Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Frankly, this is a situation where I'm as likely to prefer the 18-55 as any prime. But since I rarely carry that with me.
I rarely carry it except if I am walking about for some street shooting. It is so small and light, that it almost works like a prime. For daytime street shooting, I usually want to stay around F8 anyway to have some leeway on the focus, so I'm right in the kit lens' sweet spot.

07-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schneider Quote
My personal favorite is the DA15 as well. The wide angle makes pictures very interesting, although you must get close which requires some practice. This is also where the Leica system starts to become interesting........

I also use 43, 77 and 135 but they each have different applications obviously. My main tip would be to stick with one single lens (prime), whichever it is. Really for some time. The angle will become familiar and you'll see more and more opportunities. More lenses are confusing.

15:
schneider, that unicycle picture is stunning !

I'm on the lookout for something wide and classy, that picture has moved that lens way up the list.
07-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
... People don't get nervous with such a tiny camera, and I can frame better shots.
It is an amazing phenomenon too. Why in the heck does the physical size of the camera put people at ease or not. I've noticed that people are pretty comfortable when you have a older camera like a TLR too. It must be how far the lens sticks out from the body, lol.
07-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Depending on the need and the situation.

FA31 and FA43 are my favourites though

07-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It is an amazing phenomenon too. Why in the heck does the physical size of the camera put people at ease or not. I've noticed that people are pretty comfortable when you have a older camera like a TLR too. It must be how far the lens sticks out from the body, lol.
I've wanted a TLR for just that reason. (My Y-mat departed many years ago) I think it is the waist level VF as well. I've found that if you take a shot on any camera from waist level or using live view, people are less intimidated. I've thought about a WL finder for my LX to see if that helps. That rotating action finder is pretty sweet, but it fetches about the same thing it did when it was new.

The 645 freaks people out pretty well. I can only imagine what the 67 does.
07-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Of my Takumars I find my 85/1.9 and 105/2.8 the most useful for street photography.....photos taken from the street, that is.

I'd probably go with something a lot shorter for sidewalk photography. Probably the 35/2 on a film body.
07-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Of my Takumars I find my 85/1.9 and 105/2.8 the most useful for street photography.....photos taken from the street, that is.

I'd probably go with something a lot shorter for sidewalk photography. Probably the 35/2 on a film body.
I'm curious now what you mean by street photography. I understood street photography to be taken from the sidewalk.

07-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

It does not matter whether 'street' photography is taken on the street, sidewalk, cafe, in a shop, a garden etc etc.

Front filter sizes matter too. If someone points a big 82mm wide piece of glass at you, that's quite imposing and noticeable.
07-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm curious now what you mean by street photography.
Like I said: photos taken from the street.

QuoteQuote:
I understood street photography to be taken from the sidewalk.
Then it should be called sidewalk photography. But as English is a language which has us parking in driveways and driving on parkways I don't really expect that anyone would call photographs taken on the sidewalk "sidewalk photography"; that would make too much sense.

I had been doing most of my picture-taking from inside a truck....on the street.... and wondered if there were any other people who did the same, so I did a search on "street" and "photography" and was surprised (and a little irked) to learn that the term "street photography" was already in use. I had never heard of it before.

At any rate, the distances involved are greater than those the sidewalk photographers work with so a bit of telephoto is called for. Hence the 85mm and 105mm. Anything longer is too limiting and just a bit unsporting.

Some street photos, according to my definition of "street photo". They will, of course, not meet with anyone else's definition of "street photo" (since they're actually talking about sidewalk photos, you see).
07-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
To be honest, first thing I'd recommend is stop worrying about the lens, go out and shoot street with whatever you've got, and see what you think slightly down the track.
This is absolutely right.

I don't think i'd be suggesting manual primes for a beginner also. The kit should suffice.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'd probably go with something a lot shorter for sidewalk photography.
So for each part of public space, we now need to rename it? I often indulge in train photography, metro photography, arcade photography & shop photography.

I'm curious now what you mean by street photography. I understood street photography to be taken from the sidewalk.
Mike is simply being far too literal.
07-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
easily the DA 40
07-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote

Mike is simply being far too literal.
A personal fault which I acknowledged in my post. I'm not so far around the bend that I no longer recognize when I am the square peg in the round hole. Although I did once tell my wife, "Any time one of my opinions seems not to jibe with reality you may rest assured it is reality that needs to get with the effing program."
07-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't do much street work, but when I do...

On 35mm film I like a 28mm or 35mm. The classic is 35mm - 40mm, but I am sort of wide-sighted.

On APS-C, I like the Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye. A 20mm would be better, but Ohhh the price!!!

Steve
07-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Why in the heck does the physical size of the camera put people at ease or not. I've noticed that people are pretty comfortable when you have a older camera like a TLR too. It must be how far the lens sticks out from the body, lol.
I've wanted a TLR for just that reason. (My Y-mat departed many years ago) I think it is the waist level VF as well. I've found that if you take a shot on any camera from waist level or using live view, people are less intimidated.
Long lens hoods are intimidating too, or anything protruding from a camera at face level. A little RF / P&S is much less frightening, another reason to keep such at hand. But I should take my Praktica FX3 out more. It's a classic no-battery 135 SLR that also lacks a pentaprism, depending on a waist-level ground-glass VF. One nice bonus is that all the lens' focus and aperture marks are clearly visible as I look down into the VF. A protruding lens might not scare the passersby, but long lenses are a bit difficult to focus -- wide-angles work better. The Mir-1B 37/2.8 is just about ideal, while it's rather awkward on my K20D, where the focus marks disappear under the flash spur. And of course 21-24-28 lenses are WIDE on the FX3. Yummy!
07-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Also you have the issue of low control without using menus.
You have control of aperture and shutter speed. What more do you really need? ISO maybe a couple of times a day, when the sun comes up and then when it goes down.

QuoteQuote:
To be honest, first thing I'd recommend is stop worrying about the lens, go out and shoot street with whatever you've got, and see what you think slightly down the track.
Agreed.