Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dog Lover, it appears you have just done internet research on the Voigtlander and concluded there were issues with the lenses BUT never actually owned one yourself.

Well I'll give you my take. The local agent for Voigtlander where I am is a friend of mine and lives barely 5 minutes away. I've bought a few lenses from him. I've had the opportunity to test several copies of each lens firsthand before I made my choice. Optically all were fine, though the 125mm Macro I had had an aperture assembly fault. I got a new copy straight from the factory the next week no questions asked. None of the lenses I examined first hand had dust issues or defects.

The former Pentax agent where I am is also the agent for Zeiss and after trying the ZK, I can personally attest that the build quality of the Voigtlanders are as good if not the same as the Zeiss. Optically, I don't think the Zeiss outshines the Voigtlanders one bit optically, in manual focus feel nor build quality. It is one thing to sing praises for Zeiss, (perhaps because you forked out a lot of money for it) but until you have another lens as a basis for comparison, it is debatable to make the claim that the Zeiss is superior to the Voigtlander.

In my personal opinion, fine as the Zeiss are, the lenses are overpriced and don't deliver any significant improvement optically compared to the Voigtlander. The Zeiss 100mm f/2 shouldn't even be called a macro lens but a close focus because it can't even achieve life size. Great as the image quality is it's an expensive joke. Even old lenses like the long discontinued Sigma 90mm f/2.8 Macro which goes to 1:2 is given a matching close-up diopter to achieve 1:1. The same for the plastic fantastic Vivitar/Cosina/Pentax FA 100mm f/3.5 Macro, they all are given a close-up diopter lens to achieve 1:1 magnification.

With the Zeiss you get nothing.

07-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
As far as your snide way of implying that I am making up the stories I read of Voigtlander, just google them.
I did no such thing. What is your attitude coming from? I guess you just aren't used to encountering people with a different opinion.

I do remember a Nikon forum as being particularly revealing.
I guess maybe those posts didn't show up on the searches I once did. Posts on forums sometimes are hidden from Google. And, in case you haven't noticed, we are talking on a Pentax Forum, so why you assume I should be intimately familiar with the complaints of Nikon users I do not know. I have read hundreds of posts from happy Voigtlander users here, so I guess that outnumbers your bad ones by a significant factor.

Are you this unpleasant in real life, or just on the internet?
Just on the internet, where people like you enjoy misunderstanding me, and imputing attitudes I simply do not have. You are the one who equated lenses with your mother (?!). You are the one who has made negative comments about Voigtlander -- I have said nothing of that kind about Zeiss.

Pot, meet kettle.
07-17-2010, 03:06 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was thinking the same thing. I own the FA 35/2 and was tempted to bite the bullet for the Zeiss, but was concerned about size and was not sure that the IQ would be that much of a step up.

Steve

(I got my FA 35 for $299, back before the price went up...)

some of us are waiting for the 35/1.4 but might try the undoubtedly far more affordable samyang version that is supposed to be due out later this year if it seems promising.
07-17-2010, 05:52 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
DogLover,

Do you have the Zeiss 35mm/2?
No, I don't, but it's on my "someday" list. It's tempting because I think it may be the cheapest new Zeiss available. I kind of feel like I may want AF in that focal length, though. I would like to have the 50/2 macro first. PatK, there is a 35/1.4 on the horizon?

Edit: I stand corrected. The cheapest new Zeiss available is the 50/1.4, then the 35/2 and the 25/2.8 (don't think that one gets much praise, though).

Last edited by DogLover; 07-17-2010 at 09:42 AM.
07-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #50

PatK, there is a 35/1.4 on the horizon?

there is a 35/1.4 from samyang that has actually been mentioned for this year in an interview with samyang execs. as far as i know, the zeiss 35/1.4 currently exists only in the original c/y version: it was discussed in several forums as "hoped for" sometime ago when rumors that zeiss would be bringing out zk lenses first started circulating. of course if it ever came out in k mount, it would be overweight, overpriced and overpraised - and some of us would buy it anyway, no second thoughts: the c/y version is supposed to be that good.
07-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
there is a 35/1.4 from samyang that has actually been mentioned for this year in an interview with samyang execs. as far as i know, the zeiss 35/1.4 currently exists only in the original c/y version: it was discussed in several forums as "hoped for" sometime ago when rumors that zeiss would be bringing out zk lenses first started circulating. of course if it ever came out in k mount, it would be overweight, overpriced and overpraised - and some of us would buy it anyway, no second thoughts: the c/y version is supposed to be that good.
Interesting. Thanks.