Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
If shooting video is what you're after, why not a Sony NEX-VG10 with a K-mount adapter?
Have those adapters ever gone into production?

07-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
If shooting video is what you're after, why not a Sony NEX-VG10 with a K-mount adapter?
it is an option- but I also would quite like a new SLR too to take me into areas my DL won't go, 6mp and crapy ISO performance abover ISO 400 (I kid you not) are starting to hold me back- a WR body, better ISO and more megapixels would allow me to shoot in different situations, the DL would still be used as my compact/throw and go camera

also I really want a 1 camera photo/video solution- I carry my camera with me 24/7 to shoot stock, but finding photo stock for free is easy so i only shoot my own stock if I have a specific application- but video stock is expensive, so i'd be shooting most of that myself

also, the nex aren't proven yet- could have all sorts of issues, there's custom firmware out for the 7D and the GH1, their faults have been corrected
09-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #18
Site Supporter

This is an interesting topic. I have been trolling around some off-brand forums recently and I am struck by the number of discussions and questions about using Pentax glass on Canon and Nikon bodies. It's certainly not a dominant topic, but it comes up way more than I would expect.
09-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
This is an interesting topic. I have been trolling around some off-brand forums recently and I am struck by the number of discussions and questions about using Pentax glass on Canon and Nikon bodies. It's certainly not a dominant topic, but it comes up way more than I would expect.
A guy on mflenses started a thread this week about adapting a Pentax 50/1.2 to use on a Canon ff body. He'll have to cut the levers.

01-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Well, what about savaging a thin pentax macro toob to get clearance on the cannon 5D. Then attaching the lenses to the toob. You will loose light , and gain closer focus, but will it work?
01-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #21
Pentaxian

There are some adaptors out there for canon because the throat of the canon mount is larger and the registration distance of canon lenses is shorter. These two Physical points mean there is space to accomodate an adaptor ring to accept pentax lenses on canon bodies. Search e-bay for adaptors
01-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
There are some adaptors out there for canon because the throat of the canon mount is larger and the registration distance of canon lenses is shorter. These two Physical points mean there is space to accomodate an adaptor ring to accept pentax lenses on canon bodies. Search e-bay for adaptors
That's not entirely true on the full frame canon dslr bodies due to the mirror smacking the back of the lenses. Some have got around that by shaving the mirror. There are supposedly some current adapters that solve that problem as well, but caution should be used with the full frame bodies. Plus, there is a lot of lever cutting of Pentax lenses. It pays to do a lot of research before jumping on just any adapter.
01-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
it certainly will

they could leapfrog canon here- if they advertised the use of vintage primes (I know it's not good for the company as they make the most money on lenses) then people would reconsider pentax, because everyone who ever sees my camera is surprised that you can use the old/cheap/great lenses on it and save 100's compared to the AF equivalents, and the availability of cheap primes (with excellent manual focus and manual apperture) plus In built IS are 3 features that most indie filmakers would go nuts for, the problem is that no one knows about these features, canon has agressive marketing in the film making circle, and pentax does not- I hope this is because they know there current camera can't compete, and not a sign that they're not interested- because they could easily steal some sales there.
There seems to be a convergence of still cameras and video cameras. Pentax is aware of this, or they would not made such nice audio capability in there K7-K5. I think Pentax could leapfrog cannon,s ff dslr, if they Made a ff K5 with the ability to control the camera manually. It must be able to do 24,25,30,and 60fps. I have seen the cannon in action, and was impressed with how much more latitude a ff sensor gives you, not to mention the simplicity of a 50mm lens being a 50mm. But that would not be enough. They would have to market it very heavily as the ultimate video DSLR, with a limitless choice of vintage lenses. It is to bad that producers don't ask for a DSLR that does 60fps, they want a 5D ! It is an upward promotional battle, but not insurmountable. And I am not talking about just indie filmmakers, the 5d is replacing the second camera on television shoots. It is being used for b-roll, and first camera when a full sized Hi-def video camera is to big ( inside a car), or to distracting. It is also used in situations were you dont want it to be known a video camera is rolling, it is also used for sitdown interviews, when your lighting options are limited (latitude). The only place that DSLR's dont do well for video is verte'. I would guess that half the 5Dmk sales are from videographers, and production companys, that can rent it out, or forgo spending 30grand on a new hi-def video camera (without lens). Pentax should go after this market with a camera yet to be developed. Let me call it the DLX, the camera cannon wished they developed, and market it to videographers, television production houses, indie "film"makers and pro. Photographers.

01-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm not interested in video, so don't know much about it and the use of a photo camera for that

But isn't it an idea to buy a dedicated video camera?

PS
Yes, I work in de television industry
01-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I'm not interested in video, so don't know much about it and the use of a photo camera for that

But isn't it an idea to buy a dedicated video camera?

PS
Yes, I work in de television industry
Video on a DSLR is already here. Why should Pentax not compete. As you probably know from working in television, a DSLR and a video camera have different strengths as far as video is concerned, i mention a few of them above. Even though I love my LX, and the look of slide film, I want a Pentax DSLR with the video capabilities mentioned above. I think there are a lot of Photographers out that want both in one DSLR. A lot of people buy the cannon 5D just for video, its all about sensor size and options (mentioned above). For $2500.00, you can replicate the look of a RED, that with all the extras can come close to a $100,000.00 package!
I think you bring up a good point. Maybe they should- in tandem develop the same camera, void of all video, for a third less. I would consider buying both! There is my dedicated video camera.
01-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I know video on a dslr is already there. And I understand Pentax needs to compete. But I missed the point that OP might want a (semi) professional setup and therefor might not be happy with an ordinary video camera of a few hunderd bucks.

PS
If it wasn't for my wife, I would not even have a television (such a waste of time).
01-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Agreed, T.V is a wast of time. I dont even have cable. Im not shore I understand. I wish I could rent my Hi-def camcorder to the networks. They use very expensive shoulder mounted disk cameras. The zoom lens alone can cost $30,000.00. But the point im trying to make is the target area of those cameras is very small. that is why there is so much dof. It does not matter if its film or digital, 35mm has less dof than 16mm. It is that out of focus background that is what is so hard to achieve with a video camera. DSLR's with that large target area, and the ability to use fast prime lenses gives them that" film look". That is why 5D's are flying off the shelf. I think Pentax should tap this market, it's only growing.

P.S
Nice sulfur crested cockatoo.