Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 Macro Questions

I was thinking of purchasing this lens, but i am not too sure if it would be worth it. Here is what i wanted to ask to the owners or people who have used/tried this lens out.

How well does it handle indoors? In low light

How well is it for sport photography, does it focus pretty decently, quickly, or does it hunt for a while..?

Have well does it perform in regards when shooting macro, i dont know if this is a macro 1:1 but my biggest concern is flowers, as i shoot mainly flowers, andsome insects...

So i just wanted to ask to the owners of this lens, is it worth the money you spent or would you invest in something else? Thank you for your time, and feedback.

07-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you read the reviews on the site about it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/showproduct.php?product=377&cat=74

I'd take a look at those first.
07-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have, but the reviews seem to be mixed to regards of the lens, i would not post this thread if i found what i needed in the lens reviews section, thank you.
07-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Here's my take on flower photos in general. Unless you want to fill the frame with one little part of it or you are taking photos of a bug resting on the flower, you don't need a macro lens.

FA*200 f2.8

DA*300 f4

What the long focal length buys you is distance to subject. The above were taken at 5-6 feet from the flowers. I own and love using several macro lenses but for general flower shots, they aren't necessary. You can get similar results with a wide angle (but you have to get much closer).. For macro shots don't overlook using reversing adapters for your existing lenses as well (probably the least expensive option out there)..

A50 f1.2 reversed..

As to the rest of your questions, I'll let someone who actually owns the lens answer.

07-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

you could rent the lens... prices are quite reasonable for pentax system
07-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're into flowers, I'd suggest looking no further than a decent macro lens.

If you want it to double up as a sports lens, you'll be compromising on two important aspects:
focal length for sports (in a macro lens - the longest around are either 180mm or 200mm) and close-focusing ability for your flower shots (long telephotos don't offer very close working distances for the best results in macro photography).

Sounds like you'd need two different lenses - one standard 50, 70 or 100mm macro, and one long telephoto, like a 300mm prime (as Pentax have) or Sigma 50-500/120-400/150-500.
07-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have the non-macro version.
Focusses fast.
In low light it's the same as any other f2.8 lens.
Sport photos - check my website - it's what i always use (Usually with a 1.4xTC which slows the focus down).
07-27-2010, 02:24 AM   #8

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I have the Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM II Macro version of the lens and use it on a K20D mostly for motorcross images but for some other stuff to. I find the focus to be reasonably fast and pretty accurate on my camera and am very happy with it. I don't have a problem with it hunting as long as the light is ok, indoors there is a little bit of hunting in dull light but thats probably more to do with the camera. Its not really a macro lens either, it has a reasonably close (100cm) focusing distance for the focal length but its not a macro and can't do 1:1. Like what was said above, if you want close up macro, go for a true macro like the Sigma 105 or 150mm f2.8 lenses.

07-27-2010, 05:17 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well if i can ask, i have though of getting the da* 300mm and remember seeing someone on the reviews page saying that its a good lens for some macro. I was planing to get the pentax d fa 100mm macro wr version, do you think this lens would be good for flower macro photography? thanks .
07-27-2010, 05:19 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
thank you for that imput paul, really appreciate it.
07-27-2010, 05:21 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
So i guess i will skip on the sigma 70-200mm, and get a 90-100mm focal range macro instead, because that is one reason i enjoy photography. Thank you for all your time and suggestion guys.
07-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by A.M.92 Quote
Well if i can ask, i have though of getting the da* 300mm and remember seeing someone on the reviews page saying that its a good lens for some macro. I was planing to get the pentax d fa 100mm macro wr version, do you think this lens would be good for flower macro photography? thanks .
If you were planning on the DFA100WR, continue doing so until you actually get one. My post was merely to demonstrate that a macro lens is not needed to get closeup photos of flowers. From MY DFA 100mm f2.8 WR ...

Pentax DFA 100mm f2.8 WR - a set on Flickr

The 300mm is a good way to fill the frame from a distance but I wouldn't call it 'macro'. With some cropping, you can get macro-like photos, but it isn't a Macro lens.

DA*300mm SDM - a set on Flickr

None of my 300mm photos are cropped except a couple of the bird on wire (and in tree) shots. I think the seagull flying shot is a crop as well.