Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 03:20 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
How to know if a lens is made for Pentax???

Hi,
I am a beginner and I am confronted with a situation where I had seen a bunch of old lenses in a second hand market. I wanted to check if there is any information on the lens that says if the lens fits a Pentax k-mount or canon or Nikon etc. But I was disappointed.

I want to know if there is a way to know (any code on the lens etc) if the lens is made with a Pentax k-mount.

07-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oftentimes, this isn't in the lens name, but rather in the product number. Therefore, always be on the lookout for "for Pentax", and inspect the mount visually.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-20-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
pay attention to its mount. its not that hard actually. somehow it will look confusing at firts time, but you will understand surely.
07-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #4

Might be silly answer but you could take a picture of a K mount (print it of course) and keep with you to compare while out.

07-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gut1kor Quote
Hi,
I am a beginner and I am confronted with a situation where I had seen a bunch of old lenses in a second hand market. I wanted to check if there is any information on the lens that says if the lens fits a Pentax k-mount or canon or Nikon etc. But I was disappointed.

I want to know if there is a way to know (any code on the lens etc) if the lens is made with a Pentax k-mount.
Seriously, just bring your camera with you. You're going to want to use the camera to take a few pics to inspect the lens anyway. This really isn't that hard.
07-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

A lot of third-party lenses will have a "PK" printed or stamped on the mount or rear cap. That's the easiest way. But often I'll find ones that don't have it too, so I'm sure you'll figure it out after a little trial and error.
07-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My rule of thumb: if the seller doesn't even know that much about the lens he is selling and you can't test it for yourtself, don't buy the lens. Who knows what else the seller doesn't know (like, lens is completely broken?)

07-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Be careful....

Be sure to familiarize yourself with the "famous" Ricoh pin....nothing worse than mounting someones lens to your camera body and then realizing you can"t get the lens off!!
07-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Be sure to familiarize yourself with the "famous" Ricoh pin....nothing worse than mounting someones lens to your camera body and then realizing you can"t get the lens off!!
Some of these will have 'KR' stamped onto the lens somewhere. Some won't. I have two KR lenses, both with 'soft' pins that don't get stuck on my K20D. But concerned buyers should scan the discussions here for simple instructions on dealing with that infamous Ricoh pin. Removal is pretty trivial.