Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 04:27 AM   #1

CPL for DA Ltds 21mm/41mm/70mm

if i were to buy 1 cpl to share with 21/40/70, would the hoya cpl be good?
no vignette on the 21 or side effects for 40 and 70?
thanks

07-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Hoya CPL is what I'd recommend, and no, I wouldn't expect there to be any vignetting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Forum Member

I use Hoya CPL with 21mm and 70mm, no vignetting. I noticed that I get a higher chance of producing a lens flare with the CPL attached.

07-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Eds

Maj- I believe this is a common issue with any lens filter due to reflections between the filter and the lens glass. Seems more and more I read posts where people discuss using no filters because of these sorts of problems. Eds

07-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens flare with a CPL? Are you also using a suitable hood?
07-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Lens flare with a CPL? Are you also using a suitable hood?
I can't seem to get my cpl on to my DA15 because of the built-in hood getting in the way, and to put it in the DA40 I have to take the included hood off. Does anyone know of a good replacement hood that could be used with the DA40 to accommodate a CPL? Or a CPL that would fit on the DA15 without interfering with the hood?
07-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Does anyone know of a good replacement hood that could be used with the DA40 to accommodate a CPL?
A generic 49mm collapsible rubber lens hood for standard lens will work on the DA 40mm. Just make sure it has filter threads. You can screw the CPL into the hood, pop the rubber hood back to make adjustments, pop it forward to shoot.

07-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
A generic 49mm collapsible rubber lens hood for standard lens will work on the DA 40mm. Just make sure it has filter threads. You can screw the CPL into the hood, pop the rubber hood back to make adjustments, pop it forward to shoot.
I had a metal 49mm hood which I threaded into the front of a CPL, then just rotated the whole hood--probably not as elegant as audiobomber's suggestion because it's so easy to turn it by accident, but it was a decent but cheap hood (about $8 from Heavystar on eBay) and came with its own front cap, so I'd leave it set up like that.
07-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I can't seem to get my cpl on to my DA15 because of the built-in hood getting in the way, and to put it in the DA40 I have to take the included hood off. Does anyone know of a good replacement hood that could be used with the DA40 to accommodate a CPL? Or a CPL that would fit on the DA15 without interfering with the hood?
On my DA15 I use a Kenko PRO1 Wideband CPL, it works fine as it doesn't interfere with the lens hood and I've got great results out of this combination. You have to retract the hood in order to turn the polarizer though...