Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this a sign of early LBA?

My ME Super currently has a M 50mm f/2, though I recently learned that the f/1.7 or 1.4 are really what you want. I found an excellent condition M 50 f/1.7 on eBay and snagged it for about $22 within 30 seconds of the auction ending. It only occurred to me after the fact that I only might be able to scrounge up enough $1 bills from my tips (busser. . . not stripper) to pay for it. Is this a sign of early onset LBA? Should I prepare to have no spending money in college due to that DA 40 that I'm drooling over?

Anyway, I think I got a pretty good deal. It's coming with an ME, though apparently the meter doesn't work; I don't quite know what I'm going to do with it yet.

07-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What you need is

a A 50mm macro, tak 85 is popular, a 135, 24mm, fisheye, 28 and 35,some knockoffs> jc penny, sears,sigmas and vivitars. 2x converters, extension tubes, filters and lots of them, hoods, zoom-zooms. Maybe re-think that stripper bit.
07-25-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tomzee93 Quote
My ME Super currently has a M 50mm f/2, though I recently learned that the f/1.7 or 1.4 are really what you want. I found an excellent condition M 50 f/1.7 on eBay and snagged it for about $22 within 30 seconds of the auction ending. It only occurred to me after the fact that I only might be able to scrounge up enough $1 bills from my tips (busser. . . not stripper) to pay for it. Is this a sign of early onset LBA? Should I prepare to have no spending money in college due to that DA 40 that I'm drooling over?

Anyway, I think I got a pretty good deal. It's coming with an ME, though apparently the meter doesn't work; I don't quite know what I'm going to do with it yet.
Re LBA, not quite yet. My early sign of LBA was discovered when I snatched over 20 lenses in the first day on eBay. My credit company automatically put my credit card on hold since they suspected fraudulent activities on that day
07-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Re LBA, not quite yet. My early sign of LBA was discovered when I snatched over 20 lenses in the first day on eBay.
Real LBA is when you bid on a WHOLESALE LOT of 20 mixed lenses, 19 of which you don't want, in order to get the one prize you desperately want.

Real LBA is when you bid on a half-dozen Industar-50 auctions, hoping you'll win one -- and you win them all -- and they arrive, and they're all Leica mounts.

Real LBA is when you have a dozen or more 50's, but you keep buying more because you want to test-shoot them against what you already have.

Real LBA is buying extra copies of lenses you already have, because they're cheap, and you like them so much that you just want more, more, more.

REAL real LBA also involves financial and personal ruin, etc. Do NOT try to collect the entire set of Vivitar glass, it can't be done without bankruptcy.

07-26-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Real LBA is when you bid on a WHOLESALE LOT of 20 mixed lenses, 19 of which you don't want, in order to get the one prize you desperately want.

Real LBA is when you bid on a half-dozen Industar-50 auctions, hoping you'll win one -- and you win them all -- and they arrive, and they're all Leica mounts.

Real LBA is when you have a dozen or more 50's, but you keep buying more because you want to test-shoot them against what you already have.

Real LBA is buying extra copies of lenses you already have, because they're cheap, and you like them so much that you just want more, more, more.

REAL real LBA also involves financial and personal ruin, etc. Do NOT try to collect the entire set of Vivitar glass, it can't be done without bankruptcy.
Haha well said and it describes my situation quite accurately.
07-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is a good deal on the 50/1.7.

The real test is when you compare it against the 50/2 and decide that you might as well keep both.

Then you buy the 50/1.4 and find it is not quite as sharp as the 50/1.7, but you like the bokeh better.

And of course you still keep the 50/2--not worth much, and might be a good lens to bring somewhere for some purpose where you're afraid to bring your other fifties (this occasion actually never arises).

Then repeat in 6 or seven other focal lengths. Then we'll talk LBA.