Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar 24mm/2.8 vs Vivitar 28mm/2.5

Hi,

With regard to this 2 lens:
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Vivitar 24 mm f2.8 Auto-aperture MC close-focusing Lens Reviews
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Vivitar 28mm F2.5 Lens Reviews

Serial number of Vivitar 28mm/2.5: starts with "22".

I am choosing one out of these 2 lens. Questions:
- What is the difference between the image quality? This is my main concern.
- Is there a 'huge' difference between the angle of view?

There are not too many reviews on the links, so some input/experience would be very much appreciated.

The price is about the same. Which one would you choose?

Regards,
Joseph

07-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

do you know the make of the 24?I would personally lean that way if it is a Komine or a Tokina. I am not particularly impressed with the Kiron (#22xxxxxx) 28mm f/2 i have - it had gummed up aperture blades which i understand to be very common with Kirons.
you should also reach out to rparmer (Robin) who is our forum expert on the Viv wide angle lenses.
07-18-2010, 12:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the referral. I'll drop him a message.

24mm: It reads "Vivitar 24MM 1:2.8 MC WIDE ANGLE 52MM" on the front. The side looks similar to the one in the link.

mikeSF: What do you think of the IQ of the lens? Do you have some sample pictures?
07-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I am glad people appreciate my contribution, but I would fall short of calling myself an "expert" on such things. For one, there is an absence of hard data on the many variations -- their optical formulas for example. (I did once make contact with a Vivitar engineer but nothing came of it.) Second there are simply too many different variants for me to be cognisant of all the differences. Even though I have six or seven of them, that is nothing compared to the complete list (37 and counting!).

Another issue when looking at a particular sample is that these lenses are old enough for problems like oily blades (as Mike said) to raise their heads. And yes, the only reports I have heard of this happening are from Kiron lenses. Does this mean one should avoid Kiron? No! For one, they tend to have top-notch image quality. For another, there may simply be more reports of Kiron blades getting stuck because people are more aware of Kiron as a manufacturer in the first place. (For example there is a dedicated Kiron Yahoo group.)

Add to this the issue of sample variation even between lenses made identically and we have a very large morass to wade through. My starting point is always the Vivitar Bestiary, which at least lets us know which lens we are talking about.

OK, now to your two lenses. The first, "Vivitar 24MM 1:2.8 MC WIDE ANGLE 52MM" is not a 28mm and in fact does not appear in a similar variant in our chart. Neither do you indicate manufacturer. If the serial starts with "28" it would be made by Komine, and hence might be a wider version of the A04. If it is truly like the picture in the review section -- and has the A setting -- it might well be useful to you, due to its automated use and wider field of view. "MC" is a good sign, though most of these lenses are coated... we simply do not know how well.

The second lens appears to conform to the M14: "Vivitar / WIDE-ANGLE / 28mm 1:2.5 / No. 22xxxxxx / AUTO" [62mm], except that the serial is truncated in the sample shown in the review. If it is that lens note that it is an M42 mount mount. The reviewers refer to the similar K-mount lens with a 67mm filter ring, but I have documented none with exactly the same markings. perhaps they are referring to the similar K14, which is marked "Vivitar / 28MM 1:2.5 / AUTO WIDE-ANGLE / NO. 22xxxxxx / Ø67MM"?

I would have no way of telling which would be a better lens, but ask yourself if you would prefer 24mm to 28mm. They are different enough, comparable to the difference between 35mm and normal on full-frame.

In terms of IQ, I think people rating these as 8 and 9 are being too generous. Any contemporary Pentax lens is likely to be as good or better, even the zooms. However Pentax does not make a 24mm or 28mm prime, and when they did they were relatively poor (except the FA*24). So if you really prefer a prime (for street shooting say) they are worth checking out.

Please note that I always stop down once and prefer to stop down twice for optimum quality. These lenses are soft wide open. Thus the difference between f/2.5 and f/2.8 may be greater than it appears. By which I mean that at f/4 the faster lens might be proportionally sharper. Or it might now. Don't get your hopes up!

Value for money is what we are talking about here, with nice manual focusing and solid build. But do not expect supreme quality. However for many the quality will be good enough. If you've got the cash, try one and see!

Last edited by rparmar; 07-18-2010 at 08:16 AM.
07-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, don't forget the giant Vivitar 28mm As FA31mm Replacement? thread.
07-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
wow! thanks for the info. i've read the thread before but little did i knew i was talking to THE ONE!

i'll go collect more info and catch up with the thread before making up my mind.

thx for the detailed explanation here!
07-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the 24 and it has some real character. Plus, it's fairly rare, which is a decent reason to pick it up if you can get a good price.

07-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by josephleaf Quote
Thanks for the referral. I'll drop him a message.

24mm: It reads "Vivitar 24MM 1:2.8 MC WIDE ANGLE 52MM" on the front. The side looks similar to the one in the link.

mikeSF: What do you think of the IQ of the lens? Do you have some sample pictures?
it would not be helpful for me to comment on IQ since i do not have the exact same lenses - i am sure the make has everything to do with that.

My Kiron 28/2 with the sticky blades also has several tiny bubbles in the glass. Also, the bokeh is downright ugly at 2.0 and 2.8. I will definitely think twice about buying Kiron lenses in the future.

My Viv 24/2.8 is a Tokina with the TX-mount (interchangeable mount system). It is very sharp and just slightly wider than the 28's, obviously. It also focuses closer than any of the others i've had.

The best way to evaluate them is to buy both and sell the one you like least. That technique has been the ruin of many a forumite, but hey, somebody's got to do it.
I would not be spending more than $25-$40 for these Viv wides but i see that one has an A-setting, which would command a higher price. I wouldn't know what to do with an A-lens because i am a strictly manual shooter, but could be a benefit for you.

good luck and nevermind Robin's modesty, he IS the expert around here!
07-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

FWIW, here is my Kiron 28/2 on its best behavior (stopped to f/8 or f/11):

(this pic has been sharpened and contr/sat boosted)
07-19-2010, 04:30 AM   #10

Original Poster
@Ira
the 24mm: what's the make? is it the same as the one in the review page?

@mikeSF:
nice picture!
how much would you pay for a working
- 28/2? (serial: starting with 22) (K-mount)
- series 1 28mm/f1.9 VMC M42? (serial: starting with 37)

wouldn't mind trying (now that LBA has already kicked in...), but would like to know the 'treatment cost' for this affliction. :P
07-19-2010, 04:52 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Ira

@mikeSF:
nice picture!

wouldn't mind trying (now that LBA has already kicked in...), but would like to know the 'treatment cost' for this affliction. :P
I don't know what the hell this is. It's called "Auto Wide Angle," minimum F stop F16, has an M-A switch, 58mm filter thread, and utilizes a "U" mount to M42 (whatever that is).

It's 8 blade, but what I just noticed that looks so weird is the small diameter of the aperture, even wide open. It's tiny, like maybe 1/2" max wide open.

It appears to be metal like the early Taks, but has a narrow rubber focusing grip, which came along later.

I would be happy to post a picture, but alas, I'm without body.

Last edited by Ira; 07-19-2010 at 05:03 AM.
07-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
My Kiron 28/2 with the sticky blades also has several tiny bubbles in the glass. Also, the bokeh is downright ugly at 2.0 and 2.8. I will definitely think twice about buying Kiron lenses in the future.
That is an aberration in more than one sense of the word! I would not have that put you off the manufacturer. If you read historical reviews they were generally considered to match of exceed the Canon and Nikon lenses of the day. But of course older lenses will eventually develop problems. And lens technology has moved on in the decades since.
07-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
That is an aberration in more than one sense of the word! I would not have that put you off the manufacturer. If you read historical reviews they were generally considered to match of exceed the Canon and Nikon lenses of the day. But of course older lenses will eventually develop problems. And lens technology has moved on in the decades since.
understood, but i am afraid there is sufficient foundation for my alarm. I joined the Kiron Yahoo group to research this a bit and have found that the helicoid grease Kiron used specifically had a tendency to migrate and solidify on the aperture blades. [paraphrased from my memory] It seems that sooner or later, a Kiron lens will likely need to have the problem addressed, so my personal position is that i will only look at Kirons for which a professional aperture cleaning has already been conducted.
Meanwhile, there are plenty of Komines and Tokinas and others that have excellent IQ and construction and do not have this "curse".
07-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian

@Ira

@mikeSF:
nice picture!

I guess I'd pay $40-ish for a good 28/2 (#22xxxxxx), but i think the one you are looking at has A-contacts right? People pay more for that.

OTOH, The Series 1 28/1.9 is going to be a much better lens, IMO. I have the K-mount version of that one, by Tokina (ser #37xxxxxx) and it is a noteworthy lens indeed.
I've posted this pic before but here is one i took recently using the Series 1:

Last Sip

This is f/8 with flash

These sell for more money and well worth it, i'd say.
07-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote

My Viv 24/2.8 is a Tokina with the TX-mount (interchangeable mount system). It is very sharp and just slightly wider than the 28's, obviously. It also focuses closer than any of the others i've had.
here is a pic from my Viv 24mm/2.8 (Tokina), TX mount:

#1 Stargazer Lily

here is what my 24 looks like: