Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #1

SMC Takumar 1.8 on a KX - I'm a new to DSLR

I've got a Kx coming in the mail tomorrow hopefully and I'm getting excited. I'm making the switch (not completely though) from my Spotmatic F.

I've got the Takumar SMC 1:1.8/55 screw mount lens.

It has the auto switch but I've never known what it does. It's never actually moved for me, it's like it's jammed in place. It's stuck in the auto position, but that's never seemed to matter. I've always been able to get great shots out of it and so I never worried about it.

I'm wondering about using this lens with my new Kx. I've read a little about stop down metering but it doesn't make that much sense to me yet, maybe it will be clear once I've got the camera in my hands.

What does the auto function do on these Takumar lenses? Does it allow the camera to control the aperture? Would that mean I potentially don't have to do stop down metering?

I love this lens and want to keep using it, I just worry that it'll be a pain to use with my Kx.

thanks for the help

Last edited by devonteran; 07-18-2010 at 04:43 PM.
07-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The lever is not stuck. There's small pin on the rear of the lens that needs to be depressed in order to switch the lever. Once the lens is mounted on to a camera body, you'll be able to switch to Manual mode.
07-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the Auto position, the lens remains at max aperture UNTIL you depress the shutter button for ease in focusing. In Manual, the aperture changes as you rotate the aperture ring. Since the "modern" K-mount camera bodies don't have a lever to stop the lens down using the pin on the lens you'll have to continue to use it as you've apparently always done -- in manual mode or AV mode with stop-down metering.

Start with the first thread in the Beginner's Forum for advice:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html

It's a fine lens on the DSLRs -- basically, you're now using the famous 85/1.8 without spending $350+. Enjoy.

H2
07-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
The lever is not stuck. There's small pin on the rear of the lens that needs to be depressed in order to switch the lever. Once the lens is mounted on to a camera body, you'll be able to switch to Manual mode.
The pin is at 3 o'clock in the 3rd picture.

Taking pictures with a M42 lens is a bit different than taking one with a M lens. Because the camera can't control the aperture you have to use manual mode on the lens. You can use either AV mode or M mode with the AV+- button. If you use AV mode you will have to use the AV+- button to set the EV. You will need anywhere from +1.3 EV to +2 EV depending on aperture. If you use M mode, pressing the AV+- button will set the exposure. The main problem is focusing. As you stop down, the viewfinder gets darker. So you have to focus wide open then stop down and meter.

The 55 1.8 is a great lens. I own 3 different versions: the Auto-Tak, the SMC Tak, and the SMC K.

Last edited by boriscleto; 07-18-2010 at 05:24 PM.
07-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, that's helpful info. I'll just get used to stop down metering. I love this lens so it will be worth it.

I've got another, somewhat, but not totally related question:

When I get my Kx is there any suggestion of what size memory card I should get? I'm planning on using it for video some as well as photo.
07-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

You do know that you are going to need a M42 to K mount adapter...

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)

07-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You do know that you are going to need a M42 to K mount adapter...

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)

Yep, I've got that much.

I've been doing a lot of research the past week because I've been waiting for my camera in the mail. I'm getting soooooo excited to start using it. My wife and I are going to Alaska so I'm hoping to get some fun shots with it off the bat.
07-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Danger, Will Robinson. Danger:

M42s on the Kx in Av mode are known for severe underexposure. That's why I shoot in M only.

In addition, on the Kx, you don't have to use the Green button. The Ev button sets the shutter speed by default.

So I shoot like this in M mode:

1) Manually set ISO.

2) Lens is on M, turn to F stop you want, focus and wait for beep and hexagon confirmation. (Yes, you'll still get focus confirmation with the manual lens.)

3) Hit Ev button, which will set the appropriate shutter speed.

4) "Say cheese!"

5) Rinse and repeat.

You can also of course focus wide open and then stop down.