Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

DA* 16-50 Vs DA 16-45, A Shootout

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: DA* 16-50 Vs DA 16-45, A Shootout

08-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
sft

Photos: Gallery
You can say underexposed compared to DA16-45 - or you can also say better-exposed. I prefer the output from the DA* and the crops of the tree clearly show that the DA* is quite a bit sharper and does have slightly less CA/PF. In fact DA* at f/2.8 looks better than 16-45 at f/4 in the center and considering that 16-45 is already very sharp - that is impressive.
08-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Putting a face on it..

I downloaded the 2 images to do my usual exposure check and here are the numbers. Only approx due to many factors including watermarking:
Couple of thoughts. I didn't see the metering mode used but may have missed it since I only image picked.
The f2.8 is a tad darker but not by much if you go by the mean.
10 "points" is roughly 1/4 stop. The mean difference is 12 point... Big woop.
AT f4 the new lens is an order of magnitude sharper than the f4
For those that care 110 is what the mean should be but it is a bit unhealthy in digital due to highlight clipping. f4 is already approaching clipping.

08-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, what's the exact point and rationale to leave room at the "Right"?

And, why two different Pentax lenses on the same body would give different exposure? In terms of EV and actual result?

I don't think there would be a good answers to these straight questions unless we use "inaccuracy" and "inconsistency" to explain..

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I downloaded the 2 images to do my usual exposure check and here are the numbers. Only approx due to many factors including watermarking:
Couple of thoughts. I didn't see the metering mode used but may have missed it since I only image picked.
The f2.8 is a tad darker but not by much if you go by the mean.
10 "points" is roughly 1/4 stop. The mean difference is 12 point... Big woop.
AT f4 the new lens is an order of magnitude sharper than the f4
For those that care 110 is what the mean should be but it is a bit unhealthy in digital due to highlight clipping. f4 is already approaching clipping.

08-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I'm curious, and I don't know the answer to this question, I'm asking it because I want to know. Have you ever seen exactly the same metering from two totally different lenses?
08-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
So, what's the exact point and rationale to leave room at the "Right"?

And, why two different Pentax lenses on the same body would give different exposure? In terms of EV and actual result?

I don't think there would be a good answers to these straight questions unless we use "inaccuracy" and "inconsistency" to explain..
Yes and no. One question to start.
What metering mode were these shot in?
without this answer it is impossible to begin a discussion. As a side note I'm sure Pentax Matrix metering is more err.. primitive than say Nikon..

One must start at the beginning.
You can argue with me on how far off they are but I still hold at 1/4EV different. Again big woop. They look more extreme but the numbers show differently.
See what a MINOR contrast correction does...You could do about the same w/ a slight gamma shift.
One thing to notice is they are not "identical" compositions. There is a minor shift in framing.
BTW: technically there is no rationale to "expose to the right" without considering the individual image and what YOU want to do with it.

Adding the 2 images at f4....The 2.8 gets real sharp real fast..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-20-2007 at 05:32 PM.