Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2010, 11:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Oh wow I didn't even know about the 8-16....and I really wish I didn't now!

still, I think that 200 bucks could go to a DA 40 limited or the DA* 16-50, I'm already stretching a little for the 10-20 or the DA 15, I think I have to draw a line and cap this one at $500 (+/- $50)
D'oh!!! sorry dude....shudda kept my yap shut!!

Never buy something like this if it breaks your budget...you would be really happy with a 40ltd for sure and if you get a good copy of the 16-50 then it's sure to be a keeper as well.

Something else to consider is the 8-16 is brand new so there could be issues which come up over the next 6-12 months so waiting might not be all that bad.

If ya do wait, I would look for a nice used copy of the 10-20mm BUT if you buy use be aware there can be an issue of the AF breaking and you lose infinity focus. I had it happen as did two of my friends. I know I did drop my copy about 18" onto a padded carpeted floor so that might have triggered it, but apparently while it's not rampant, it has been known to happen for almost no reason. So, buying new is still nice as it's an EX build with a nice long warranty, at least in the US where I recall it is/was 4-years, compared to non-EX lenses.

07-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I usually buy new just to get warranties. I paid a little more for my K7 so I'd have at least the one year. That 3-4 year Sigma warranty for me is definitely worth buying new

As for waiting, I have a big New York trip in 3 weeks, I'd love to have a super wide angle for that trip as it will likely be that last touristy trip I take for a long time

Last edited by future_retro; 07-27-2010 at 12:09 PM.
07-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Found a great old thread

Someone posted a great visual depicting the differences in focal lengths

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/43745-new-k200...tml#post415540

Even if the chart isn't perfectly accurate, if it's even slightly accurate it's a good push for the 10-20mm for me, I really want it to be wide if I pay for anything wider than the kit lens.
07-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
hope this helps:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/86234-15mm-lim...s-my-mind.html

07-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Someone posted a great visual depicting the differences in focal lengths

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/43745-new-k200...tml#post415540

Even if the chart isn't perfectly accurate, if it's even slightly accurate it's a good push for the 10-20mm for me, I really want it to be wide if I pay for anything wider than the kit lens.
thanks for that link...I recall someone posted it for me when I found this site last year and it's a GREAT perspective on the whole FOV issue...especially if you have never used wider lenses.

I think your semi-choice of a 10-20 might be a good choice because it lets you use any number of focal lengths in the 10-20 range...if it then turns out you are using more in the 10mm and say, 14-15mm range you can make adjustments in the line up or just "keep on keep'n on" with the 10-20...and the 10-20 will retain enough value to make shooting with it for a year or two worth it...certainly cheaper than renting.

Oh, nice to read you also prefer to buy new over used when possible because of the warranty and unless I know the seller, i am always worried...but I have to say every single used lense I bought or traded for here or over on POTN has been just wonderful and w/o any issues so these days I am not near as reluctant about buying used gear via an established board's marketplace as when I first entered the DSLR world a few years back now.
07-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

The perspective from the 10mm is substantially different than 12mm, and I'm sure the difference for 8mm is even greater. There is an issue with not being able to use conventional filters with the 8mm if that matters to you. I tend to have to use a split ND frequently with the 10mm to keep from losing highlights, but hopefully improvements in sensors in future cameras will eliminate that as a concern.

I have had the 10-20mm 4-5.6 Sigma and would recommend it, although there are definitely bad copies and my experience is that Sigma will refuse to address any but the most serious cases. So there is really no substitute for purchasing where you can return the lens if it doesn't' meet your expectations.

Paul
07-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I faced the same dilemma a while back--DA 15 or Sigma 10-20. I recently solved the dilemma by buying the Sigma 17-70.

I really like the DA limiteds. I have the 40 and 70, love the size and weight. So I bought the DA 15, got what I felt was a bad copy, replaced it, replacement wasn't any better, returned it for a refund. Considered the 10-20, but couldn't make up my mind. So I thought about it for a few weeks and realized that what I needed most was a good zoom with a versatile range that would suit my needs when a zoom was a better tool than a prime. I found that when I needed that versatility I was switching between the FA 20-35, DA 40, and DA 70, so I realized a 17-70 was a good fit for me.

I still want to add another DA limited at some point, either the 15 or 21, so I can cover a useful range when I don't need the convenience of a zoom, but for me, I think I made the right choice with the 17-70.
07-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #23
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I faced the same dilemma a while back--DA 15 or Sigma 10-20. I recently solved the dilemma by buying the Sigma 17-70.
When I bought the 17-70 I made the mistake of also trying the 10-20 and ended up buying both lenses with matching Sigma CPLs. $1626.17 later with the tax here in Canada.

07-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Decision made

Kx has sold! so now the Sigma will be here on friday (bought from B&H using the site supporter thing)

Decision maker: The difference between 15 and 10 was just too much, this is supposed to be my super wide angle after all

Even if it isn't the sharpest lens, pixel peeping sharpness might not be as important when you see the overwhelming image of the 10mm, that's how I see it at least

My next lens however will be a fast, sharp prime or the DA* 16-50. I'd like some sharp glass and am already trying to work the DA 40 Limited into my budget

I really appreciate all the input
07-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #25

...I love the perspective of the 10-20mm,such a fun and creative lens,not clinical like a lot of lenses.If you wear a proverbial labcoat while you shoot then clearly this lens is not for you!
I just realized these are basically the same price and now I have no clue which to choose

I'm getting a super wide because I want it to be as wide as possible, but again and again I hear praise for Pentax's primes image quality, especially the limiteds (which are the coolest lenses I have ever seen)...maybe giving up that 5mm with be worth the superior IQ????

Which would you choose?

( this thread is the result of this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/108642-what-sho...-%24400-2.html )
Attached Images

07-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I'm glad it's coming in the mail!
07-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #27

I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. I recently went through a slightly different dilemma: Sigma 10-20 vs Tamron 10-24 vs Pentax 12-24.

The Pentax was discounted first, in part because the difference between 10mm and 12mm requires more "zooming with feet" than the difference between 20mm and 24mm, but mainly because in the UK it is now ridiculously expensive. If the price premium over the others was more reasonable, I'd have been sorely tempted because it is a very good lens.

I took my camera to the dealer to try out the Sigma and Tamron, and found that it consistently under-exposed slightly with the Sigma and consistently over-exposed slightly with the Tamron - very odd! With ISO and aperture set the same for both lenses, the shutter speed chosen by the camera consistently varied by over a stop!

But more obvious was that borders with the Sigma lens were much sharper than the Tamron until they were stopped down significantly. Even then, of the two copies I tried, the Sigma was always sharper around the edges. The Tamron was very sharp in the centre though.

Bottom line - I chose the Sigma and am very happy with it. The image quality is easily more than "good enough", the build quality is very nice (better than the Tamron), it comes with a nice case and despite its size and build, is surprisingly light weight. I do see the attraction of the DA15, which is really an example of the kind of thing that Pentax is uniquely good at. But the Sigma offers an awful lot of bang for the buck.

Hope you enjoy it!

Jon
07-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Kx has sold! so now the Sigma will be here on friday (bought from B&H using the site supporter thing)

Decision maker: The difference between 15 and 10 was just too much, this is supposed to be my super wide angle after all

Even if it isn't the sharpest lens, pixel peeping sharpness might not be as important when you see the overwhelming image of the 10mm, that's how I see it at least

My next lens however will be a fast, sharp prime or the DA* 16-50. I'd like some sharp glass and am already trying to work the DA 40 Limited into my budget

I really appreciate all the input
good for you dude!! You are going to have a ball with the 10-20. It was my very first lense I bought with my 40D kit a while back...the kit had a 28-135 and I decided the 10-20 was interesting and I knew squat nothing about what I was looking for at the time...I would outside at 9PM and night taking shots on an "$8 thrift shop special" tripod the day the camera kit and 10-20 arrived...it was just too fun. Enjoy!!
07-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
good for you dude!! You are going to have a ball with the 10-20. It was my very first lense I bought with my 40D kit a while back...the kit had a 28-135 and I decided the 10-20 was interesting and I knew squat nothing about what I was looking for at the time...I would outside at 9PM and night taking shots on an "$8 thrift shop special" tripod the day the camera kit and 10-20 arrived...it was just too fun. Enjoy!!
It was a pretty easy decision after I saw the difference between 15mm and 10mm, thanks for the help deciding, also the warranty stuff...I never came across any mentions of the autofocus failing, probably because I never dove deep into issues like that, so I might have gone with a pre owned one and suffered.

I ordered from B&H and hopefully got a few years of security, bullet dodged and many thanks!
07-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Well.....that was fast, turned out my parents were planning on buying me the 10-20mm out of nowhere, after they told me about it I decided I would splurge on the 10-20, and they could get me the 40 and save some money, and hopefully help me feel less like a mooch

I'm really excited to get that one in the mail, but I'd like to stress that I still know that glass (or any other equipment) doesn't make me good photographer ...but who doesn't like new toys!