Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is SDM patented?

My thinking is that...if there are any revisions/adjustments from the original patented design, they would have to re-patent it again would they?

but then i have zero knowledge on patenting something however it does sound logical.

07-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

They don't have to repatent when they revise/adjust a patented design. They can come up with new ideas and patent them, but nobody forces them to patent.

Patents in the USA last about 20 years. Think back to 1990 in some research lab in Japan. Google says Canon's first USM in 1987. So whatever they were doing back then is presumably ripe for copying relentlessly. So more and more USM technology will fall outside of their original patent grants.

Maybe Pentax lenses will get improved technology as the window continues forward exposing older protected ideas.
07-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't think Pentax needs to worry about anyone stealing SDM from them.
07-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Dang you Wheat! I am presently cleaning the decaf off my computer screen.

07-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ewe da man!! and absolutely correct! Thanks for the giggle, it's been that sorta summer and I needed a good laugh! Ya whacky Canuck! Maybe I need to get caught up on old Corner Gas epsiodes!
07-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Maybe I need to get caught up on old Corner Gas epsiodes!
Oh my gosh, that is my favorite show! It used to be on WGN, and I cant find it anymore. (Sorry for the thread hijack)
07-15-2010, 06:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I know everybody is getting a kick out of the idea that others might copy SDM.

But the fact is that many of the original SDM patents are hitting their end of life.

If canon's first USM was 1987, then 2007 is 20 years later and very nearly the same time that Pentax and other manufacturers brought out SDM/HSM/SWD.

My point is that we'll start seeing more improvements as more technology falls outside of patent protection.
07-15-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Looool that made my day.

Fully agree that would be their last worry. Maybe Tamron - who knows

07-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
My thinking is that...if there are any revisions/adjustments from the original patented design, they would have to re-patent it again would they?

but then i have zero knowledge on patenting something however it does sound logical.
patents are continually updated and revised to include technology that was not envisioned at the time, to offer continued protection.

My understanding of patents and how they apply is the following. You patent the idea, and what is important is that you make the application before you make a product commercially available, because the principle purpose of a patent is to protect the iventor and his idea so he can bring the idea to market.

If a patent is awarded, you have 17 years (I think) of protection, but if you do not make any attempt to bring a product to market the period is reduced to 5 years. This is done to avoid deliberate blocking of the market.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
They don't have to repatent when they revise/adjust a patented design. They can come up with new ideas and patent them, but nobody forces them to patent.
true patents are voluntary and technology is moving so fast now days, if you spend time to patent some things generally they are so out of date the protection is worthless because someone comes up with a better idea
QuoteQuote:
Patents in the USA last about 20 years. Think back to 1990 in some research lab in Japan. Google says Canon's first USM in 1987. So whatever they were doing back then is presumably ripe for copying relentlessly. So more and more USM technology will fall outside of their original patent grants.

Maybe Pentax lenses will get improved technology as the window continues forward exposing older protected ideas.
pentax's SDM might have arisen out of the power zoom application, but note that camera companies all trade patents all the time. Think about it. Pentax developed the pentaprism, yet erect correct left to right eye level SLRS were made by all manufacturers within a year or so, not 20, so obviously they licensed the pentax patent. The same is true of coatings, glass formulas, etc. All the camera companies share to some extent because they all feed off each other.

I disagree, there is obviously a wealth of what not to do, if th e16-50 is the example many times what does not work is much more important than what does.
07-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
even China wouldn't dare to pirate it.