Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Brand Reputation for Lenses

With nothing else to go on other than just brand name, what order would you rank lens manufacturers who make pentax mount lenses? I grabbed this list from the review database and have ordered it alphabetically to start with.

Cosina
Pentax
Quantaray
Ricoh
Sigma
Tamron
Tonika
Vivitar
Voigtlander
Zenitar

07-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We all have to get out more often:

What's the point of a rating system like this based on brand alone?
07-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you are missing samyang, and lenses under all the brands they appear as including bower, pro-optic, etc,.. as well as splitting vivitar by actual lens maker, between kiron (kino) tokina, komine, and also separate vivitar nww, which are samyang and early vivitars.

I also won;t go into obscure lens brands
07-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can't tell if the OP is just misguided, or wants to just have a thread where things get debated ad-nauseum with no hope of reasonable conclusion. And it's Tokina, *not* Tonika. (I hope everyone who might think about following up to this thread instead goes out and takes some photos.)

07-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry OP, the above sentiments do apply.
We can have personal preferences, like that I may generally prefer Tamron glass over Sigma, but that's no indication of objective ranking (it's only objective for me. )
07-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there are several problems with this type of "ordering"

first is the very subjective issue of overall image quality vs test data.

Second is the predjuice somepeople have towards or against particular brands, for example some people are live and die pentax only supporters that look down on anything that is not a limited series lens

third is the very difficult of IQ (image quality not intelligence) vs cost. Sure some lenses might be superior but is the difference worth the cost.

fourth is that some reputations are built on one or two stellar examples or lenses, but on average the brand sucks.

fifth, is production quality and where does that come into things.

Finally is the issue of brands vs manufacturers. Quantaray, Vivitar, Bower, Pro-Optic, etc are re-branders, not manufacturers. While some lenses by vivitar especially are unique to their specifications like the old series one lenses, many lenses are made by unidentifyable third parties.
07-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
We can have personal preferences, like that I may generally prefer Tamron glass over Sigma, but that's no indication of objective ranking (it's only objective for me. )
I'm the opposite, but again, it's just me

07-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not really inclined to participate in this thread but I have to make a few remarks against my better judgement. Forgive me I'm not really commenting on this particular thread but more many that I've seen that essentially say, 'which thing should I buy next?' Anyway here goes.

This poll/discussion is all quite subjective as some of the commenters have correctly pointed out. I do get a little tired of these never ending opinion polls. I've generally stopped parcipipating in them and really don't see the point of many of them.

OP - why do you want to know this? I'd like to know.

Given that the experince of the members of this site is all over the place and that the number of responders to this directly may or may not be related to their expertiese what's the point of me saying gee, IMHO, brand a is better than brand c or d?

I think the OP would be better to doing some research on this before just tossing it out here for us to pontificate on.
[end of minor rant]

Sorry, I just don't see the point. I'll go back to lurking on these for the future.
07-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
i'm not really inclined to participate in this thread but i have to make a few remarks against my better judgement. Forgive me i'm not really commenting on this particular thread but more many that i've seen that essentially say, 'which thing should i buy next?' anyway here goes.

This poll/discussion is all quite subjective as some of the commenters have correctly pointed out. I do get a little tired of these never ending opinion polls. I've generally stopped parcipipating in them and really don't see the point of many of them.

Op - why do you want to know this? I'd like to know.

Given that the experince of the members of this site is all over the place and that the number of responders to this directly may or may not be related to their expertiese what's the point of me saying gee, imho, brand a is better than brand c or d?

I think the op would be better to doing some research on this before just tossing it out here for us to pontificate on.
[end of minor rant]

sorry, i just don't see the point. I'll go back to lurking on these for the future.
rant on
07-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
With nothing else to go on other than just brand name, what order would you rank lens manufacturers who make pentax mount lenses? I grabbed this list from the review database and have ordered it alphabetically to start with.

Cosina
Pentax
Quantaray
Ricoh
Sigma
Tamron
Tonika
Vivitar
Voigtlander
Zenitar

Here's the definitive order:

(tied for) 1st place: Pentax, Cosina, Ricoh, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar, Voigtlander, Zenitar.

Last place: Quantaray

07-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I feel very slighted...my favorite no-name is not on the list. Why no love for the Helios?

Not really a brand name, but then again, neither is Zenitar!

Steve

(Obviously, I have nothing useful to do...)
07-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I just like ranking things.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Pentax
Cosina/Voigtlander/Zeiss
Tamron
Sigma
Tokina
Ricoh
Vivitar
Quantaray
Zenitar
More or less, considering the range of K-mount lenses produced/sold by each brand. Some would put Cosina/Voigt/Zeiss above Pentax, but I love my Limiteds too much.

Now who wants to do a combined ranking of Star Trek and Star Wars films?
07-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
(I hope everyone who might think about following up to this thread instead goes out and takes some photos.)
11pm, raining, gale force winds ... and it's dark.

I'm off to make my list.
07-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

On a more serious note, the comments above, including the tongue-in-cheek are pretty well made. Any ranking is sort of silly (except for Jay's of course). Consider the following:
  • Most of the makers on the list have been in business for 40 years or more
  • All have had stinker products
  • Almost all have had excellent products
  • Some were lousy at one point in their history, but were excellent at other times
  • Only one (Quantaray) has a standing reputation for consistent mediocrity
  • The list is far from complete
Rather than shop by brand, I would suggest to the OP that he consider any lens purchase solely on the merits of that particular lens. You can get burned buying just about any brand if the lens is badly priced, in poor condition, or sucked to begin with.

Steve
07-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"I feel very slighted...my favorite no-name is not on the list. Why no love for Acme?"

Yours truly,
Wiley Coyote