Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
emr

Pentax 43mm limited for Leica???

I was just browsing the getdpi.com forum and came by a for sale topic, where the item seems to be a Pentax FA 43mm limited for Leica screw mount. What the heck - never heard of such lenses. Are there others like this?

FS: Pentax-L 43mm f1.9 LTM (Leica screw mount) RARE! - The GetDPI Photography Forums

07-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wasn't that the only pentax lens ever made in leica mount... because it was "that" good?
07-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Note how PENTAX made the aperture ring and focusing ring turn opposite of what we Pentaxians are used to so as to match the Leica way of things!
07-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
and I thought Leica lenses were the creme dela creme of lenses. why the need for such unless you want to go cheap and is unusual for someone who's going to invest in a camera brand that is known to be pricey?

07-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I was just browsing the getdpi.com forum and came by a for sale topic, where the item seems to be a Pentax FA 43mm limited for Leica screw mount. What the heck - never heard of such lenses. Are there others like this?

FS: Pentax-L 43mm f1.9 LTM (Leica screw mount) RARE! - The GetDPI Photography Forums
It has the 43 Ltd's optics. It came out around 2000 for the L system and includes the matching viewfinder. It was available in black and silver versions.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
and I thought Leica lenses were the creme dela creme of lenses. why the need for such unless you want to go cheap and is unusual for someone who's going to invest in a camera brand that is known to be pricey?
Even at the going prices the L Special is still a bargain compared to the Leica L glass. However, the prices are way up because it has been out of production and there wasn't that many of them made. I came close to getting a Voigtlander rangefinder and one of these about a year and a half ago.

Last edited by Blue; 07-25-2010 at 04:49 PM.
07-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its a really good lens for leica M system, and it is even sought after by aficionados. Apart from the non standard focal length I use it on my konica Hexar as a kind of anti-leica statement. Even though I probably own more Leica equipment than anyone else in Adelaide.
07-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's a pretty standard focal length for a rangefinder. I've had a few with fixed lenses in the 40-45mm range.

07-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sort of off topic here, but is there an advantage to using a 35mm focal length versus a 40-50mm focal length on a rangefinder versus using the same lenses on a 35mm film camera?
07-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Sort of off topic here, but is there an advantage to using a 35mm focal length versus a 40-50mm focal length on a rangefinder versus using the same lenses on a 35mm film camera?

well for starters lenses in the wide-angle category are much easier to design on rangefinders due to the fact that rangefinders don't have mirrors flipping up and down behind the lens, so wide angle lenses with simplified designs can achieve superior results to SLR based designs. not to mention they have a tendency to be half the physical size of SLR lenses at equivalent f stop values.
07-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
well for starters lenses in the wide-angle category are much easier to design on rangefinders due to the fact that rangefinders don't have mirrors flipping up and down behind the lens, so wide angle lenses with simplified designs can achieve superior results to SLR based designs. not to mention they have a tendency to be half the physical size of SLR lenses at equivalent f stop values.
The Pentax K & Auto Tak 35/3.5 was rather compact.
07-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

also, the new concept of mirrorless dSLR's seems to nullify that advantage of rangefinders. although I'm not sure if this would affect Leica's pricing.
07-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
also, the new concept of mirrorless dSLR's seems to nullify that advantage of rangefinders. although I'm not sure if this would affect Leica's pricing.

mirrorless dSLR. Hysterical Wouldn't that be a dSL.
07-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
mirrorless dSLR. :Hysterical: Wouldn't that be a dSL.
well, you know what I meant.
07-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, from a quick look at the rangefinders and Leica fora on the internet, it's obvious the RF crowd is even more fanatical than the SLR crowd. What's the plural form of Leica anyway?
07-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Thanks. I just picked up a G2 NIB this week from someone who bought a complete new RF kit a number of years ago and then never even opened the boxes after that. Everything was still in the original wrapping. He wanted to sell locally to avoid being scammed, so we both ended up happy. I've got to buy some hoods and protective filters before I take this baby out for its first test drive.

I've never examined a RF closely before. So the first thing that crossed my mind when I looked at the camera body was, hey where's the mirror gone?? Ha ha ha!

Those Leicaphiles on the 'net are a hoot!