Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is how lenses multiply. You are foolishly thinking that you are choosing the lenses, when it's the lenses that are choosing you.

The same theories apply to animal breeding and crop domestication.

07-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vranx Quote
... What I can tell from heart is: every lens that wanted to be picked told me about its strenghts and weaknesses and how to handle its focal length and field/angle of view, so it was never a waste of time or film, even if the results were not all keepers.
Exactly! We are so so fortunate to have dSLR instant feedback. Using many lenses provides a big fast boost up the photography learning curve that film-era folks spent many years navigating.
07-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
This is how lenses multiply. You are foolishly thinking that you are choosing the lenses, when it's the lenses that are choosing you.

And next time you go for a walk consider you're only rolling a big ball beneath your feet. Now what happens if everybody walking suddenly stops at the same time

What a fun thread here!
07-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Some think that better gear makes them better photographers. T'ain't so. Note the hierarchy of significance of the factors in making a photo, in decreasing order:

1) the photographer
2) the subject
3) the light
4) the lens
5) the camera
I agree entirely. However the easiest thing to change are the last two items, which is why people go on about them so much! (Also, it's fun.)

07-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Only last night I heard somebody say how intuition works that made a lot of sense to me. The 'brain' assembles a reasonable explanation from untold numbers of subtle and seemingly unrelated experiences, such as changes in tone and timbre of voice, word choices, unconsciously seen details, and memories of past experience.

'Follow your intuition' and 'follow your heart' are often given advices which recognize the mind's uncanny ability to integrate mass amounts of data into reasonable and often accurate conclusions.

Of course these factors can be manipulated to obtain a desired result; witness the advertising trade, and salesperson tactics from ancient times...it is highly doubtful a lens in and of itself can do that, however.
Enjoyed reading this...........
07-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

A black dress . . .

For many, many years all one needed to command my clutch was a pristine black dress and SMC makeup. No juvenile, diminutive form. No extra buttons to push. No shallow, auto-assignation.

Innocence was all I desired, O K? - untouched and pure. Isn't love pretty when its new?

Just lately though my head has been turned a time or two by the knowing smile of world-worn rings. There's a risk of pathologies - neglect, abuse - but often the caress of an experienced aperture is sublime.
07-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Man...this total explains my LBA! I'll explain it to my wife and maybe she'll let me go crazy now!

Then again, perhaps I shouldn't hold my breath...
07-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #23

Original Poster
Always I had the eerie feeling about that being the case - but can one explain how, for example, the Tokina 2.8/60-120 contrived the manipulation to make me overpay but enjoy anyhow???