Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

unknown Sigma 28mm f/1.8

Does anyone know anything about this lens?

Sigma Wide Angle 28mm f/1.8II Aspherical Autofocus Lens 429109 -

It seems too good to be true, especially at the price, a Google came up with nothing, I couldn't find it for sale anywhere else, there's no reviews.

For the price I'm really tempted since I don't have any fast lenses and I'm reluctant to buy the Pentax 50mm 1.4 because it's too long or any f/2.8 lenses since I normally shoot at f/3.5 anyway.

I can't image why something so affordable and with such a great focal length isn't wildly popular

07-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks like this one: PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Sigma 28mm f/1.8 Aspherical II Lens Reviews

As far as the database goes, looks like a winner, though the price seems to be average.
07-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it's an old 28mm. although the floating element seems to be an eye candy, it does have it's share of problems which aren't that promising. it does a good job, but nothing like the Pentax K28/2. although the AF function might interest you. it's a toss up between the old Sigma and it's newer version.

wide open, this lens would shine but would require a good hood. for consistency, the new 28 would be better. also the body is better in the new Sigma as well. the old one is more compact and smaller though. take your pick.
07-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the info. I might pull the trigger on it because I'm getting it for the speed, not the sharpness, especially since it's so cheap.

When I want a sharp an consistent lens I'll probably just plunk down the money for the DA* 16-50 or one of the Pentax primes which will definitely be more expensive.