Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #16

After 6 months with DA 35, I'm going back to DA 40 (which I sold). Main reasons are hunting, "bulk" and better rendering (for me - or it's just nicer bokeh) of DA40. I'll be getting D-FA 100mm/2.8 WR or Tamron 90mm macro for macro stuff instead.

07-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jerrymouse Quote
After 6 months with DA 35, I'm going back to DA 40 (which I sold). Main reasons are hunting, "bulk" and better rendering (for me - or it's just nicer bokeh) of DA40. I'll be getting D-FA 100mm/2.8 WR or Tamron 90mm macro for macro stuff instead.
I know that some people say that the DA35 has better IQ, but personally I feel the same way as you do. same reasons that you are saying.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 07-16-2010 at 09:48 PM.
07-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the pics from my DA40 just a little more than the pics from my DA35 most of the time. For whatever that is worth.
07-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I find the 40 to be a little too long most of the time, and a little too short most of the rest of the time.
But it is a surprisingly nice lens.
OTOH, the 35LTD has been spending a lot of time on my camera, it's replaced the 31 as my standard for everything except where I need the faster glass.
I haven't noticed any more focus hunting with it over the 40, but the 40 does focus very quickly, and this is even worse on the occasions where the 35 decides that it's a game of fox and hounds and goes all macro on me.

07-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I never really noticed much hunting with my DA35 except in a few specific situations. Generally it's quite quick to lock on, and it's definitely got the pixie dust. Easily my favorite of the DA Ltd's along with the 70/2.4, and I've owned them all.
07-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thrasis Quote
Huh, hadn't thought of using the DA40 + a raynox 250 - anyone seen any pics from this combo. Neat though. Certainly alot cheaper! (which I like!)
I don't have the raynox but I have the sony closeup filter. Attached are a couple of quick & dirty shots DA 40 with & without the sony. SOOC except for resizing. Both are at or near closest focusing distance.

Last edited by MPrince; 03-17-2016 at 02:39 PM.
07-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FWIW - and I promise this will be relevant - I am finding that while I used to shoot a lot in the "normal" range, that's not so true any more. Even when I did shoot "normal" more, I always felt I was better off "bracketing" the range with a 28 and 40 together than going for a 35. My zoom usage supported that, and while I never owned a 35mm prime, I felt very comfortable using the 28 and 40 for two noticeably different views of a scene, either of which felt natural to me in different ways. These two were my most used lenses.

Something has changed for me lately, though. Perhaps as a result of a certain *other* "limited" lens controlling my mind, I seldom reach for the 28 when I want wider than normal - I go *much* wider than normal. And I don't use the 40 as much either - if I want longer than normal, I'm more likely to go for the DA70. Like it's barely worth my while to take a picture if it's just going be, well, "normal".

I'm coming to think that the very qualities that define "normal" are making this range less appealing to me than it had been. Often, I find myself thinking I don't want a picture that looks just like what I'm seeing in that particular way. I want a picture that says something *different* - one that allows me to express some particular aspect of what I'm seeing.

I have no idea if what I'm experiencing is common or not. But projecting my own experiences to the discussion at hand, I find they could be used to support either choice here (sorry, I promised my comments would turn out to be relevant, not helpful!). One could decide that if one isn't going to shoot normal that much in the long run, you might as well get the macro so you can at least get *something* more out of the ordinary. On the other hand, you might decide that if 40mm ultimately starts to bore you, 35mm is going to bore you even more, and it's worth holding on to that slight telephoto view - why spend more money on a focal length you might not end up liking as much down the road.

Now, I rather doubt what I'm feeling here is typical, and for that matter, I won't be surprised if soon enough I find this feeling wearing off and the DA40 starting to beckon to me more. It's still my favorite lens for indoor candids. I guess I just haven't shot so many of those lately, and am still having fun shooting even these with my DA15.

But I guess my bottom line here: I'd be thinking about the unique qualities of the lenses that might continue to make them appealing (macro for DA35; small-size/fast-focus/slight-telephoto view for DA40) as your feelings about these are probably less likely to change than your feeling about focal length. Maybe.
07-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, you all have given me much to think about. I think right now, I might go with the Raynox and see what I think about it. I do like the DA40 for everything short of it's min focus range (and yeh, if it was f1.4, that would be great, but then I'd like to be 25 lbs lighter - we can't have everything). It's speed and compact nature (and picture quality) make it a real fun lens to have.

I already have a nice-ish Sigma 50mm macro and just picked up a 10-20mm, so I think this will work for a reasonable kit for a while.

I really appreciate the input again.