward to seeing your results!
08-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
Forum Member

I too owe blwnhr a lot of thanks. Since seeing those fab motorcycle shots you posted I blew the budget and purchased one all £750 ($1400US) i think approx $2100AUS

Lovely Lens I am off to Africa at the end of the week so will post on my return
08-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bigma Update!!!!!

I came home from work today and the Bigma was here a day early. No photos yet. After unpacking the Bigma I had to run on the treadmill, eat dinner, and then take the kids out shopping. It was raining anyway so no major loss. The darned thing weigs a ton though. If the rain subsides I'll get out and snap some shots. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

08-21-2007, 05:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good for you. Heck take a picture of the cat across the room or the mail box out the window. lololololol
08-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still no use of the Bigma

it's been raining here since Sunday. I had to work late today as well. When I got home the wife and I took the kids to dinner then out shopping. Arrrrggghghhhghhg......

I had a great time but I want to zoom in on some birds or something and go at it. If it's still raining tomorrow when I get home from work I have another option......
08-22-2007, 02:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
After unpacking the Bigma I had to run on the treadmill
Was that because of the size of it? Gotta keep fit!
08-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Was that because of the size of it? Gotta keep fit!
Yes. Due to the enorminty of the lens and the total weight I have started an excersize routine so I could stand to carry it around..... LOL
08-23-2007, 05:16 AM   #12
Forum Member

I was informed by my local Pentax dealer that the Bigma is now discontinued with a Pentax fit not enough interest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
08-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #13
Inactive Account

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
08-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #14
Inactive Account

What?!?!

Are they nuts?
08-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Dave - They probably say that the old Pentax lenses you have do not fit on the new DSLR. I have not heard that about that at all. Was it Ritz?