Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kit p. lang Quote
other than fuelling my lba, i need something 'faster' than my da 40 for small group shots in available light
In which case, definitely rule out the 50, unless your small group is no bigger than 2 people, or you've got a *ton* of room to work with.

But also note that at f/2, you've got *extremely* limited DOF. You will struggle to get one entire person in focus. Pretty much no chance of getting a whole group in focus unless you line up their eyes *perfectly*, then use a T-square to make you are shooting *exactly* perpendicular to the line of sight. Which is to say, if you can't get more light, you're usually better off simply turning up the ISO and then accepting / dealing with the increased noise that results. Actually even the DA40 at f/2.8 is going to be fighting you DOF-wise shooting groups. I've got way to many group shots with half the group OOF because I was too stubborn to use flash, so I understand that reluctance.

But as Pentaxor points out, 35mm is still going to be pushing it for shooting groups. Depends on the size of the group and the amount of space you have to work with, of course, but it definitely limits you quite a bit. Between that fact and the DOF issue, I think you are best off going wider still. A 24/2 will have somewhat more DOF than a 35/2 simply because of the shorter focal length, but realistically, I think you're much better off saving a ton of money and getting an old manual 24/2.8. Shoot, I'd even use the kit lens at 20mm or so and f/4 - that much more DOF, and it's not like you need super fast shutter speeds at that focal length compared to 40mm or even 35mm.

Of course, LBA is LBA, so if you want another lens, go for it... but I do think you should be realistic about what it will and won't do for you. If you can afford the Sigma 24, that would make a fine choice if you don't mind the price or size and promise not to expect everyone to be in focus when shooting groups wide open. Or for about same money, get the DA21.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-17-2010 at 10:01 AM.
07-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's for groups you could easily find yourself backing off all the way to the wall and still not enough with 35 at times. If you are short of cash for 31, have a look at Sigma. It's 30/1.4, 28/1.8 and 24/1.8 are pretty well regarded lenses by their owners....
07-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or get a good bounce flash. Makes a world of difference.
07-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Or get a good bounce flash. Makes a world of difference.
Bounce flashes are great for private events or rooms small enough to make use of them. Otherwise, I prefer to shoot with my 28mm f/1.8.

Just today I was out having brunch at a local restaurant with some friends from out of town, and I much preferred not firing off a flash while taking pictures at the table. Same thing while eating with family on the enclosed porch at a beach house over the weekend.