Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 400mm

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I think this is the correct forum to ask this...

Does anyone have any knowledge about a Sigma 400mm with a bayonet mount made pre digital?? Right now that's the only info I have.

Thanks

08-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
there are several models of this lens. the APO & AF models are pretty good. the preAPO model is a dog and too big to use as a paper weight. i had one. softest lens i've ever had. even a f8-11 it was still soft. i fell that the 400 should be sharp f5.6 so you can use it handheld for birding.. there was also a macro model that was supose to be good also.
08-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
there are several models of this lens. the APO & AF models are pretty good. the preAPO model is a dog and too big to use as a paper weight.
haha too funny. Yea if you can, make sure you can try it out before you buy the lens. Some coatings aren't very good. (more flare, lower contrast, more purple fringing)

Last edited by FotoPete; 08-16-2007 at 11:38 AM.
08-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Roy been a while.

Thanks Pete and Roy for the assistance.

What is APO and does dog mean good or bad. I'm not good at retaining some terms so would you hint what "soft" means.

I know I sound stupid but really, I'm (in a k)not.

08-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

APO means "apochromatic" Hard to describe, look it up on Wikipedia.

Basically means reduced chromatic aberration (fringes of colors around sharp edges). A lot of manufacturers' lenses are actually APO, but only Sigma marks their lenses as such. Many other manufacturers use other designators for the same feature.

dog = bad

Soft means "not sharp" - Basically everything is slightly (to extremely) blurry, even the parts of the picture that are in focus.
08-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

dog=bad. i shouldn't say this as i'm in rescue.
soft= low contrast flat image
let me see if i post something
08-17-2007, 05:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Again, thanks for the explanations guys.

I'll be able to be more precise in my description in about a week when I'll be able to see the lens itself. No no no I haven't ordered or purchased it.

jc

08-17-2007, 07:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
there are several models of this lens. the APO & AF models are pretty good. the preAPO model is a dog and too big to use as a paper weight. i had one. softest lens i've ever had. even a f8-11 it was still soft. i fell that the 400 should be sharp f5.6 so you can use it handheld for birding.. there was also a macro model that was supose to be good also.
I don't know if I would go so far as to say it is a "dog". It is what it is--a 400mm lens that you can get from fleaBay for a lot less than a A*400. It is definitely a bear to handhold at less than 1/250s on a camera without SR. On my K10D, the AF works significantly faster than it did on the DS.

I find the results to be contrasty, but I wouldn't classify it as soft. Even at 5.6. It does get some PF when pointing at things (like birds) siloutted against a black sky. I shot some hawks and other critters in high sunlight about a month ago and the results were tolerable. Since I didn't have anything else that would reach that far, I was sorta stuck with using it.

We may be talking about a different lens. Here is one on eBay currently, just like mine. I paid $160 for the AF version about 16 months ago.

Sigma 400mm mc lens - (eBay item 110159119933 end time Aug-20-07 11:34:09 PDT)

Here's looking forward to the DA*400/4
08-17-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
Forum Member

There were several models of the Sigma 400. The best of the bunch was the APO Tele Macro with 77mm filter diameter. It has a large rubber grip for easy manual focusing and a sturdy tripod collar. Switching between manual and autofocus is done by turning a small ring on the lens barrel which is very easy to use. The lens hood is built-in - I've found mine to be quite stiff and difficult to pull out.
08-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
roy
Inactive Account

eric,
dog, might be a little harsh. i had this lens for about 3 months and tried to get better images from it. i have only 7 shots that i kept out of hundreds. i may have had a bad copy. i've also listed the takumar bayonet 135.2.5 the same. the uncoated model. thing is i've seen many great shots from others with this 135mm. go figure
08-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's more info on this lens but I can't find any details about it:

Sigma mirror-telephoto 1:5.6 f=400mm MC Σ-1001208

It will fit on the ME, ME Super and the KX but NOT on the istD
08-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Does anyone have any knowledge about a Sigma 400mm with a bayonet mount made pre digital?? Right now that's the only info I have.
If you're referring to the Sigma A-series 400mm F5.6, then it's anything but a dog.

I've owned three of them, a MF one and two AF ones. I sold one of the AF ones to my Dad, and now that I've found another one, I plan to sell the MF one. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just can't justify owning three 400mm lenses (I also have the Pentax SMC-A 400mm F 5.6).

Within its limitations it's well worth owning, IMO. It's light, smooth to use, and capable of good results.

It will give some purple fringing if you shoot high contrast shots against a white background, and wide open there's a fair bit of chromatic aberration.

I took this with the AF one last weekend; apart from the annoyance of the frame being a touch too small, it's not too bad. The original will stand a lot more enlargement than this:

I took the following two with the manual focus one:

As I say, they aren't stellar performers, but I also have the Pentax SMC-A 400mm F5.6, which displays less PF and CA, but which weighs a pound more and is a lot less usable hand-held.

Last edited by ChrisA; 08-29-2007 at 02:13 PM.
08-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Here's more info on this lens but I can't find any details about it:

Sigma mirror-telephoto 1:5.6 f=400mm MC Σ-1001208
Are you absolutely sure it's a mirror lens?

Sigma did a 600mm F8 mirror lens, but the 400mm F5.6 I was talking about is not a mirror lens.
08-29-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I typed in exactly what it says.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 08-29-2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Add images
08-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I typed in exactly what it says.
Will grab a shot and post.
Fair enough. Not sure I'd be bothered with a mirror lens as short as 400mm. Is it fixed aperture? If so then a bit limited.

I have a Sigma 600mm F8 mirror lens which I've been quite disappointed with, since it's not as sharp as the 400mm A-series F5.6, even taking into account the additional enlargement you need with the latter.

Having said that, it is very compact. So if you don't mind a little softness, and the out-of-focus donuts, of course, then it's not bad. And with SR on the K10D, hand-holding it even in mediocre light is a realistic proposition.