Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #1

Help with Ricoh Rikenon XR 50mm f/1.7

I have a Penax K-X and just received a Ricoh Rikenon XR 50mm f/1.7 that I bought from a forum member (great transaction!). From what I've read, this doesn't have the Ricoh pin issue to worry about.

From what I've learned, this is a manual lens. After I mounted it, changed focus to MF, and set my K-X to M, it won't take any pictures. Setting to any other shooting mode, it shows as being in Av but still won't shoot any pictures.

The LCS shows the ISO and Aperture is a blinking "F---", which I expected since I don't think it will show the aperture.

Does anyone know if there's any other settings that I need to make or any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Lester

Last edited by buckyweet; 07-19-2010 at 11:18 AM.
07-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
From your message it sounds like you forgot to allow the camera to operate when it doesn't know the aperture.

I don't have the Kx, but this should be easy for you to find in the menu. Go in to the menu and look for "Using Aperture Ring" and set it to "Permitted."

This lets the camera know not to expect aperture information.

If you go to the beginners forum there is a sticky thread at the top with instructions for using fully manual lenses on DSLRs.

Here is the thread, with the article in the first post

Link

Last edited by lowspark86; 07-19-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Add Link
07-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
Setting the "Using Aperture Ring" to "Permitted" did it. Thanks for your help, lowspark86, and for pointing me out to the Beginner's Forum!
07-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the K-7, the catch-in-focus is a great feature to use when using MF lens. This is one advance feature that my K10D does not have.

07-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
With the K-7, the catch-in-focus is a great feature to use when using MF lens. This is one advance feature that my K10D does not have.
Catch-in-focus works just fine with my K10D. The only requirement is that the lens have a conductive base.

Steve