Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Changing Lenses in the Field

Just wondering - how do you guys do it? Do you bother with putting on the back cap of the lens you just took off and put it inside the lens case which you then put inside your bag? That's what I did today, on my first outting with multiple lenses, and it felt rather clumsy. Or do you guys not bother with any of that and just put the lens in its alotted slot in your camera bag? This is assuming that there's no flying sand/water/etc.

07-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have the same porblem and I suspect most people do. Some people are apparently very good at juggling lenses though.

The thread below has a lot of ideas, and others will chime in with more advice. Practice has been the best remedy for me.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/105088-how-do-y...cal-usage.html
07-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #3

Hi, I am recently back from Safari... so had to think on improving my lens changing techniques to avoid dust issues prior to leaving.

I typically have each of my lenses in a set place in the bag as not to waste time looking around,
1) I remove the body side cap from the lens and then position it next to the lens mounted on the camera, also correct orientation (i.e. red dot in right place)...
2) I then twist off the mounted lens and then as quickly as possible twist on the new.
3) Put end cap & body cap on dismounted lens, depending on lens I store it with hood mounted... or back mounted.
4) remove end cap from mounted lens and fix lenshood if required.

whole process is pretty quick (<20s), intention is to minimize the time with no lens attached... is also always important to only change is suitable environments... or the best you can find.

hope this helps.
07-22-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
solutions:
1.> bring 2 bodies with different lenses on them.
2.> dont bring lenses that aren't necessary for your intended shooting.
3.> limit your lenses from 2-3 lenses.
4.> lens combo can vary from 2 zooms and 1 prime, 2 primes to 1 zoom, or 3 primes. depends on the use.
5.> never leave your lens without a cap on. better safe than sorry. so might as well endure the clumsiness or start practicing to become faster.

07-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

I shoot often outdoor in dusty, dirty, wet and muddy conditions for several days (and nights). In these conditions, changing lenses is out of question: simply too much risks. I use an all-around lens (DA18-250mm). That is, one body and one lesns, and no lens swapping.
07-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

For my recent trip to yellowstone, I took a camera vest. I can place 3-4 primes there (My Pentax primes are all relatively small anyways. This made it very easy, to chnage lenses and even manage the cokin-P filter system.

I pull the lens out to be changed form the pocket, remove the lens cap and put it back in the pocket. Remove the end cap and hold it in my lips, orient the red dot of the new lens, and point the camera down and away from wind, quickly twist the lens oput and slide the new lens in with one swift motion and twist it in, grab the end cap from my lip and place it on the old lens and put that in it's pocket. Was very easy.....I also have a sensor cleaning kit and have no qualms about doing that.

On daily shooting when I don't want to wear a photo vest, I try to limit my shooting to two lenses (21 and 43, and one can be in the trouser pocket) or just one other lens.
07-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
For my recent trip to yellowstone, I took a camera vest. I can place 3-4 primes there (My Pentax primes are all relatively small anyways. This made it very easy, to chnage lenses and even manage the cokin-P filter system.

I pull the lens out to be changed form the pocket, remove the lens cap and put it back in the pocket. Remove the end cap and hold it in my lips, orient the red dot of the new lens, and point the camera down and away from wind, quickly twist the lens oput and slide the new lens in with one swift motion and twist it in, grab the end cap from my lip and place it on the old lens and put that in it's pocket. Was very easy.....I also have a sensor cleaning kit and have no qualms about doing that.

On daily shooting when I don't want to wear a photo vest, I try to limit my shooting to two lenses (21 and 43, and one can be in the trouser pocket) or just one other lens.
The vest or pocket carry is definitely made easier with the compact DAltd lenses. After 30 years or so of swapping, I'm pretty good at taking off and putting on the end caps with one hand. I do like to have a bag with a place to rest the lenses during the process.

The new element I've not mastered is keeping the inside of the camera clean. This was not such a big issue with film, but it is a bigger issue with digital. I think I need to pay more attention to where I am doing the change.

07-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Generally I go out with 2 bodies, and the two most anticipated lenses I will use, so I swap bodies not lenses.

The reason I have multiple bodies is that when I upgrade I retain the old camera since trade in / resale values generally suck.

In the past, it was K10D and *istD and today it is K7D and K10D, but anyway, 2 bodies helos a lot.

When I decide to change lenses, I usually find a place where I can either sit, or at least set my bag down.

I avoid as much as possible dusty locations, and will go back to a car or off a beach, at least to a beach blanket, if I need to change lenses on a beach.

I then take the rear cap off the lens, and blow any dust away with a blower. I never use a blower brush because there is too much risk of either scratching the rear element coaring, or getting skin oil on the rear element from the brush.

I then take the lens off the camera, and put the new lens on as quickly as practical.

The lens that is removed is then checked for dust, and cleaned appropriately before putting on the caps.

K mounts are simple to change in the field, but I use the same process with M42 screw mounts and you can change a lens in less than a minute without appearing hurried or panicked.
07-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Push button on camera and remove lens.
Put lens down on convenient level surface.
Take new lens and uncap it.
Put new lens on camera.
Pick up old lens, cap it and put in pocket.

Go back to shooting.
Nothing complicated about changing lenses.
07-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

1) Uncap new lens and place safely body mount side up.

2) Remove old lens and place safely body mount side up.

3) Mount new lens.

4) Cap old lens.

Like Wheatfield, I don't understand why some people get so nervous about this. Granted, if you're trying to quickly change a lens to get a shot that's going to go away, you have a problem, and that's why God invented zooms.

Well, God invented the guys who invented zooms.

And I also understand that people can be a little overly cautious with their equipment.

To me, changing lenses has always been a leisurely, calm experience.
07-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm nervous about changing lenses outdoors. So far, I just change lenses indoors and go out with that lens. I have to practice, so I can feel more confident in changing lenses. Then I could go out with two lenses or so, which I'd like to do....

I'm just afraid I'll drop a lens....
07-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote

I'm just afraid I'll drop a lens....
Sit on the ground then indian style, so it can't drop too far.
07-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Sit on the ground then indian style, so it can't drop too far.
Yes, but then I have the problem of getting up off the ground. I haven't been a spring chicken in quite some time.
07-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Just wondering - how do you guys do it? Do you bother with putting on the back cap of the lens you just took off and put it inside the lens case which you then put inside your bag? That's what I did today, on my first outting with multiple lenses, and it felt rather clumsy. Or do you guys not bother with any of that and just put the lens in its alotted slot in your camera bag? This is assuming that there's no flying sand/water/etc.

You'll get used to it. It just seems foreign to you now but it'll be old hat in no time. You absolutely, at all times want to keep the rear lens caps on the lenses that are not mounted, though. You want to keep the front caps on when they're in your bag, too. To many opportunities to get scratched. This is an obvious point, I know, but the better care you take of your equipment, the more it's worth if you ever want to sell it.
07-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s like driving a standard car, the first time you come to a stop on a hill you freak-out and think you’re going to roll back into the car behind you. After awhile you just don’t even think about it any longer, it’s just a habit.

Same with changing lenses come up with a style that suits you and stick to it. One safety tip I also practice is I always change lenses squatting down over my open camera bag. So if anything drops like a cap, or even worse a lens, it’s only a couple inch fall into an open padded camera bag.

Phil.