Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
I'm nervous about changing lenses outdoors. So far, I just change lenses indoors and go out with that lens. I have to practice, so I can feel more confident in changing lenses. Then I could go out with two lenses or so, which I'd like to do....

I'm just afraid I'll drop a lens....
Just take your time and don't try to do it as fast as possible.

I use my bag to help make it easier. Uncap the one I want to use, take off the lens I have on and put it in the bag, and cap the back, put the new lens on. Takes about 10 seconds tops when you get used to doing it.

07-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm nervous about changing lenses outdoors. So far, I just change lenses indoors and go out with that lens. I have to practice, so I can feel more confident in changing lenses. Then I could go out with two lenses or so, which I'd like to do....

I'm just afraid I'll drop a lens....
I NEVER handle two lenses and a body at the same time, and there is always some place handy to put a lens onto, be it a rock, a tree stump or whatever.
There is probably less dust floating around outside than there is in your house.
07-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While reading any thread, you can scroll down to the bottom of the screen to see a list of "Similar Threads". Sometimes the thread suggestions offered aren't all that simialr, but in this case, they are. So there's a way to get a whole bunch more responses to basically the same question.
07-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #19
Pentaxian

No one mentioned turning off the camera first. I found this really cut down dust problems.

07-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
No one mentioned turning off the camera first. I found this really cut down dust problems.

I'll second that.
07-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I forget to turn the camera off sometimes - that's the thing I need to work on.

Otherwise, it's pretty smooth. I do it all standing up with the camera strap around my neck. Ready the new lens by removing the cap. Twist off the old one and hold it in my left hand with new lens and rear cap in my right. Put the new lens on with my right hand and put the rear cap on the old lens.
I used to be a little rushed about it before I got a sensor cleaning kit but now I'm much calmer knowing I can fix it if I end up with dust.

With the Vivitar P-KA/R-PK TC it gets a little more complicated because there is now basically a third lens. Regardless, I prioritize having the camera open to the air as short a time as possible. With the TC I also end up with two caps from it but they fit together nicely to go back in the bag or pocket.
07-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

nobody mentioned yet to point the camera opening down when changing lenses so nothing falls inside (and loose dust falls out!)

outdoors, get out of the wind first.

07-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

what the OP should we worried about as well is dropping either the camera or lens or both. I dropped mine recently. fortunately I was using the K-7.
07-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I change lenses all the time outdoors. My method is the same as what's been described, pretty much, making sure the new lens is ready to put on the camera before removing the old lens, and using one hand on one lens, the other on the new lens and the camera around my neck (or on a tripod). The one thing that I didn't see mentioned is to notice which way the wind is blowing, then put your back to it, shielding the camera with your body.

I second never putting a lens away in the bag without both caps firmly in place - I have a superficial scratch on the front element of my DA*50-135 because I forgot the front cap once. It doesn't affect pictures but does affect the worth of it. As far as what I do with the rear cap while I'm changing lenses - it either goes in the camera bag or my pocket, whichever is more convenient at the time.
07-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #25
hcc
Pentaxian

I'm nervous about changing lenses outdoors.
There is nothing wrong in being cautious!

I'm also nervous about changing lenses outdoors, but mostly because of the risks of dust/dirt/water/salt contaminating the lens and body during the swap when the conditions are not ideal.

Last edited by hcc; 07-22-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typos
07-23-2010, 10:28 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

I mostly use primes and find myself changing lenses many times during an outing. Unfortunately, on an outdoor hike, there is not always an ideal place to do this, so I find myself squatting down to do the swap in my lap or I may use my sling bag to create an artificial table at my chest.
Regardless, I saw somebody do this before and have adopted the technique of using one hand to hold the camera and lens release button and the other hand to hold BOTH lenses. The key is to quickly remove the end cap and line up the orange dot on the lens so that when the lens mount is pointing away from you, the dot is at 9 o'clock.
It is hard to explain so I made this little video to show a few lenses being swapped on my K20D.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0YUJgwwsAA[/YT]

Whenever possible, i aim the camera downward to minimize dust intrusion. Also, I didn't show this in the vid, but I will typically palm the endcap with my right hand before grabbing the camera, then once the change is complete, let the camera hang freely from my neck and twist the cap on the lens going into the bag.

While I rarely have any accidents, I would go very slow using this technique with an expensive lens. Note that in my video I demonstrated using lenses I do not actually ever use, just in case.

However, the next time you are standing in line at Disneyland and must change lenses or on the beach with dust and sand flying everywhere or in a light rain, this quick change method can come in very handy.
07-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very cool technique, Mike! Thanks for making the video. It looks so easy. I'll have to practice this.
07-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I can't imagine using both a camera bag and lens case both. In the old days, lenses came with cases, but I wasn't aware of that happening today with most lenses (although my sigma did come with a soft case.)

I change lenses outside all the time, sometimes more than once per picture - just can't decide. That's true even with two bodies; since the bodies aren't the same, sometimes I wind up with the wrong lens on the wrong body, which is actually worse than having only one body to start with.

It is helpful to have a vest, or at least a bag that allows easily dropping your lenses in with one hand.

When I'm traveling, I find it's very important to check for dust. My one body has a built-in mechanism to check for dust, but with the other I find I have to examine the pictures on my PC. I do that every day.

Paul
07-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
For my recent trip to yellowstone, I took a camera vest. I can place 3-4 primes there (My Pentax primes are all relatively small anyways. This made it very easy, to chnage lenses and even manage the cokin-P filter system.

I do the same thing. After researching all the photo vests, I finally went with the Safari vest from Cabelas. It holds my DA* 60-250 and a 300mm lens in the large pockets just fine. Outside of that, I can carry a small cleaning kit, memory cards, my 12-24, and my FA 50mm, lens if I want to look bulky. They'll all fit and access is very simple compared to my backpack I use (not quite as simple as my Lowepro tho). While the vest looks a bit dorky in my opinion, the convenience is second to none!
07-24-2010, 06:24 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Mike, that is like the "Cocktail" of lens changing.

Don't think I'm coordinated enough, but I like it!