Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It's full-frame ?????.
Judge for yourself. Not a super-interesting shot, but good for showing that DA55-300 vignetting is pretty minimal at F8.

Last edited by GeneV; 07-23-2010 at 12:33 AM.
07-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Wonder if I can afford that... ;((, might be worth it to get the MZ-S then ;D

I don't really get what this 20 ASA because I've never seen ASA that low before. And I don't really get what CMS film is either.

Since you brought it up... I'm sorta interested in this ;P.

Thanks for the cool info!
Trying the Adox CMS 20 ASA film is on my “to do” list. The original Kodachrome film used to be 6 to 18 ASA, the Adox 20 is current the slowest film that I know of.

CMS film is just a different emulsion process from other films, that make a finer grain.

"Cubic Crystal Monodispesed Single Layer means round silver grains coated one layer a single grain thick. Since this is the smallest grains of silver that technology can produce, the film has the highest resolution, the finest grain and is the sharpest film in the world. It belongs however to the toughest and slowest emulsion in the stable. The Anti-Halation layer between the emulsion and the film base guarantees sharpness, the ADOTECH CMS developer yields true to life halftones enabling you to make pictures that no-one will believe were taken on a 35mm camera!"

Yep it should be fun to try out. Freestyle carries the film for $5.99 a roll of 36.

Adox CMS 20 High Resolution 35mm x 36 exposure | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Phil.
07-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Trying the Adox CMS 20 ASA film is on my “to do” list. The original Kodachrome film used to be 6 to 18 ASA, the Adox 20 is current the slowest film that I know of.

CMS film is just a different emulsion process from other films, that make a finer grain.

"Cubic Crystal Monodispesed Single Layer means round silver grains coated one layer a single grain thick. Since this is the smallest grains of silver that technology can produce, the film has the highest resolution, the finest grain and is the sharpest film in the world. It belongs however to the toughest and slowest emulsion in the stable. The Anti-Halation layer between the emulsion and the film base guarantees sharpness, the ADOTECH CMS developer yields true to life halftones enabling you to make pictures that no-one will believe were taken on a 35mm camera!"

Yep it should be fun to try out. Freestyle carries the film for $5.99 a roll of 36.

Adox CMS 20 High Resolution 35mm x 36 exposure | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Phil.
That's awesome!! I would want to try it... and doesn't seem too expensive... BUT... I'm wondering where to develop it.
07-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
That's awesome!! I would want to try it... and doesn't seem too expensive... BUT... I'm wondering where to develop it.
Yes I have to double check with my local film labs in Vancouver, to see if there are any issues processing it. I think it should be ok!

Phil.

07-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Depends what range you want, but if you want genuine Pentax, three that spring to mind are:
1. 35-105 A series....brilliant lens..plenty said about it on the forum lately.
2. 28-135 A series....another brilliant lens....a bit bigger, & a bit heavier, & a bit bigger range.
3. 70-210 A series....a very good tele lens.....NOT to be confused with the Takumar A of the same range, which is inferior.
Cheers, Pickles.
07-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Depends what range you want, but if you want genuine Pentax, three that spring to mind are:
2. 28-135 A series....another brilliant lens....a bit bigger, & a bit heavier, & a bit bigger range.
3. 70-210 A series....a very good tele lens.....NOT to be confused with the Takumar A of the same range, which is inferior.
Cheers, Pickles.
Going to have to do some lens hunting soon! Thanks Pickles.
07-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Cheers, Pickles.
+1 on the A 35-105. A lot of bang for the buck. Right now they are priced up to $140 or less on ebay. One of the nicest film Zooms I've ever owned (haven't owned a lot of them).

I also agree on the Takumar A zoom lenses. I had the 35-80 (was my first Pentaxish MF zoom). I called it my glam lens because I couldn't get a sharp photo out of it to save my life. It did a nice job of softening wrinkles on faces in portraits though. It's long gone and I don't miss it a bit.

Last edited by JeffJS; 07-23-2010 at 12:53 PM.
07-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
+1 on the A 35-105. A lot of bang for the buck. Right now they are priced up to $140 or less on ebay. One of the nicest film Zooms I've ever owned (haven't owned a lot of them).

I also agree on the Takumar A zoom lenses. I had the 35-70 (was my first Pentaxish MF zoom). I called it my glam lens because I couldn't get a sharp photo out of it to save my life. It did a nice job of softening wrinkles on faces in portraits though. It's long gone and I don't miss it a bit.

Darn those are expensive LOL might just stick with my primes for a bit now. I don't shoot film a whole lot, so it isn't really worth it for me to invest that kind of money on it first.