Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Broken Zoom!

So I was doing some shooting in Newburyport, MA and I had my family with me. I put down my K200D with a Sigma 70-300mm DL Macro Super, my favourite all-around lens (not a bad lens for the price...nice and sharp), inside my camera bag and go get a snack for the kids. Suddenly I hear that sickening, plastic hitting concrete sound...my son had grabbed the camera out of the bag to bring it back to me (oh helpful child) and it hits lens first. I turn pale.

I pick up the camera and check it out...the camera is fine, the lens AF's with not issue. It zooms with no issue...it does not come back. The zoom mechanism seems to be broken. The lens works great other than that and that's big to me.

Does anyone know if something like that can be fixed? I am on a severely limited budget as it is for this kind of thing but I am technically savvy.

Any info would be appreciated...thanks in advance!

07-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I'm sure it can be fixed by trained technician, but not likely by you or me.

And the repair cost will likely be close to a new lens.
07-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

My brother just had his 70-300 fixed, i'll find out what it cost him and write back. may take a day.
07-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ah, sorry to hear that! My kids are pretty "helpful" too, but so far I've kept them from damaging anything (knock wood).

I had a zoom lens get stuck once. I have it a few firm taps on the butt end and it's been fine ever since. Mine seized up for no apparent reason though, there was no fall or damage. But it couldn't hurt at this point.

07-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
My brother just had his 70-300 fixed, i'll find out what it cost him and write back. may take a day.
That would be awesome...thank you!

Thanks, guys, for your thoughts...
07-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

This sounds like just the reason to let LBA kick in.
07-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It will be difficult to repair. This lens has an internal plastic ring that connects to the outer zoom control through a 'tab in a slot' arrangement. If it will zoom in one direction, but not the other, it sounds like the 'slot' has broken. Can you make it zoom back by pushing on the front? This may not be economically repairable.
07-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
It will be difficult to repair. This lens has an internal plastic ring that connects to the outer zoom control through a 'tab in a slot' arrangement. If it will zoom in one direction, but not the other, it sounds like the 'slot' has broken. Can you make it zoom back by pushing on the front? This may not be economically repairable.
I can make it zoom pack by pushing, yes...rather easily. If it wasn't for that, the lens would be fine but it leaves me sad. Eh, such is life. It took great shots, though...

07-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought such a lens on ebay a while back for ten dollars or so. It was a 70-300mm Quantaray, I think. Same as Sigma. I thought it might be fun to take it apart and fix it. When I got it apart, I saw that I would need to fabricate a part to make it zoom correctly. I put it in a shoe box, and gave up on it. An evenings entertainment.