Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #1

Super: Super-Takumar 4 300--Advice

Hi:
I have the opportunity to purchase a super tak 300mm f4. As I am new to mf lens on my 5d2, I would appreciate some advice, comments or key points I should be aware of in evaluating the lens.
Thanks
David

07-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
be aware that if you don't have a split image precise focusing is difficult.

I am not sure of the M42 to canon adaptor you have and whether it has contacts to provide focus confirmation or not. If it does not, manual focusing could be interesting.

The lens will exhibit a reasonable amunt of lateral CA, in our of focus areas, with green shading on one side and purple on the other,.

this is easily removed in PP if the software allows for selection of CA tones and radius.
07-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
Lowell; I have no idea what all of that means. Could you simplify?
Thanks
David
07-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The simplest way is to buy it and see for yourself

07-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davidhm Quote
Lowell; I have no idea what all of that means. Could you simplify?
Thanks
David
David

My reply is based on the assumption that you have a canon camera

In this case there are different types of adaptors those that are simply mechanical interfaces and those with contacts to interface with the camera body and trick it into thinking a canon lens is attached, to the limit that the camera's af confirmation works and indicate focus has been achieved

You can also install an optical focusing aid called a split image where the image is split in half and the hal es align when focus is achieved. These are a great help for mfnlenses

As for CA this is chromatic aborition and is a misalignment of colors in the out of focus areas

Lateral CA has out of focus with purple on one side of the object and green on the other

Longitudinal CA is where out of focus subjects have a green halo when behind the focus point and a purple halo in front of the point of focus
07-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hi:
I have the opportunity to purchase a super tak 300mm f4. As I am new to mf lens on my 5d2, I would appreciate some advice, comments or key points I should be aware of in evaluating the lens.
Thanks
David

How about a quick look at the review section here?
07-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
Lowell;
Thanks very much for explaining. Your patience is appreciated. I have learned something. Would you tell me where and how one can get an "split image" optical focusing aid?
Again, thanks and I love your city!!
David
07-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Hey, David.

Play with the lens first before you think you definitely need the screen. The 300s are monsters to work with, and I hope you understand that you have to use a tripod. There's no other option.

You're not far from me, and this is the lens to use at Lake Okechobee for birding, gators, other wildlife. But 300 is really pushing it for walking around stuff.

On our Pentaxes, we have in-body Shake Reduction, which will still work with the old manual lenses, as well as metering (albeit manual and Av) plus focus confirmation. Not many of us here know what will happen with your Canon and adapter, not to mention infinity focusing issues with other-than-Pentax bodies and adapters.

That be saying said, the 300 4 is still going for reasonable prices, because not only do most modern DSLR shooters use modern, fully auto zooms that get them to 300, but most of us who collect the old glass don't really care about getting to 300. That's the equivalent of 450 on a full frame SLR, and it's rarely needed.

07-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #9

Original Poster
Ira;
I do understand about the tripod and the size of the beast. But I have a Canon tele that produces blah photos, so I'm hoping the Tak will produce a better, contrasty image, so, that I can avoid an L lens, at least for the moment. Do you know what adaptor I will need for a 5d2 and what is the "screen".
Thanks for you time and words
David
07-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #10

Original Poster
Ira;
Perhaps we can meet at the lake. I look at your images and they are impressive.
David
07-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Ira;
I Do you know what adaptor I will need for a 5d2 and what is the "screen".
David
Go to eBay and look for M42 to Canon adapters, but make sure it's the correct Canon. Don't know anything about the brand.

Your Tak should be an M42 screw mount. (If you look at my signature, all of my lenses are old classic m42.) When Pentax went to bayonet ages ago (they call theirs K or PK), they never changed it to this day. So even if you have the first bayonet lens that Pentax ever made, in the 70s (I think), it will still work on a modern Pentax DSLR, although manually. And the older M42s work with a simple adapter that screws into the body. That's the beauty of Pentax. (I'm currently bidding on a lens from 1958!)

As for screens, you have to post on the Canon site to see if yours is replaceable. If so, post back, and I'll find the link you need. They make dozens of different types for different purposes.

I'm a masochist and never changed mine.
07-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The split-image on the focus screen gets in the way sometimes; can be annoying during composition. For manual focus of an F4 lens, a split or faster precision-matte focus screen is not necessary; actually, the precision-matte Canon Eg-S focus screen is for manually focusing lenses faster than F2.8 -- the Eg-S darkens considerably as aperture is closed beyond F3.5 or so.
07-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #13

Original Poster
Ira; Canon sells the split screen ,Ec B. I shall try the lens first without and decide later whether the screen is necessary.
David