Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #1

DA* 50-135 or 60-250?

I'm looking to get a longer lens and am torn between these two. I like land scape and people street/candid photography. I've never done wild life so I'm not sure I would need the length of that 60-250. Which would I get more use out of?

I'm currently using (more like learning) a K-7 with DA*16-50mm.

07-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
when I was shooting Canon and had a 40D my most used lense was the 55-250mm...that is a very useful zoom range. I did a lot of discrete candid people shooting with it...but the thing was light as a feather and only a couple hundred bucks. Still, when I cam to Pentax I had a heck of a time trying to decide between the 50-135 and a 60-250...I decided on the 50-135 simply because at the time I knew I would need the extra stop but that lense failed on me so I returned it...that issue aside I think I would go with the 50-135 again because the IS is so great....but if you want a nice general purpose lense it would be very hard to argue against the 60-250 even though many Pentax users would complain about weight but they are spoiled from the great lightweight primes...try lugging a BIGMOS (Sigma 150-500) around for 6-9hrs for a week straight and then come whine about weight...otherwise the 60-250, while a bit on the heavy side, is a supurb lense, then again so is the 50-135...talk about six-of-one, half-a-dozon-of-another....

But my original plan, before last year's price jump was to keep the 50-135, add a 200mm or 300mm or in a perfect world, both. but since the price jump on glass I have not bought any new glass. Still I think the 50-135 covers a nice range though it is not very quick to focus. The nice thing about the 60-250 is when you need that extra 115mm of length it's there...the cost is the loss of a whole stop.
07-27-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would go with the 50-135. I find that with "people photography" huge lenses tend to make people anxious. The 50-135 is pretty decent sized with the lens hood, but the 60-250 is quite a bit bigger than that. If you want to shoot wildlife, 250 is probably a little on the short side anyway. Better to look at either a DA 55-300 or (if you really want to spend) a DA *300.

I don't know how useful either of these lenses would be for landscape photography. Probably about the same. I have used my DA 70 to shoot panoramas, so I guess it can be done, but I would rather use your current lens (the 16-50) to shoot that type of photo.
07-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting street with a long lens is cheating, isn't it?

Buy a DA21 or DA40 of DA70 - heck for the price of one of the DA*s you can buy all three! - and step into the river of life. The water's fine!

Seriously, I've got a DA* 50-135 and while it's a great lens it's a little slow to focus and I'd feel self-conscious picking that thing up and pointing it at a complete stranger. With the DA70 I can be across the street (2 lanes, parallel parking) and capture something interesting on the other side. To give you a sense of what fits:

A little cropped left, right, and top

07-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
John:

Man that is a gorgeous photo of that 'vette!! And the B&W conversion works far better than I would have expected...if I am around long enough I need to try out B&W conversion on digital. It just never works well when I've tried it so far.

As to your comment about a larger sized lense for "street shooting" or candids...I used a BIGMOS as well as other long glass all the time when I was shooting my 40D...it's simply a matter of using what it gives and one thing a long bit of glass gives is distance which I feel is important when after candid shots. So, I guess I am saying in a way that you have a good chance of getting a truer candid with something long vs. shorter glass up closer where you are more obvious. I have a series I took with my old EF-S 55-250 (granted not a HUGE lense at all) but because I was able to keep distance I could follow this couple for what I feel was a nice natural sequence...but once she saw me shooting you could see her trying not to notice me, which btw turned out to be a nice addition to the sequence...so I guess my point is there is validity to both ideas...

I also agree as well as maybe not about buying the three Ltd's for the price of the 60-250...the thing is, the convenience of a zoom cannot be dismissed, especially if someone is not used to swapping primes quickly. I know it has taken me ages, and I am still not used to the quick & discrete lense swap though it's likely due to not much practice.

No matter at the same time I completely agree with your logic and suggestion...then again...hehehehe....boy, it's sure easy to debate oneself in circles, huh?
07-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoholic Quote
I'm looking to get a longer lens and am torn between these two. I like land scape and people street/candid photography. I've never done wild life so I'm not sure I would need the length of that 60-250. Which would I get more use out of?

I'm currently using (more like learning) a K-7 with DA*16-50mm.
well...Sigma supposedly will restart the 70-200mm HSM II production after August. If the price is the same at $799, one benefit is longer warranty.

and of course longer range with the aid of teleconverters.
07-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Personally, I'm very strongly against long focal lengths for street/candid photography (on most occasions).

In my opinion, street photos are often weaker with long focal lengths, and it is usually obvious when a photo is taken at a long focal length. The photographer becomes more detached from the scene, and this is evident in the output.