Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Can you put a finger on what you don't like? Colors? Sharpness? or?????
That's the thing....I can't, which is why I think this is more of an "in my head" problem and not a problem with the lens.

If i had to say something it would be front to back sharpness but the more I over analyze it it seems like less of an issue.

I'm actually thrilled with the colors from the lens, definitely more vibrant than any lens I've used yet.

07-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here are a couple shots I took with mine no CPL or anything, handheld, they were not with a Pentax but that should not matter as it was a 40D. I have to look up the EXIF...will add it in a sec or so...ok maybe more...

Now this had a fair amount of PP to clone out a bunch of crap to the point I got tired of it...power lines and stuff like that...would do more if it mattered. Its a bit of a crop but not too much.

14mm, 1/320th, f8, ISO100

Taken at the same time:

10mm, 1/400th, ISO400, f9

Here are a couple other shots I took at the same time in the same gallery...not saying they are great shots but rather pretty representative of the lense and what is should deliver:
Around Town

Last edited by brecklundin; 07-30-2010 at 07:51 PM.
07-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
That's the thing....I can't, which is why I think this is more of an "in my head" problem and not a problem with the lens.

If i had to say something it would be front to back sharpness but the more I over analyze it it seems like less of an issue.

I'm actually thrilled with the colors from the lens, definitely more vibrant than any lens I've used yet.
cool, that is sorta what I was hoping to read...I think you migth be experiencing the same thing I went though the first time I ventured outside in the daylight with mine...I looked at my shots and they just did not look good at all...then I went and used only that lense for a few days when out and about...I just developed a sense for the lense....I really loved it for one of our local CA Missions and never really did landscapes with it...and LOVED it when I got a nice CPL...that really helped bring out the colors for some reason.

I don't think the sharpness is bad in your shots, dunno if you shot RAW and did not do much shapening but maybe a tiny tune up in that area would help ya feel better about the shots?
07-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
cool, that is sorta what I was hoping to read...I think you migth be experiencing the same thing I went though the first time I ventured outside in the daylight with mine...I looked at my shots and they just did not look good at all...then I went and used only that lense for a few days when out and about...I just developed a sense for the lense....I really loved it for one of our local CA Missions and never really did landscapes with it...and LOVED it when I got a nice CPL...that really helped bring out the colors for some reason.

I don't think the sharpness is bad in your shots, dunno if you shot RAW and did not do much shapening but maybe a tiny tune up in that area would help ya feel better about the shots?
I shot raw and actually added as much sharpening as I could, it helped.

Im going to shoot as much as I can over the weekend before I make any more conclusions, I think my expectations of what this lens can do for the price might be skewed.

I was definitely taken to another world the first time I looked for the viewfinder and saw the field of view, and that's what I got it for.

I sincerely appreciate all the commentary you've put in this thread

07-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Have fun!! BTW, here is one of my first shots with the silly beast and it looks a lot like yours to me...I was not thrilled with it either, still don't like it mostly because I did not understand the whole way to take pano's and a wide angle was not about getting long pano shots but rather to cover a wide area....and a pano done well is almost always a series of shots stitched together in order to get the wide and the detail...

THere are a couple shots in that gallery which I really did not like at all...the tall tree is AWFUL and over processed, I keep it around to remind myself what bad really looks like...hehehehe....

have fun and keep on it for a few days...see what you can figure out and also compare to forums/threads dedicated to the lense itself...helps me to see what others get from a lense.
07-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #51

Photos: Gallery
I was going to suggest the Sigma 8-16, but it looks like im late
07-31-2010, 04:26 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I shot raw and actually added as much sharpening as I could, it helped.

Im going to shoot as much as I can over the weekend before I make any more conclusions, I think my expectations of what this lens can do for the price might be skewed.

I was definitely taken to another world the first time I looked for the viewfinder and saw the field of view, and that's what I got it for.

I sincerely appreciate all the commentary you've put in this thread
BTW, one last thing, do keep an eye on the lense to make sure the AF is going to infinity and not past it or just short of it...that was what happened when i bonked mine...it began stopping short of infinity then after some coaxing it would go past infinity...it was not a common prob but it was also not an unusual problem. Sort of if there was gonna be an issue it seemed likely going to be the issue. But CRIS fixed up mine in short order...in fact if ya ever have a Sigma lense warranty service, it's easy as can be via their online service request system. You don't even need to call them...just fill out the forms online, it generates a service number and all that and *poof* you are done just follow the bouncing ball, or lenses, and put the paperwork as indicated then off ya go!

I originally sent mine to Sigma NY as they seemed to have the best rep for turn around...but they decided to send it back to CRIS in AZ because Sigma NY was backed up at the time so to get it done faster they sent it back west...sigh, but it worked great in the end.
07-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
BTW, one last thing, do keep an eye on the lense to make sure the AF is going to infinity and not past it or just short of it...that was what happened when i bonked mine...it began stopping short of infinity then after some coaxing it would go past infinity...it was not a common prob but it was also not an unusual problem. Sort of if there was gonna be an issue it seemed likely going to be the issue. But CRIS fixed up mine in short order...in fact if ya ever have a Sigma lense warranty service, it's easy as can be via their online service request system. You don't even need to call them...just fill out the forms online, it generates a service number and all that and *poof* you are done just follow the bouncing ball, or lenses, and put the paperwork as indicated then off ya go!

I originally sent mine to Sigma NY as they seemed to have the best rep for turn around...but they decided to send it back to CRIS in AZ because Sigma NY was backed up at the time so to get it done faster they sent it back west...sigh, but it worked great in the end.
hmmm, at 10mm mine refuses to go past the 1 meter marking, absolutely refuses no matter what I point at. However at 20mm it goes past the 1 meter mark and to what I presume is infinity range consistently with no problems, but it never quite gets to the infinity marking on the focus ring.

However when shot at 10mm, between autofocusing, manual focusing and using the 20mm's infinity focus point, the autofocus was probably the most accurate, even though it didn't appear to be at infinity.

Perhaps the construction of the lens pushes the 10mm infinity focus into the distance guide?

07-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #54
Veteran Member

hmmm, at 10mm mine refuses to go past the 1 meter marking, absolutely refuses no matter what I point at. However at 20mm it goes past the 1 meter mark and to what I presume is infinity range consistently with no problems, but it never quite gets to the infinity marking on the focus ring.

However when shot at 10mm, between autofocusing, manual focusing and using the 20mm's infinity focus point, the autofocus was probably the most accurate, even though it didn't appear to be at infinity.

Perhaps the construction of the lens pushes the 10mm infinity focus into the distance guide?
I hate to say this but if your distance meter won't move beyond the 1M then it sure sounds like the AF has probs. And the behavior at 20mm sounds exactly like my lense's behavior when the AF broke. It would sorta try to head toward infinity but never really get there...and when I would try and MF it would sometimes go beyond and others get really sluggish as it moved to infinity. Do you know anyone with a copy for any mount? or even a nearby camera store where you could go and compare? Honestly though it sounds exactly like the prob I had as well as a couple other folks I knew with the lense.

Now, to help put ya at ease a small amount, though I am sure you feel really badly about now, there are a LOT of these lenses out there so while it is not an unheard of issue, it is one of the mostly likely points of failure on this model lenses of which I am aware and it seems to cross all mounts though this would be the first K-mount gone bad I have read about so far.

I would call Sigma support on Monday to describe the issue, see what they say. Or if your vendor has an exchange thing there is that option as well. I would tell them it's a potential defective AF RMA situation so maybe they might pick up shipping both ways...

Or, as I mentioned call Sigma Tech and see what they say. They have always been friendly and helpful with my questions even when I didn't have any real probs. But remember the turnaround time on a repair anywhere is usually in the 3-6 week range and it's not uncommon for there to be a wait on parts from Japan (I think that is just a boiler plate response for all service centers though I actually have come to think it's true...). The beauty of a serviced lense is they do adjust everything and/or replace what needs fixed. But nothing stinks worse than a lense which just does not feel right from day one. As I mentioned, it happened with my 2nd copy of the DA 35ltd but my first and 3rd copies were nails...

Whatever you decide I would say not to go for the 10-20/3.5 version as I don't know many who upgraded to it from the 10-20/4-5.6 who were as happy with the IQ of the f3.5 version, especially wide open.

Geeze, I feel for ya dude...it's shame there sounds like there is an AF prob but the distance gauge should always go to infinity at any focal length and should behave exactly the same at every zoom length. I really do feel badly as you were so excited about the new lense...like I wrote, I learned myself, this year even, that it happens on any brand.

You are in Western WA? Not sure if there are any bigger camera stores up there...not even in Seattle...I think there was a Ritz or maybe it's Camera's West somewhere near downtown but not knowing exactly where you are plus not having been up there for a while, though I seem to remember something in the U-District as well but they were mostly Canon and Nikon, maybe it was even the store on UW campus? Anyway, if those are in driving distance and you want to take the time to compare it's an option, though I think it really is borked... I hate giving less than great news to someone...hang in there, it's a really nice bit of glass!!
07-31-2010, 11:45 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not too shaken up about it, equipment failures happen, and as we spoke about before, that's why you buy new from B&H

The jury is still out on whether this lens is a keeper or not. I'm thinking about returning it for the DA 15 or maybe just kick my LBA before it starts and going without an ultrawide for the time being, either way broken AF would be great in that case so I can get some free return shipping

Every time I see other peoples pictures they seem so much better than mine and I know it's not the gear so I'm trying not to focus too much on the gear and more on the photos, the gear is nice though, especially if it fulfills a need, but now it seems more like a very nice luxury that wont really make or break any of my pictures

Last edited by future_retro; 07-31-2010 at 11:55 PM.