Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
smc M 50mm F2.

I know this is an older model lens which came with Pentax MG. etc.(not rated the greatest I believe.)
Was able to come by one of these lens for a few cents, in almost brand new condition.
I would like to try it out but find I am having difficulty making it operational on a K10d.
Should it operate and if so, on what settings.
At the cost of under $10 (with MG camera) I am not going to lose to much sleep over it if it is unusable. Can always sell it.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

08-17-2007, 01:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

You have to change a setting in the camera to use the older manual lenses (and you don’t have to change it back to use modern lenses afterwards) it’s something like ”allow aperture ring” or something similar.

Then set the dial in M-mode, select aperture with the lens ring and press the green button to measure the light, and then fire away. Check the exposure and correct if necessary.

And turn off autofocus, if you don’t want the focus trap function. Could be frustrating otherwise if you are not aware of it.
08-17-2007, 01:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
pre- A lenses

You will also fingd that the K10 progresively overexposes as you stop down with the aperture ring. This has been discussed at length and can be solved by fitting a focus screen from the Pentax DS.

If you like the "feel" of the M50 2.0 (and i am sure you will) it is very worthwhile to swap the focus screen. You will then have access all the to K and M lenses, which are all top quality despite their age.
08-17-2007, 02:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the "A" version of this lens. It gets overshadowed by the 1.4 and the 1.7 versions. Just because it is relatively unloved doesn't make it a bad lens. I like mine just fine.

08-17-2007, 05:45 AM   #5

i also have the "A" version. i still use it on my k1000. But when i tend to shoot digital, i use this on my k100d.
still looking for a 1.4 or 1.7, or if really lucky enough the coveted 1.2

cheers!
08-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Bramela to use your M lens go to:
Menu\Custom Setting\using aperture ring and change it to Permited.
This will allow for aperture ring to be used on lens.
For program compatibility you have to reffer to K10D Operating Manual p.210

Good luck.

dPest you can find A50/1.7 and A50/1.4 on eBay. There was one A50/1.2 sold for around 300. Honestly not worth it.
You can get A50/1.4 for around 90 to 110, and A50/1.7 for around 30 to 40, sometimes even more.
I have A50/1.7, and I have to say it's my best lens. used on SuperProgram and now on K10D.
08-17-2007, 08:43 AM   #7

bram,
i stumbled across the- m 50 f2 and the- a 50 f2
at a pawnshop, bought both $10 a apiece. i'm a newby,
but on my k 10d they are both great . incredibly sharp.
i stuck a 2x tc on it ,and it was like i found another $400
lens. enjoy your find,you struck gold.
tc
08-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks guys for all your help. Yes I got operational OK and feel that I will get some pleasure out of this one.
I find a little difficulty with the Manual focus ( having to wear glasses) but I feel a new focussing screen may help. I've been considering that for a while as I do like Manual focus in the end.
Cheers guys, and I will see if I can post a few shots with the lens in the near future.

08-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #9
roy
Inactive Account

with some extention tubes this will make a good macro as well.. i just happen to have an extra set.
08-18-2007, 12:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Thanks guys for all your help. Yes I got operational OK and feel that I will get some pleasure out of this one.
I find a little difficulty with the Manual focus ( having to wear glasses) but I feel a new focussing screen may help. I've been considering that for a while as I do like Manual focus in the end.
Cheers guys, and I will see if I can post a few shots with the lens in the near future.
Looking forward to seeing some shots with this lens as well.
Very nice pick-up indeed.
08-18-2007, 03:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
First effort.

This is my first effort after I made the adjustments to settings as described above,
Put settings in, focussed and clicked (in rather ordinary light I might add)
Dont know actual settings but I dont think it is all that badfor a quick first attempt. Thanks heaps to you all for your input, much appreciated

Last edited by Bramela; 10-06-2007 at 04:34 PM.
08-18-2007, 04:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

50mm f2.0

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I know this is an older model lens which came with Pentax MG. etc.(not rated the greatest I believe.)
Was able to come by one of these lens for a few cents, in almost brand new condition.
I would like to try it out but find I am having difficulty making it operational on a K10d.
Should it operate and if so, on what settings.
At the cost of under $10 (with MG camera) I am not going to lose to much sleep over it if it is unusable. Can always sell it.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have the 50mm f2.0 lens that came off of my K1000. Very nice lens indeed and very sharp. It is a very capable lens.

Ben
01-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #13

F stop setting and camera modes

I have the two kit lenses with my K100D but have recently been using my old 50F2 lens off my K1000 for doing indoor basketball shots using the trap method described in another thread. The op manual explains that manual lenses in Av, Tv, P modes all act as though it is Av mode - but what I missed/finally figured out was that in these three modes the aperature is always wide open vs the actual manual aperture setting on the lens. My first post - so apologize if this is already covered in the discussions. The actual f-stop setting on the lens is only applicable/functions in Manual camera mode. This explained why I was getting a blast off white with the flash with my manual lens in Av mode. If you're in a rush - start with Av mode - knowing that it is using a wide open ap - you may be at max 1/4000 sec speed for bright settings - for indoors you'll get a slower shutter speed. I put the ring on the F2 setting and then I switch to Manual mode and adust the aperture and shutter speed - with experience I am normally shooting around F2.8, shutter of 1/90-125, ISO 800 and 1600 for gyms. My next efforts will be with my old F3.5 135 prime. For anyone that is interested in this more - check out pg 188 of manual - I missed this detail regarding manual lenses and the wide open aperture in modes other than Manual the first time through. I'm considering purchasing the FA 50 1.4 for bball but sense that my old lens and trap function is working reasonable well given that I still need a bit of DOF. Just something that took me a while to figure out with my old lenses but thought it might be of use. Ken.
01-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Welcome to our happy little online family.

Put your camera in "M" mode and go ahead and set your lens to your desired aperture. Prior to shooting press the AE-L button and the camera will stop down the lens, meter, and set the shutter speed for you. You'll need to go into the "Custom" menu and select "AE-L bttn with M exposure" (or whatever the heck it says that resembles that) and choose option #2 (Tv shift).
01-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #15

Neat, works like a charm. I'm looking forward to getting back to the gym to try it out. This along with the confirmation from the forum that the red flashing dot does not actually confirm focus but that I need to use the green hexagon alone should go a long way to improving my manual shots. Thanks for this. Ken.