Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2010, 03:08 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
coolness ensues!! You have a very nice set of glass now so you can focus on the rest of this whole photogrraphy thing...just hope you don't have the pre-disposition to LBA gene!! Because you migth end up selling blood and other bodily fluids to feed your "jones"....

Seriously, later you can look to adjust your zooms but remember, you have to servicable WR zooms there. Wait....did you mention what body you have? Hope it's a K20D or even a K7 so you can use the WR fully...now have soem fun!!

07-29-2010, 03:15 AM   #32
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm going to suggest the 15mm over the 10-20mm, just because there's less distortion.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #33
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
You can always feed your LBA and get the 15mm next week.
07-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm going to suggest the 15mm over the 10-20mm, just because there's less distortion.
Isnt the 10-20 has less distortion @15 compared to the DA15?

07-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
coolness ensues!! You have a very nice set of glass now so you can focus on the rest of this whole photogrraphy thing...just hope you don't have the pre-disposition to LBA gene!! Because you migth end up selling blood and other bodily fluids to feed your "jones"....

Seriously, later you can look to adjust your zooms but remember, you have to servicable WR zooms there. Wait....did you mention what body you have? Hope it's a K20D or even a K7 so you can use the WR fully...now have soem fun!!
I usually get hit pretty hard with different buying addictions but I think I'm done with lenses for a while, had I not gotten the DA 40 as a gift I would have been totally content with the two kit lenses and the sigma

As for the body I have a K7, it's in my signature. The story went...

1.) Bought Kx as my first DSLR after falling in love the manual photography using a Canon SX200is
2.) Learned the basics with the Kx
3.) Bought the K7 and the two WR lenses at it's low price point so I can use it next winter in the snow, it's already come in handy too as I dropped it in the snow for a good 2 minutes while doing a summer snowboarding trip in Timberline Oregon, I shudder to think what would have happened had I dropped the Kx in the snow
4.) Sold Kx to fund the Sigma, I really didn't need two bodies anyway
07-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I hope the Sigma meets your needs. I have the 10-20 f/3.5, which I chose over the Pentax 12-24 for HSM and the Pentax's fringing. My version Sigma's IQ is good without being amazing. For a super-wide zoom it's very decent.

One thing I would say is to learn to control the perspective distortion caused by being so wide. It changes how you need to compose and gets tiresome if you shoot ultra-wide all the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Prox-iee Quote
btw, the sigma is huge.
Compared to what? It's not that big, and I believe it's still the widest zoom available in the world on APS-C sensor. f/3.5 version has an 82mm filter, but the older version is 77mm. Compare the size to the Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 full frame beast.
07-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
I hope the Sigma meets your needs. I have the 10-20 f/3.5, which I chose over the Pentax 12-24 for HSM and the Pentax's fringing. My version Sigma's IQ is good without being amazing. For a super-wide zoom it's very decent.

One thing I would say is to learn to control the perspective distortion caused by being so wide. It changes how you need to compose and gets tiresome if you shoot ultra-wide all the time.

Compared to what? It's not that big, and I believe it's still the widest zoom available in the world on APS-C sensor. f/3.5 version has an 82mm filter, but the older version is 77mm. Compare the size to the Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 full frame beast.
Are there any resources you can point me towards to help me learn how to frame using an ultra wide?

07-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Are there any resources you can point me towards to help me learn how to frame using an ultra wide?
Good question! I don't know any of the top of my head. Some other people might have some links or books?

The big thing (in my limited ultra-wide experience) is that foreground and background are extremely accentuated from our 'normal' perspective, which is something to take into account. Often this means getting close to the foreground subject - even something a few metres away can look small.
07-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good question! I don't know any of the top of my head. Some other people might have some links or books?

The big thing (in my limited ultra-wide experience) is that foreground and background are extremely accentuated from our 'normal' perspective, which is something to take into account. Often this means getting close to the foreground subject - even something a few metres away can look small.
Thanks for the advice

I'll probably do some hard googling too
07-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I was considering the Sigma 10-20 and the Pentax 15mm...I finally went with the Pentax 12-24mm.

Pricier yes...but boy am I impressed with the pix.
07-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Agreed. And because the FOV is so wide, it is that much more important to *have* a foreground subject. Otherwise, you end up with lots of pictures in which nothing really captures your interest. Unless the grandeur of scene of the overall itself is enough to carry the photo (and don't underestimate the potential for using the sky here!), you'll pretty often want to pick one thing you are interested in and get close to it.

Also, for whatever reason, I find I take way more of my ultrawide landscapes mode in vertical or "portrait" orientation than I do with other lenses.
07-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #42
Veteran Member

(re: sigma is huge)
Compared to what?
The DA15 :-)

QuoteQuote:
I believe it's still the widest zoom available in the world on APS-C sensor
I believe that honor would go to the new Sigma 8-16.
07-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Oh yes, that new Sigma looks impressive if the QC is good.
07-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First pictures with 10-20mm

Well I got my 10-20 today, don't I sound thrilled?...from the few pictures I've taken so far, I feel very "meh" about the lens, which is not ideal in my mind as I spend a half a grand on it!

I am fairly certain it's not buyers remorse though, I've been on top of my finances lately and I definitely can afford this lens or the DA 15, and I've built my budget taking into account a major lens purchase such as this so things are solid there ...if I were to return this I would get the DA 15 and more or less break even

I've attached a pretty large example, it's been made as good as I could get it in iPhoto, and I used my normal photographic technique to try and get the best capture possible. I'm not devastated with the image quality, but it just seems to be lacking a little. Or maybe I incorrectly chose a focus point (I suspect the latter)

This is my first time using an ultra wide angle, so maybe my expectations are skewed or too high, I would greatly appreciate any comments or critiques on this picture

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
07-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can you put a finger on what you don't like? Colors? Sharpness? or?????