Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 06:17 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Adapter Question ?

I have a Pentax lens that currently has a Nikon adapter mounted to it . Iwould like to use it with my Peantax camera. The adapter is screwed onto a 48mm male piece which is mounted to the lens. I measured the adapter's female inside treads and the lens' outside treads and I sure they are 48mm. I searched the internet for a adapter 48 female to 42 male tread. I not having much luck.
Thanks for any help,
Mike

07-20-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming it's a screwmount lens, you'll want this:

Pentax Lens Review Database - Pentax Mount Adapter K (M Screwmount to Bayonet) Lens Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-20-2010, 07:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry, it's a screwmount,however, my m42 mount is to small to fix the treads. When the current Nikon adapter is removed 48 mm female treads are exposed.
Thanks for the reply
Mike
07-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sounds like some form of T mount lens.

You may need a t mount adaptor and a 48mm to T mount ring

07-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What is the brand and model of the lens? There are several users on this forum that have deep knowledge of this sort of thing. A photo might be helpful as well. As Lowell suggested, it sounds like your lens is designed to be used with adapters for different mounts. From what you describe, it is not T-mount. Those have a 42mm x 0.75mm thread. (not the same as M42 = 42mm x 1mm thread)

Steve
07-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
The lens is a Asahi Pentax 500 4.5 with a Nikon mount attached. When I remove part of the adapter the 48mm male threads are exposed. ( not female threads as stated earlier)There is also another piece with three lugs behind a screw on ring, that can be remove which is behind the focus ring. I have Goggled and called several camera shops looking for the correct adapters rings, but no luck ,so far.
Thanks for the relies,
Mike
07-21-2010, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by COULDBE2 Quote
The lens is a Asahi Pentax 500 4.5 with a Nikon mount attached. When I remove part of the adapter the 48mm male threads are exposed. ( not female threads as stated earlier)There is also another piece with three lugs behind a screw on ring, that can be remove which is behind the focus ring. I have Goggled and called several camera shops looking for the correct adapters rings, but no luck ,so far.
Thanks for the relies,
Mike
It sounds like you got one of those 500mm lenses that was converted for a news service organization. That lenses has a removable rear piece that goes between it and the body. In later versions of the lens, Pentax replaced it with a K-mount tail. This has been encountered here before. Deadwolfbones had either a 500 or 1000mm lens and if memory serves me correctly, he may have sold it to Monochrome.

Edit: It was the 1000mm lens which is set up similar to the 500.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/71319-s-m-c-takumar-1000mm-f-8-a.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/77175-sale-%5Bsold%5D-super-mu...0mm-f-8-a.html

07-21-2010, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It sounds like you got one of those 500mm lenses that was converted for a news service organization. That lenses has a removable rear piece that goes between it and the body. In later versions of the lens, Pentax replaced it with a K-mount tail. This has been encountered here before. Deadwolfbones had either a 500 or 1000mm lens and if memory serves me correctly, he may have sold it to Monochrome.

Edit: It was the 1000mm lens which is set up similar to the 500.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/71319-s-m-c-takumar-1000mm-f-8-a.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/77175-sale-%5Bsold%5D-super-mu...0mm-f-8-a.html
Blue!! You have an excellent memory! I vaguely remember the thread, but was not aware of the full story and its happy ending.

BTW...your link is 404...here is a corrected copy:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/71319-s-m-c-ta...0mm-f-8-a.html

Steve
07-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the info and link. It was very helpful.
Mike
07-22-2010, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What is the brand and model of the lens? There are several users on this forum that have deep knowledge of this sort of thing. A photo might be helpful as well. As Lowell suggested, it sounds like your lens is designed to be used with adapters for different mounts. From what you describe, it is not T-mount. Those have a 42mm x 0.75mm thread. (not the same as M42 = 42mm x 1mm thread)

Steve
steve, what I meant is that if you look at a t-mount to pentax screw mount, the interface is actually a groved ring, with threads on one side that thread into the ring.

I have a miranda T mount lens, and 2 different lenses with M42 t-mound adaptors.

If the OP gets a t-mount to M42 adaptor he should be able to make a ring, to attach the adaptor to the tmount to M42 adaptor.