Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

m42 extension tube question

screwmount extension tubes are they only usable with screwmount lens or is there a way that you can use a modern lens on them? I guess with an adaptor that you can use them on the modern DSLR.

07-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have to question why you would want to do this

M42 tubes are generally a hollow pipe.

youu can get automatic (aperature activation that is) tubes for K mount lenses that do not require manually stopping down the lens to shoot
07-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They're only usable with screwmount lenses. There aren't any modern lenses that adapt to screwmount, though a few lenses are still made in screwmount (Zeiss ZS) and some older M39 lenses made for Zenit cameras can be adapted to M42.
07-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

M42 tubes, mounted on a Pentax camera with an M42-PK adapter, can only use lenses with an M42 base. Other (not-modern) lenses, such as those with M39 threads, can fit on those tubes. But 'modern' lenses, no, they won't work. I keep a couple types of tubes around, both the M42s for use with screwmount lenses, and larger tubes with PK mounts. Such tubes are usually just as cheap as the M42s.

The larger tubes usually have mount-specific end pieces, and generic extension pieces. If I get such tube sets for Canon and other mounts, I'll be able to use such non-Pentaxian lenses for macro work. That's one way to deal with the overflow...

07-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Enlarging Lenses on M42 Tubes - Super Share & Inexpensive

You can purchase an adapter to mount the M42 tubes on your Pentax Camera. They are inexpensive on eBay.

You can purchase an enlarging lens on eBay, something in the 80 to 105 focal length provides a decent working distance to magnification. Enlarging lenses are optimized for close focus. Most are M39 and you can get a M39 to M42 adapter to mount them on the M42 tubes.

I have written an article on Inexpensive Macro Photography leveraging bellows and enlarging lenses. You can use the enlarging lenses on tubes. If you want to learn more and get some information on recommended lenses the article can be found at the link below.

http://sites.google.com/site/inexpensivemacrophotography/