Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Extension Tube set that works with AF Lenses

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Is anyone aware of an extension tube set that will work with the AF Pentax Lenses? I checked B&H and Adorama and found nothing. I also checked KEH and eBay and found nothing. What I'm finding seems to be only for Manual Lenses.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks....

07-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I believe Kenko makes a set of 3 extension tubes that works with AF lenses. A local camera shop is selling a used set for Pentax for 200.00 Cad, but you should read what Kenko has to say about Extension tubes and AF, first before deciding whether AF extension tubes are worth your while. (THK Photo Products, Inc.)

Thanks,
07-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info....I was aware of the limitations or variables they would introduce. I was thinking it would be nice to have a set to keep in the bag and if the situation came up and I didn't have the right lens with me, in a pinch I could use the tubes to get closer then I could have without one.
The big issue is trying to find a set that have the electrical contacts to allow the lenses to function.
07-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've tried the Kenko DG set for AF cameras, but AF doesn't work. In fact, once you open the box, it says to turn your camera to MF mode.

Ok, yes, I know that Macro work is mostly done with manual focus anyway, but it's a weird thing to put on a box

Auto aperture works fine though, and the focal length is transmitted to the camera.

The Vivitar AT-22 comes in two models, one which has the AE (auto exposure) contacts and one which doesn't. Otherwise, these work the same as the Kenko ones.

One weird thing is that SDM lenses (well, the DA*55 at least) can't be used with either of these tubes. The shutter speed varies wildly, the display on the back looks like you're trying to press the ok button constantly, and live view won't work.

I also have the Kenko Uniplus 25 tube. It preserves auto-focus and auto aperture, and works fine with SDM lenses. Wish I had the 12mm version, but it's really rare!

07-15-2010, 06:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Manufacturers eventually stopped making extension tubes when AF systems came out, partly for the electronics, but also because they could achieve better outcomes both with IQ and profits by selling dedicated macro lenses.
07-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If you are seeking the "A" functionality for example (p-ttl flash) you can accomplish that by fooling the camera into thinking you've an A type lens mounted; this can be done at the camera by short circuiting the "A" data pin on the lens mount.

If you are seeking the "AF" functionality you can accomplish that by buying old AF teleconverters and removing their lenses... this is easy to do.

Easiest of all is to buy a Raynox clip-on close-up len. I have a modified TC set up for use as an extension tube but I prefer to use the Raynox; image quality is superb and it is quicker to mount & easier to carry than extension tubes.

Dave in Iowa (now)
07-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Kenko "Unitube plus" works with all automatic functions, but I think you will find that AF is virtually useless with macro. Auto aperture tho is very nice to have. Unfortunately Kenko no longer makes it in K mount, but with a little searching and patience you can get on on eek bay.
I also bought a set of extension tubes from orenmc that have auto aperture functionality, I haven't tried AF on them but the aperture function works perfectly well. Here's a link
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/105842-sale-%5Bsold%5D-k10d-f-...ion-tubes.html

NaCl( I love macro-toys)H2O

07-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. As someone suggested I did some additional searching on eBay and found these. Could be a possible solution??

Macro Automatic Extension Tube Rings for Pentax K - eBay (item 220626351491 end time Jul-22-10 08:08:39 PDT)

They claim to work with all automatic functions?? I did note at the very bottom of the auction a little disclaimer regarding SDM lenses. Putting that aside these should work with all the FA lenses...right?
Does anyone having any experience with these folks...is this a reasonable deal??

Your thoughts....
07-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. As someone suggested I did some additional searching on eBay and found these. Could be a possible solution??

Macro Automatic Extension Tube Rings for Pentax K - eBay (item 220626351491 end time Jul-22-10 08:08:39 PDT)

They claim to work with all automatic functions?? I did note at the very bottom of the auction a little disclaimer regarding SDM lenses. Putting that aside these should work with all the FA lenses...right?
Does anyone having any experience with these folks...is this a reasonable deal??

Your thoughts....
Possible solution indeed--that'll cover everything.
I've heard of those, the Kubisek ones. According to this post on pentaxuser.co.uk, those also allow AF on screwdrive lenses, like the FA's and DA's.
HELP.....Kenko Extension Tubes or similar....?

If you get them, please post back and see if they work with SDM lenses.