Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #1

M lenses on K20D

I know this has been discussed here several times but I never needed to know how to use them. I have been given 3 M series lenses. I put them on the K20D and no surprise, the body can't meter with these lenses. Is my only option to get a handheld light meter?

Thanks.

07-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
emr

Enable menu item "aperture ring permitted" or something like that. Use M mode. Then manually choose the aperture on the lens and push the green button to measure exposure. That's how I do it.
07-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter

This oughtta help you out

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html
07-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be aware that you can expect the meter to indicate up to 2 stops underexposure at wider apertures. This is a known problem, is mentioned (sort of) in the owner's manual, and is just one of the things we learn to live with when shooting this legacy glass. The key is to shoot, chimp, adjust, and shoot. There is generally no need to re-meter between shots unless the light or subject changes.

Steve

P.S. The metering issue was addressed and pretty much fixed on both the K-x and K-7 bodies.

07-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
I know this has been discussed here several times but I never needed to know how to use them. I have been given 3 M series lenses. I put them on the K20D and no surprise, the body can't meter with these lenses. Is my only option to get a handheld light meter?

Thanks.
Nice gift! Which ones did you get? Handheld meter is certainly an option but as others note, not needed.

The way I do it is to go to M mode, set the Preview for Optical (have the shutter speed mapped to the rear dial for this). When you've set your aperture, pull the preview lever which will stop down the lens And show the meter in the viewfinder. With your thumb, twist the rear dial to adjust shutter speed to get your desired exposure. Personally, I've found there is no need to do any compensation with this method but I don't use the green button either. It really sounds more complicated than it is and once you get use to it, it will become second nature with these types of lenses.

Good luck and show us some photos!