Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Lens Options

I have a small collection of lenses varying from old film slr to newer "kit" lenses.
I want to add 2 more. I've allready decided on the Sigma 150-500mm, but I'm not sure what kind of wide angle and macro lens to get?
(Sorry about the repeat questions, still getting used to navigating the forum

Last edited by Cobra Gr1; 07-23-2010 at 12:16 PM.
07-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It all depends on what you want to do with wide and macro lenses, your budget, your style, the phase of the moon, and fluctuations in the currency markets. Just to be safe, get one of everything, as long as they're labeled PENTAX. Let's keep Pentax in business, keep their masters and stockholders at Hoya happy, etc. Spend everything you have; it's only money.
07-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Wide angle & macro ... how about the DA35 Ltd ? It's not really wide, it's "normal", but I don't know of any wider macro lenses except for the pseudo macro zooms like the Sigma 17-70.
07-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cobra Gr1 Quote
I have a small collection of lenses varying from old film slr to newer "kit" lenses.
I want to add 2 more. I've allready decided on the Sigma 150-500mm, but I'm not sure what kind of wide angle and macro lens to get?
I recently got the 150-500 :-)

The Pentax 12-24 covers a versatile range, and as millimeters matter a lot at the wide end of things, it is very flexible.

The Tamron 90 macro is very highly rated and relatively reasonably priced - I think the rebate is still going - at about $410. Of course going manual focus or used opens other economics.

07-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cobra Gr1 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It all depends on what you want to do with wide and macro lenses, your budget, your style, the phase of the moon, and fluctuations in the currency markets. Just to be safe, get one of everything, as long as they're labeled PENTAX. Let's keep Pentax in business, keep their masters and stockholders at Hoya happy, etc. Spend everything you have; it's only money.
actually it really depends on what you have already in terms of focal lengths as well as what you want to do with the lens.

You might have something suitable already for macro, for example and do you want Manual focus or auto focus for the macro.

for wide angle there are about 20 options between 3.5mm sigma fisheye, to 20mm lenses plus 3-4 zooms starting at 10-12,mm