Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Cooke / Taylor-Hobson Speed-Panchro S2 adaptable for SLR?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, does anyone here have experience with Cooke / Taylor-Hobson Speed-Panchro S2 cine lenses? A little googling finds mention (but no details) of conversion for Nikon-F and Canon-EOS mounts. Has anyone here performed such a conversion? Can it be done without a machine shop? I'm especially interested in using a M42 or PK mount, but even Nikon would do. Thanks.

07-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is that a cine lens for the Arriflex (PL mount)? If so, there aren't many options. You'd probably have to machine it, the register distance is about 7mm longer than the Pentax K/m42's register distance but I have a feeling the lens itself takes up most of the 7mm.

There are photos of some Chinese folks radically modifying the lens to convert to m42 here:

Note the protruding rear elements past the m42 screw ring. Some machining is definitely required to remove parts of the lens. It also definitely won't work on Canon FF cameras.

The other option is to purchase an adapter that connects to the camera body like the one here:

ARRI PL mount to Canon EOS 5D 1D Mark IV adapter - eBay (item 250662175408 end time Aug-05-10 14:54:30 PDT)

Unfortunately, they're extremely expensive for an adapter.

The photos taken with it are rather interesting:

Most people would not like this mushy rendering but I do. I'm not sure it's worth your time to machine it/get an adapter for it. While interesting, there are much better options for a fraction of the price.
07-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I asked this question on a couple forums, with the answer: a machine-shop is required. Ratz. Oh well, the auction is over, the price was over my (meagre) budget anyway, whine whine...
07-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had forgotten to add that the Arriflex mount is for the motion picture 35mm frame, which is about half the size of still 35mm frame from what I hear. I think even crop sensor is too big for the Arriflex film sensor size. Depending on lens design, some may fit but they're not required to do so.

I'm sure that makes you feel a bit better.

Am I the only one here who loves machining/modifying mounts?

07-30-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I had forgotten to add that the Arriflex mount is for the motion picture 35mm frame, which is about half the size of still 35mm frame from what I hear.
The original "full frame" meant a cine frame, which is 24x18mm. When Leica et al built 35mm cams, they designed for "double frame" of 36x24mm, which is what we call FF. When Oly built their "half-frame" film Pens, one purpose was to test cine film stock in its native size. Meanwhile, APS frames differ slightly amongst dSLR brands, but they're usually close to 25x17mm, the cine size.

QuoteQuote:
Am I the only one here who loves machining/modifying mounts?
Modifying, no. Machining, maybe. My machinery is limited to dremels and pliars.