Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
what the OP should we worried about as well is dropping either the camera or lens or both. I dropped mine recently. fortunately I was using the K-7.
The biggest reason I keep a neck strap on my bodies where there could be a lens change. With a strap and a bag, there is no need to handle more than one item at a time. As Wheatfield points out, this is dangerous territory.

07-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Put lens down on convenient level surface.
Where can I buy this, convenient level surface? I've been looking all over and can't seem to find one. It sure would be nice to have one in some of the places I shoot in, so I hope is isn't something Pentax discontinued. Is there an older A version? I don't mind having to manually level it if it will save me a few bucks.

Thank you
Russell
07-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Where can I buy this, convenient level surface? I've been looking all over and can't seem to find one. It sure would be nice to have one in some of the places I shoot in, so I hope is isn't something Pentax discontinued. Is there an older A version? I don't mind having to manually level it if it will save me a few bucks.

Thank you
Russell
it's available in the marketplace. I believe it goes by the name TRIPOD.
07-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Hey mikeSF, I tried your method and really impressed myself that I could do it! Not nearly as fast or nimble as you yet, but I'm just surprised I can do it at all. Pretty neat. Thanks for making that video, I would never have "gotten it" from a description.

07-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Hey mikeSF, I tried your method and really impressed myself that I could do it! Not nearly as fast or nimble as you yet, but I'm just surprised I can do it at all. Pretty neat. Thanks for making that video, I would never have "gotten it" from a description.
great!! It has become second nature to me, even when i do have access to a table, I always do it this way anyhow.

A couple of cautions, 1) best to wear the camera on a strap in case you drop it, 2) remove a bulky lens hood first which could make your grip less steady, 3) keep lens caps on while changing lenses this way.

I actually tried to describe this some months back in a thread here and it made no sense even to me...decided the video is worth a hundred words or so.
07-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Mike, that is like the "Cocktail" of lens changing.

Don't think I'm coordinated enough, but I like it!
"bermuda, bahama, come on pretty mama..."
07-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Where can I buy this, convenient level surface?
Buy real estate
If I'm standing on something dry, it's below my feet.
Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is, unless you are standing hip deep in water, put the damned lens on the ground while changing it out. It's not like as if it's going to get hurt by anything.
07-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Mike, that is a nice method you have going there! Mine usually involves a quick 'can you hold this' followed by rolled eyes and an outstretched 3rd hand (from my lovely wife!) I will have to give your technique a go, I think she'll be happy. I might still need her going from the M 40mm to the 50-135 though.

07-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+rep and thanks for the video Mike. I'll be trying this method.