Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #1

Info on Lenses needed - F2.8 120mm, F3.5 28 mm wide angle Pentax, etc.

I just bought these items (all in excellent condition) off of someone that was selling them locally.

I'm a very much a beginner and am wondering if anyone can tell me if these are good lenses and deals that I got on them, and what these particular lenses are good for. I'll be using them with a Pentax k-x

Thanks in advance!

This standard K-mount F1.8 55 mm lens is in excellent operating condition. $30

F2.8 120 mm Pentax telephoto lens in excellent working condition. $40

These k-mount extension tubes are great for macro-photography. Set of three different lengths with case. $30

F3.5 28 mm wide angle Pentax K-mount lens with case. In excellent operating condition $30

07-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All excellent lenses, as far as I know, and at very good prices. 55/1.8 should be good for portraits and pictures in low light. 28/3.5 is a very good wide angle on film, but not that wide on a DSLR. It can be used as a "walk-around" lens for general shooting, although indoors you may need a flash for more light. I have never used the 120/2.8, but it has a good reputation. In any case it isfairly rare and usually priced much higher.

If you put the extension tubes between your camera and say the 55mm lens, you will be able to focus much more closely than usual, but not far away. You will need a fair bit of light, though.

The tubes may have been about the right price, but everything else was cheap (55mm ) to dirt cheap (120mm). Good shopping! now get out there and take some pictures with them!
07-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
All excellent lenses, as far as I know, and at very good prices. 55/1.8 should be good for portraits and pictures in low light. 28/3.5 is a very good wide angle on film, but not that wide on a DSLR. It can be used as a "walk-around" lens for general shooting, although indoors you may need a flash for more light. I have never used the 120/2.8, but it has a good reputation. In any case it isfairly rare and usually priced much higher.

If you put the extension tubes between your camera and say the 55mm lens, you will be able to focus much more closely than usual, but not far away. You will need a fair bit of light, though.

The tubes may have been about the right price, but everything else was cheap (55mm ) to dirt cheap (120mm). Good shopping! now get out there and take some pictures with them!
I'm super-excited now. Wasn't sure which ones were good (or not), so I said yes to all of them. Thanks so much for the info. I can't wait to use them and post some pics.
07-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SweetSherri Quote
I just bought these items (all in excellent condition) off of someone that was selling them locally.

I'm a very much a beginner and am wondering if anyone can tell me if these are good lenses and deals that I got on them, and what these particular lenses are good for. I'll be using them with a Pentax k-x

Thanks in advance!

These k-mount extension tubes are great for macro-photography. Set of three different lengths with case. $30

F3.5 28 mm wide angle Pentax K-mount lens with case. In excellent operating condition $30
Well, for a beginner, you've struck gold. If those lenses are by any chance K lenses, they are cult classics and worth far more than you paid for them. You'll be able to recognize them by looking at the inner retaining ring where the lens information is printed. I only see K and M versions for the 120mm, here is the K.

Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC Pentax 120mm F2.8 Lens Reviews

To get an f2.8 in a prime lens these days, you're talking dedicated Macro lenses. Should definitely be a keeper.

I don't know a whole lot about the K55 1.8 but I have the M42 version of that lens, and it is indeed a nice one to have. It isn't exactly the same lens but here are a few shots from my Takumar 55 f1.8..

55mm SMC Takumar - a set on Flickr

The 28mm f3.5 is a decent lens (I suspect it's the M version), I have one myself that I pull out once in awhile. It's correct that it's not a super wide angle on the DSLR but it makes a nice unobtrusive walkaround lens once you wrap your head around metering and exposure with them.

The 120mm is easily worth what you paid for the lot. Good going!! Show us some photos when you get them.

07-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Jeff, Thanks for providing that info. I'm more than excited about getting these. They are definitely all k-mount and the extension tubes are asahi pentax. I almost feel bad that the guy didn't know that they were worth more as they are all in excellent condition. Gotta love Craigslist!
07-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi Jeff, Thanks for providing that info. I'm more than excited about getting these. They are definitely all k-mount and the extension tubes are asahi pentax. I almost feel bad that the guy didn't know that they were worth more as they are all in excellent condition. Gotta love Craigslist!
I understand they are K mount.. What I'm curious about is if they are "K" lenses or if they are "M" lenses. A K lens will say Pentax 120mm f2.8 and an M lens will say Pentax-M 120mm f2.8 on the ring surrounding the front glass element. Either way, you did good. The degree of that goodness depends on which versions they are.

BTW, Never feel bad about someone not knowing what they are selling. If they can post on CL, they have the same access to information that you have.
07-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I understand they are K mount.. What I'm curious about is if they are "K" lenses or if they are "M" lenses. A K lens will say Pentax 120mm f2.8 and an M lens will say Pentax-M 120mm f2.8 on the ring surrounding the front glass element. Either way, you did good. The degree of that goodness depends on which versions they are.

BTW, Never feel bad about someone not knowing what they are selling. If they can post on CL, they have the same access to information that you have.
I see what you mean now - I'm truly a newbie here - but there are no M's on the rings surrounding the front - so they are all K.

I was hemming and hawing for the past week about whether to get a Pentax camera or an Olympus, and this bargain made my decision super easy. I got the lenses and ordered my Pentax within a five minute time frame.
07-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Excellent value on everything in the lot. You did well.

I have the 55/1.8 and it is a gem of a lens and is easily my best fast-50. The 28mm is a little slow at f/3.5, but I have shot with the Super-tak version of that lens and was very impressed. I don't have any experience with the 120/2.8, but most Pentax moderate teles are pretty good.

You are really going to enjoy these lenses.

Steve

07-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I see what you mean now - I'm truly a newbie here - but there are no M's on the rings surrounding the front - so they are all K.

I was hemming and hawing for the past week about whether to get a Pentax camera or an Olympus, and this bargain made my decision super easy. I got the lenses and ordered my Pentax within a five minute time frame.
And therein lies the real beauty of going with the Pentax. You can buy a 40 year old lens and use it on your modern camera without modification. Some will say that doesn't matter but it sure makes it a lot more fun. Do be aware that there will be Some features that don't work and you will have to work around them to use these lenses. It's all worth it in my opinion but you're about to get a crash course in exposure and depth of field (DOF). Be sure to read the stickies in the forum thread about using Manual lenses and using the green button on your camera.

Enjoy them. You have some real bargains there..

07-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
those are great lenses and most importantly, they are the K version.

I can't comment about the 120mm since I haven't tried one, and I mostly prefer the 135mm lenses and have my biased towards those lenses.

the 55/1.8 is a great lens for portraiture.

the 28/3.5 is an awesome walk-around lens. I wouldn't dare say that it is only mediocre good but rather great. it renders people, structures, buildings, nature, animals, architecture and landscapes great. don't mind what others are saying that it's not wide enough and it's slow, as you will enjoy this lens a lot and you "WILL" find it extremely useful and enjoyable as a beginner. I'm simply saying that it won't negatively affect the quality of your images but rather would depend on how you will be able to use this lens efficiently at it's real capability. having said that, I'm not saying that this is a beginner's lens because it's not. it's an awesome lens.

I hope to post some samples here just to give you an idea. and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 07-17-2010 at 10:21 PM.
07-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Thanks in advance!

You got a great deal on all these items, especially the K120/2.8. It’s worth tens times what you paid for it if it’s in mint condition. You’ll love it, great for portraits and short telephoto work.
The seller clearly had no clue what its worth and how rare it is.

Enjoy!! Post some pictures of your new Pentax stuff if you get a chance.

Phil
07-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

a K55/1.8 sample.

07-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

same K55/1.8

07-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #14

Original Poster
Well, I have the lenses in hand, and all are in near mint, if not mint condition - one of them is missing the rear lens cap (standard K-mount F1.8 55 mm lens).

When I created this post last night, I arranged to get this, but didn't have them yet.

The guy was super nice and almost posted these excellent lenses on e-bay and I am so glad he didn't, as I probably wouldn't have been able to afford to get some of them. He was the original owner of the lenses.

Thanks again all for the info and pics that you showed using these lenses. These are all definitely K versions and all in mint condition. I'll post pics of them as soon as i get my k-x this week.
07-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

and the k28/3.5