Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@jsherman999: As I said, my question is largely theoretical.

I'm not sure what would be required to strip an existing coating, but coating an uncoated lens element should only require cleaning and prepping the elements the way a newly manufactured element is handled. I'm sure that in a mass production/ warranty service environment it would be much cheaper and more efficient to set aside a certain number of elements from each production batch to use as spares (even if it's just to replace the odd element damaged in handling or assembly at the factory) than it would be to prep and re-coat a damaged element as a one off process.

I had been thinking that one of the factories that handles coating eyeglass and other made to order custom optical lenses should be able to coat camera lens elements by vapour deposition the same way they handle their other custom work. I don't know if you've ever seen the process, but from videos I've watched they seem to be able to run single elements and small batches of elements (say a dozen or so at once) through their coating equipment. If you've ever ordered eyeglasses with optional coatings, those coatings are applied after the lens for each eye has been cut from an optical quality glass or plastic blank and then shaped to fit your frame selection.

I suppose the logical person to ask would be my optometrist the next time I see him. I don't actually own any lenses with uncoated optics that would be worth the trouble of disassembly and running all the elements through a process of unknown cost that may not offer any significant improvement without some trial and error.

07-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Have you heard of someone who will re-coat a lens? I didn't know anyone or any manufacturer did that, I thought that if you had a damaged coat, the 'fix' is to replace the whole element (if they're still stocked.)

I thought the coatings were applied at the point of element manufacture.

There used to be a few companies that would do polishing, coating and recementing. It was usually for repair work and could be cost prohibitive. Cemented groups can't be coated unless they are separated. ED type elements have a higher probability of breaking during repolishing. There was a guy at the Arsenal factory in Kiev that would do this kind of work but Arsenal got rid of the optics equipment. He operated as Araxfoto. Someone in Colorado used to do it but I don't know if they are still operational.

Welcome to Focal Point - Lens Repair, Lens Cleaning, Camera Repair