Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Cleaning fungus out of a lens.

So today I decided I wanted to try to tackle cleaning the fungus out of a 50mm prime, I took it apart enough to be able to remove the front element group, But realized I'm going to need an adjustable spanner to remove the retaining ring on there before I can get inside so I put it back together again.

Does anyone have any experience in cleaning a lens like this that could provide advice on how to clean the fungus properly, and the best way of getting inside those two elements?

Here's some pictures of what i'm dealing with.

Taken apart

What I need to open up.

Nastiness.

07-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #2

IMHO you can find the Pentax A 50mm f2 any where for about $20-30 so it's not worth spending time and effort cleaning it. Beside fungus is very difficult to get rid of. If you decide to clean it as a learning project, I would be interested to know how.

Regards,

Peter
07-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doanh Quote
IMHO you can find the Pentax A 50mm f2 any where for about $20-30 so it's not worth spending time and effort cleaning it. Beside fungus is very difficult to get rid of. If you decide to clean it as a learning project, I would be interested to know how.

Regards,

Peter
I have several of these lenses, so I don't mind cracking one open to try and make a tutorial on how to clean these things up. I'm about to order my spanner and hopefully I'll have a full write up with pictures.
07-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hell, I managed to get the locking ring of the outer element open, and saw some strange pattern of fungus on the inside, it looked like the veins of a person's eye, but it cleaned nicely with vodka and windex (best stuff I had on hand) and I also managed to get the rest of the element groups out of the "tube?" but i'm gonna have to get that spanner soon so I can open up the groups to clean the insides.

Here's some pictures

Front locking ring removed
Front element, liberated
lens with front element removed

here is lens with front element removed and the center group in my hands, Look at that nastiness.

-----------------------------

NOW we go through the backdoor

that's the rear group removed,

Last edited by John nich; 07-21-2010 at 08:35 PM.
07-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I have found that MEK works really good for cleaning fungus. Be careful not to get it on anything plastic. It is available at most places that sell paint.

I have found that this tool works really well for removing most lens rings but it is not cheap:

It is available here:
Adjustable repair Camera Lens Opening Tool Steel wrench - eBay (item 250669012307 end time Aug-18-10 02:19:59 PDT)
07-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxman Quote
I have found that MEK works really good for cleaning fungus. Be careful not to get it on anything plastic. It is available at most places that sell paint.

I have found that this tool works really well for removing most lens rings but it is not cheap:

It is available here:
Adjustable repair Camera Lens Opening Tool Steel wrench - eBay (item 250669012307 end time Aug-18-10 02:19:59 PDT)
That's for the advice man, that MEK looks like some serious stuff, Do you know what i should clean the non glass parts with?
07-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

MEK is some nasty shite, be very aware that the fumes are toxic, it will melt a lot of plastics - some quite slowly so you won't notice when it's initially applied, and it's horrible on your skin.
But it will clean nearly anything off most things !
07-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice photos, thank you for the pics.

07-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Very nice photos. Thanks for the tool link.
07-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Just did this to a couple lenses and ended up throwing them out anyway (one I scratched an element, the other still took lousy pictures afterwards so I couldn't justify ebaying it. But they were tamrons, so no loss ), but one thing I learned - put some masking tape over the blades on the spanner and the lens won't look like someone's been monkeying with it (looks like you may have figured this out by the time you got to the back of the lens).