Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For some reason, the title of this thread got me thinking of Jeff Foxworthy's "you might be a redneck" shtick. And now I'm imagining a whole series of jokes:

You might be a zoom shooter if....

and

You might be a prime shooter if...

FWIW, I consider myself a prime shooter, but I don't kid myself that this has anything to do with the quality of my images. Heck, I'm perfeclty happy with the image qulity from my 18-55 and 50-200 on the occasions when I use them. For me, it's all about the shooting experience and how I feel about it. I'm fine using the 18-55 and 50-200, but they are the two largest/heaviest lenses I use (!). If they could make f/2.8 zooms in packages no bigger or heavier, I'd be all over them.

OK, maybe not especially funny, but:

If you arrive at a jazz club and when they ask you where you'd like to be seated, you find yourself gauging the distance to the stage from each table and thinking about which lens that means you'll be shooting with most, you might be a prime shooter.

If the first the first thing you do upon being seated is to clear off the knick knacks from your table and then lay all your lenses out to get them ready, you might be a prime shooter.

07-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If you arrive at a jazz club and when they ask you where you'd like to be seated, you find yourself gauging the distance to the stage from each table and thinking about which lens that means you'll be shooting with most, you might be a prime shooter.
I'm not a big fan of my kit lens, and I much prefer having to manually meter and focus my 55mm lens.

The one zoom lens that is on my shopping list is the f 35-70mm. I think I can afford that one.
07-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #18
Inactive Account

The reason I shoot primes are not that I think I'll get that much better pictures out of the 15/4, 31/1.8 and 43/1.9 compared to my earlier 16-50, but I won't get f/1.8 and I won't get it as small as the limitedlenses. Weight and size matters a whole lot to me as I'm mostly a travel photographer.
07-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I've really gone from being a zoom to a prime shooter since switching to Pentax. I love the primes, but lately for some of the events I like to attend, the primes are slowing me down a little. I may be switching back to zooms soon.

But who knows. I love shooting with primes. All I want is a 5-500 f/.9 that's the size and IQ of the FA 31.

Then.

07-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love my primes too, but I wonder if I had a nicer zoom maybe I'd be more of a zoom shooter?
A big difference for me is I can (barely) afford some of the Limited primes (I have 2). But a top quality zoom is typically in a whole new price range that is kind of out of my league right now. I have a couple of so-so zooms and they are ok, but they do not add the "magic" to my images that the limited primes seem to.