Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Bug in a Lens (literally)

OK, funny story. I was trying to rehabilitate a yellowish 75-150mm M zoom using a UVb light. It was one of the self-ballasted fluorescents that you can use in a regular lamp, not a tube. As a consequence, I had the lens sitting with the mount toward the lamp and the filter ring down on a mirror to maximize the amount of light bouncing through the lens as suggested in various forums posts.

Long story short, two nights ago some small bug apparently landed on the lens, got confused, and wandered it's way down inside following the reflected light! Imagine my consternation when I pick up the lens in the morning and see something crawling around inside. Last night I capped the front element and left the lens again. The little guy either crawled back out or at least had the good grace to die and stay stuck in some interior corner, but at least I can't see it any more. And you wonder how dust gets in these lenses?

Sorry I don't have any photos, but figured some might appreciate the humor and the cautionary tale.

Cheers,

Andrew

07-24-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have cool bugs in Panama!
07-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Many cool ones, but this one qualified more as worrisome .
07-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had a bug visible in the viewfinder of my Spotmatic for over 20 years. It's probably petrified by now.

07-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I hope you charged him B&B (Bed & Breakfast) rates.
07-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #6

I had a tiny bug or spider one day between screen and prism of my ME Super and could watch it wandering around when focussing and composing. Being out with another photo enthusiast, I asked him for a blower or brush, because my first impression was that the beast was hopping on the outer side of the screen and I didn't want to slam it to the screen with the next picture taken.

I don't know whether the ME Super is a convenient place to hibernate but it seems to be gone by-by now...

At least it was MUCH smaller than the unfortunate spider that cobwebbed the inside of the dashboard of my car for more than a year, grrrr. Now, its dead body lies inside (no flies around) and I can read the fuel indicator again.
07-25-2010, 04:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I hope you charged him B&B (Bed & Breakfast) rates.
Only legal in the case of bedbugs.