Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

M50mm F1.4 - strange color

Hi
I got recently an SMC-M 50mm f1.4, and start using it last weekend with my K20D. The lens looks and feels in great shape, but some photos come out with a wierd color cast.
I was using as a lens hood, and aperture was around f4 - f 5.6. The sun was about 90 to left of the lens. Does any one experienced this before?
The first picture shows the problem , the second picture was taken instants later and it looks normal.

Of course this lens is not the ideal for bright light swimming pool shots, but I thought it would be a better performer, now I understand why the f1.7 version is so praised, I know I love my A50 1.7
Thank's for any feedback.

07-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a simple WB issue to me; I rather doubt the lens would suddenly change color like that. AWB is largely a guessing game - trying to figure out what color the light is by looking at the apparent color of objects in the scene - and it's sort of a miracle that it ever comes out right. Occasional misfires are pretty common.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-27-2010 at 02:41 PM.
07-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The water has caused a colour failure.
This is a white balance problem, not a lens problem.
07-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, that makes sense.
I always use the auto WB and never had such a weird color balance. This happened in 3 or 4 photos.
As this was the first time I was using this lens my first thought was that it had some defect in the coating... I'm glad it is not.
This lens is very nice, but not the upgrade I thought it would be from the 1.7, of course unless you want to use f1.4. One thing that would be good is if there was a stop between 1.4 and 2.
Thank's for your comments.

07-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rupi Quote
Yes, that makes sense.
I always use the auto WB and never had such a weird color balance. This happened in 3 or 4 photos.
As this was the first time I was using this lens my first thought was that it had some defect in the coating... I'm glad it is not.
This lens is very nice, but not the upgrade I thought it would be from the 1.7, of course unless you want to use f1.4. One thing that would be good is if there was a stop between 1.4 and 2.
Thank's for your comments.
Yes, WB problem.

However, whenever photographing water, a circular polarizer is a terrific asset. It won't help the WB, but it makes for a better blue.
07-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rupi Quote
This lens is very nice, but not the upgrade I thought it would be from the 1.7, of course unless you want to use f1.4.
Indeed, many people actually prefer the 1.7.