Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DA WR lenses dust magnets?

I can't seem to keep dust off the front elements of my WR lenses for more than a few seconds, while my DAL is surprisingly clean and resilient, both are being used and stored in the same conditions.

I only have the 3 lenses in my signature. My DAL is a few months old, and has been throughly cleaned with the scrubbing end of a lenspen quite regularly. The two WR lenses were opened 8 days ago and have only been touched with with the brush end of the lenspen and not the scrub end, basically in the same condition they came out of the box.

Why is this happening? I understand that lenses have coatings, did I wipe the coating off of the DAL and thus dust has less to stick to?

07-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like static may be involved.
07-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
is there a solution for that?
07-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Inactive Account

What do you mean by "Scrubbing"?

07-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
What do you mean by "Scrubbing"?

Cleaning tip I guess what's it's called? the side that's not the retractible brush
07-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Why is this happening? I understand that lenses have coatings, did I wipe the coating off of the DAL and thus dust has less to stick to?
It is highly unlikely that you removed the lens coating with your lenspen.

Don't worry about the dust. It will not have any effect on your pictures and will not be noticeable in your pictures, and you will not even be able to see it in your viewfinder.
07-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Sounds like static may be involved.
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
is there a solution for that?
Ditch the polyester leisure suits...

Seriously though, static may be a contributing factor as might a dusty environment. In any case, you need not be too spastic about a little dust. The best thing for any lens is to avoid cleaning, rubbing, scrubbing, etc.. Here is the order to work from first resort to last resort:
  1. Rocket blower
  2. Clean microfiber or lens tissue (use breath to moisten lens surface and use VERY light pressure in a circular motion)
  3. Water-based lens cleaning solution with lens tissue
  4. Lens cleaning pens and such (last resort)
The blower should be adequate for most dust. A few specs here and there really don't do that much harm anyway. Light finger prints will usually yield to a microfiber cloth. Sticky finger prints or gross oil contamination will usually require lens cleaning solution. I honestly don't know when I would use any solvent or abrasive based product. Always be gentle and never scrub. There is a wide variability in the hardness of lens coatings and some are quite fragile. Some types of optical glass are similarly very soft.

One special case is salt spray. Filters should be removed and flushed liberally with fresh water to dissolve the salt. If you get the spray on the lens itself, use a series of saturated lens tissue wads followed by dryer wads to move the salt from the glass.

Special care should be taken to avoid damaging the lens rear element while cleaning. The front can actually take a fair amount of abuse without affecting performance. Even small scratches on the rear will degrade the image.

Steve