Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #1

new lens has so much dust???

hi guys, a new tamron 17 50 f/2.8 bought from abes of maine, i just received it today as my update to 18--55.

I noticed the dust, I guess a new copy should NOT be like this, right? So shall i exchange for a new copy? I have no idea how good tamron's QC is, but my current copy is perfect regarding focusing and sharpness, except the annoy dust...

thanks for any input!

Last edited by shang; 07-22-2010 at 11:11 AM.
07-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this the same lens you asked about in the other forum where you said it would Not focus properly?

I would expect a new lens to possibly have a spec or two of dust but not like that (internal?).

07-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another thread had the same question but about the DA 12-24 that had those same exact specs. On the 12-24 it was not dust, those specs were on multiple peoples copies. So i'm pretty sure it's not dust. Maybe someone can veryify on their 17-50.
07-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks Jeff and Blaze! I decided to exchange for a new one... I guess it is dust, I am not sure though since all the dust is on the "ring", nothing else where. I did check a new 17--50 for Canon which doesn't have dust like this.

07-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't think it is dust. I've seen something similar on some Sigmas. I think it's a metal flake-like component in the lens construction. It's possible that they do this on purpose to hide any actual dust that may be present, thus avoiding many possible returns/exchanges. Pretty clever (or fiendish!) if that's true.
07-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I don't think it is dust. I've seen something similar on some Sigmas. I think it's a metal flake-like component in the lens construction. It's possible that they do this on purpose to hide any actual dust that may be present, thus avoiding many possible returns/exchanges. Pretty clever (or fiendish!) if that's true.
Well some of my pentax lenses (16-45) has a very similar look to it, its not dust. All I can say is its definitely the material used.