Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Scratch inside my new Vivitar s1 lens?

I just purchased on e-bay a Vivitar series 1 105mm 2.5 macro lens from traderjims. Of course I was thrilled when it showed up today. I've been running around snapping pictures and trying things out. All the pictures I have taken have been in pretty low light and they have turned out very well IMHO.

So this evening I decide to have a look inside. I opened the aperture up wide and held it up to a bright light. To my horror I have what appears to be a scratch inside the lens on one of the elements. It runs from the outside edge towards the middle about 1 cm.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Or is this a "normal" type of manufacturing flaw, and I'll just live with it. I'm guessing it would result in a little more possibility of sun flare in the right conditions. I'm not sure what else it would do.

Any advise or insight on this issue is appreciated!

I have been very pleased with the results from the lens so far, but I just don't want to be dissapointed later on. Thanks!

08-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why not contact Vivtar and ask them
Vivitar
They should have some quality control standards which they should be more than happy to pass onto you.

Personally I wouldn't want that in a new lens, however if I got it in a used lens and it didn't effect picture quality I'd just live with it.
08-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well my concern would be how did it get there. I'm assuming it's used is that correct? If so then the lens has been serviced and you don't know what for. Could have had fungus, maybe an issue with focusing etc. So in that case I'd return the lens for a replacement or refund.

If it was new and sealed in a package that you know you were the first to open then I'd agree with Stu and quickly contact Vivitar. But I'd certainly write Jim's ASAP to let him know you've discovered an issue. Ebay sellers don't offer much time for service stuff before they blame you for problems.

Good luck
08-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

it takes a lot of lens damage tou hurt your final image. but.... if it's damaged , i'd get in touch with TJ and see what he'll do..

08-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. The lens is brand new, but it is old stock. It came in perfectly wrapped plastic and a new box. It wasn't even shelf worn like some NOS can be. If I had to guess I would say the lens was made in the early 90's. I'm not sure if any warranties would be valid some 12-13 years later. Although the documentation that came with the lens says it has a 5 year warranty.

I'm thinking any recourse I have would be through traderjims. I'll check that out. I just wasn't sure if this was something that was common or expected. Or if it would cause me any major quality issues. Thanks for the help!
08-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

To be truly amazed at the condition a lens can be in and still yield beautiful results, take a look here:

Vintage Folding Cameras (Bug and Spring in lens)
08-18-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mike. My itsy bitsy scratch looks like nothing compared to that! Puts it into perspective for me.....
08-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
roy
Inactive Account

i've got an A*300/4 that looks like someone cleaned the front lens with a brick

but it still takes shots like this. i have to be careful about flare.

live with it or talk to TJ.

08-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Roy. Again, that puts it into perspective for me. It is amazing that you can get good pictures out of that lens. Cleaning it with a brick looks about right!

I really have to look for the scratch on my lens. It is only about the thickness of a fine hair. I'm starting to think I would never even notice a problem from it.

I'll make a decision on what to do about it in the next few days.

Thanks again.
08-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Fritz, the warranty is there for a reason, and it doesn't matter if the lens has been sitting on the shelves for 30 years it starts the day you bought it new.

However since it's been on the shelves for so long it might be a problem to have fixed or replaced. So if it doesn't effect the picture quality then you may as well leave it alone.

That is unless traderjims happens to have another one in stock. They might be willing to exchange it.
They could still sell it as a really nice used unit.

Roy, That's 1 UGLY lens and yet it still takes sweet pictures. I'm impressed.

Some of my best pic's still come from my only lens with fungus in.
I kind of wish I would have inspected it better when I bought it used and exchanged it, but I would have missed out of several breathtaking pic's.
08-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

stu,
that lens usually sells for 6-900 on ebay. i got it locally for 81usd. i have to look out for flare from thr sun but i've got the worse places on the front painted black to help. here's another shot from my $81 lens

08-19-2007, 09:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I think the lens is a keeper. I shot around a lot today and didn't notice any issues with flare or any other negative attributes that I could attribute to the small scratch. This has been a very informative thread for me. Thanks again for all the comments. Now I just need to fine tune my skills with macro photography (if I had any to start with! ).

Here are a few shots, straight RAW to JPG conversion using PPL. No other editing. Not the most beautiful subjects or composition, I know, but it was all that I could find today.

08-20-2007, 06:24 AM   #13
roy
Inactive Account

very nice fritz
going off camera flash makes a world of difference when you are ready.

i've got a few posted HERE
08-20-2007, 07:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Roy. I'll check into the various flash arrangements. What type of flash setup are you using?

I enjoyed your macro album, especially the jumping spiders!
08-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #15
roy
Inactive Account

i built a custom grip out of some aluminum stock and pieces i had laying around.. works well but the cords and adapters are not the cheapest thing i've bought. but it was about the best money i've spent.
the jumping spiders were shot with a DIY LED ring light and a reversed 50mm lens.