Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #1

Teleconverter lenses?

I'm new here and was wondering if anyone has uses a 1.4X or 2.0X Teleconverter lenses on Zoom Lenses and how the work quality wise. I'm thinking of the new Tamron 18-250 f2.5-6.3 lens with one or the other telerconverter lenses on the K10D. I know it would be manual focus with it on but the reach would be nice and it would be way lighter than the Sigma 50-500lens.

DonR

08-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
lol don't bother with a teleconvter. Quality will be ruined and your aperture will drop to a 12.6 on the long end. You'll be needing a LOT of light to shoot let alone see through your viewfinder.
08-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
lol don't bother with a teleconvter. Quality will be ruined and your aperture will drop to a 12.6 on the long end. You'll be needing a LOT of light to shoot let alone see through your viewfinder.
Thanks Pete. That is exactly what I needed to know.
08-17-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

i agree. you might get by with a 1.4x... i've never liked the IQ of a 2x on any zoom.. too much glass in the way. of course there are combos that will work but the cost is prohibitive.. you may as well buy another lens.

08-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've tried my tamron 70-300 with a tamron 1.4x teleconverter. The end result was unremarkable; not bad but not stellar. Also, AF will work (very slowly) in very good light, but predictably it hunts a lot when the light is lower.

I'd recommend cropping to the desired framing to see if you can get the quality of image you're after with the 18-250 as opposed to going with a teleconverter.

I'm very pleased with the quality of the Tamron 1.4, but I prefer not to use it with my zoom.
08-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

A TC will work well in bright daylight with a reasonably fast lens, if the lens has decent image quality. If the lens's image quality is marginal, the TC will just make it worse (garbage in, garbage out).

A 2x TC needs REALLY good input - A sharp lens that is fast. I wouldn't use a 2x with anything slower than an f/4 lens.

A 1.4x TC is a much better compromise. It multiplies aperture by 1.4, i.e. you lose one stop. An f/5.6 lens becomes f/8, which isn't that bad in bright daylight. Unfortunately the 18-250 is slightly slower than 5.6 at its maximum zoom.

There's one problem though - currently the K10D and K100D are not "teleconverter aware" as far as SR goes. If you put a TC onto either, the lens will still report its unmodified focal length to the camera, not the modified one. As a result the camera will undercorrect for camera shake. This will be more significant with a 2x TC than a 1.4x, but my experience is that a Tamron 70-300 lens with a 1.4x TC basically requires additional stabilization even in broad daylight. The Bigma, on the other hand, can (barely) be handheld in daylight from what I've heard.
08-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Inactive Account

How do you think a TC would perform on the upcoming new DA* 300 F4?
08-19-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Entropy

When I start up my camera (K100) with a TC in place, I am asked to select the "modified" focal length in order to adjust the SR system properly.

Takes about 3 seconds.

I assume this is also the case with the K10?

08-19-2007, 07:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
When I start up my camera (K100) with a TC in place, I am asked to select the "modified" focal length in order to adjust the SR system properly.

Takes about 3 seconds.

It works that way my my K10D and a Tokina "Doubler".
With my Vivitar 105/2.5 I just choose 200.
I just checked with my M50/1.7 and still works the same way.

BUT, my TC doesn't have the electrical contacts so I don't know how it works with a TC like the Tamron 1.4 that I think does have the contacts.

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 08-19-2007 at 07:38 AM. Reason: additional info
08-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote

Takes about 3 seconds.

You must either be using an old manual lens or an old teleconverter that does not pass lens information through to the body.

New lens + new TC = body sees lens information (so does not ask for FL), but sees incorrect lens info.
08-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What brand TC is that Entropy?
08-20-2007, 07:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
What brand TC is that Entropy?
Oops, sorry about that. Thought I mentioned.

Same Tamron 1.4x that Andrew Faires mentioned.
08-22-2007, 02:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can confirm many of the points raised here.

For a TC to work, you need to have a very good TC and a fast lens.

I use the Sigma 1.4x that I bought when I bought the 70-200 f2.8 it works very well. Only issue is that Pentax cameras do not modify the focal length with a TC. as a result shake reduction is set to wrong focal length. I have advised pentax of this and requested they give a menu (like the one for manually setting focal length) where we pick a TC ratio.

I also use a 1.7x AF TC which gives a degree of autofocus with manual focus lenses. I use this with an older Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5 and also with a pentax SMC 300 mmF4.0. Results are good with both.

Note anything slower than F4 is really an issue with autofocus working.

Have not tried yet low cost 2x TCs.
08-22-2007, 03:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I can confirm many of the points raised here.

For a TC to work, you need to have a very good TC and a fast lens.

I use the Sigma 1.4x that I bought when I bought the 70-200 f2.8 it works very well. Only issue is that Pentax cameras do not modify the focal length with a TC. as a result shake reduction is set to wrong focal length. I have advised pentax of this and requested they give a menu (like the one for manually setting focal length) where we pick a TC ratio.
Many have requested this from Pentax (I have), so perhaps it will come in a firmware upgrade one of these days? I would prefer a DA* teleconverter though... One that's weather sealed, has powerzoom contacts for SDM and does the focal length calculation automatically. Preferable a 1.4x and a 2x. Please Pentax....

The Sigma TC I have (the EX2x) doesn't have powerzoom contacts so it doesn't retain SDM, the Tamron 1.4x does have them.

Wim