Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tokina AT-X PRO f/2.8 80-200mm

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Price seems too high already and with 3 hours to go I'll bet it will get close to $1k what do you guys think of This Lens is this reasonable or is the Pentax crowd just getting restless with the lack of comparable lens ?

08-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Price seems too high already and with 3 hours to go I'll bet it will get close to $1k what do you guys think of This Lens is this reasonable or is the Pentax crowd just getting restless with the lack of comparable lens ?
Personally, I am restless, though the DA 50-135 has calmed me down for the moment.:ugh: As I recall this was regarded as a decent lens, not as good as the FA* but a cheaper alternative. Here is a link to some reviews on http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=237&sort=7&cat=40&page=1
Given that this lens sold new for less than half of a new FA* and that used FA* are now going for 1900.00+/-, I guess something around 1,000+/- seems within the current market parameters. CRAZY, CRAZY, CRAZY.......
08-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well..pentaxians are starving for fast 70-200 teles.

FA* 80-200 was scarce and more so now that they were discontinued.
Pentax decides to release a much shorter DA*50-135/2.8.
Sigma cuts off Pentax stock to many retailers because of low market share.
Sigma discontinues EX 70-200mm f2.8 DG
Sigma releases Macro Variant of EX 70-200mm f2.8 for Sigma, Canon and Nikon. Pentax is left out.
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro is announced March 8th 07...Pentax is on the list of compatible mounts..
Perhaps our last choice?

(sry I couldn't help the ".." and the broken sentences. Listening to the 28 Weeks Later soundtrack haha)
08-18-2007, 04:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Tokina 80-200 f2.8 Lens

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote

I want you to know that when I shot the Dayton Hudson Christmas Book in New York several years ago using models like Andy McDowell, Elle McPherson, Carole Alt etc. I used the Tokina 80-200 f2.8 lens and could have used anything at the time. I preferred it over the Nikon 80-200 2.8, which was three times the price. It is one of the finest zoom lenses of that epoch and am sure can still hold up to the competition. If you can, get it!

Ben

08-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I let that one go and there is another one sitting at the same $800.00 with 2.5 hours left. The first one went for $876 and change.

I guess if I had an immediate need based on all of your help it would have been a worthwhile investment. However I have time and will wait to see if the DA* 60-250 or the “sorta announced” Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD [IF] MACRO comes out in the next few months. I figure for perhaps 50% more I could have one of these.... but who knows what availability and price will be.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
Personally, I am restless, though the DA 50-135 has calmed me down for the moment.:ugh: As I recall this was regarded as a decent lens, not as good as the FA* but a cheaper alternative. Here is a link to some reviews on FM Reviews - AT-X 828 AF PRO 80-200mm f/2.8
Given that this lens sold new for less than half of a new FA* and that used FA* are now going for 1900.00+/-, I guess something around 1,000+/- seems within the current market parameters. CRAZY, CRAZY, CRAZY.......
Thanks Erl - I hear ya in 2005 I see that lens went for < $500.00 the heck with the stock Market we all should have invested in fast Pentax Glass 2 years ago!

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Well..pentaxians are starving for fast 70-200 teles.
FA* 80-200 was scarce and more so now that they were discontinued.
Pentax decides to release a much shorter DA*50-135/2.8.
Sigma cuts off Pentax stock to many retailers because of low market share.
Sigma discontinues EX 70-200mm f2.8 DG
Sigma releases Macro Variant of EX 70-200mm f2.8 for Sigma, Canon and Nikon. Pentax is left out.
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro is announced March 8th 07...Pentax is on the list of compatible mounts..
Perhaps our last choice?
(sry I couldn't help the ".." and the broken sentences. Listening to the 28 Weeks Later soundtrack haha)
Thanks Pete - yep mutlitasking eh hahah ? I sent an Email to Tamron see if I can get an ETA and price .... I am very pleased with both Tamrons I already own.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I want you to know that when I shot the Dayton Hudson Christmas Book in New York several years ago using models like Andy McDowell, Elle McPherson, Carole Alt etc. I used the Tokina 80-200 f2.8 lens and could have used anything at the time. I preferred it over the Nikon 80-200 2.8, which was three times the price. It is one of the finest zoom lenses of that epoch and am sure can still hold up to the competition. If you can, get it!

Ben
Thanks Ben - that is consistent with another review I read where they mentioned professionals gave it high praise and rank amatuers (such as myslef) were mixed - operator error I am sure
08-19-2007, 01:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

Last week Sigma UK told me

QuoteQuote:
Our parent company are planning to release the 70-200mm EX DG Macro lens in the Pentax fit. They haven't specified when we are likely to receive these so it may still be a while but we have been assured they are going to be made. We do not know, however, if it will include an HSM motor.