Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

DA WR lens hoods fit way too tight?

When I first mounted the lens hoods on my DA WR lenses I was very pleased with the rock solid connection.

I was a little frightened though when I tried taking them off, they are on there really tight! I try to avoid taking the lens hoods off as much as possible now because sometimes they just wont budge and I fear that the extreme twisting force might break the lens!

I swear today I heard a noise, maybe a faint snap while removing the hood. Like always it was quite a fuss to get it off, so much so that I thought I was turning it the wrong way because it wouldn't budge even while I applied more and more force, but alas I was turning it the correct way

Anyone have any input on or experience with this?

07-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First off, let me just say that whether or not the hood fits tightly has nothing to do with the fact that the lens is weather-sealed, as the bayonets are the same across all variants of the lens.

If a hood feels really tight, it's likely just because the lens is new. Use it a little bit and it'll loosen up a bit. As long as you carefully apply the force, nothing should break.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh ok, I just specified the WR lenses because the connection was different on the DA-L 18-55 so I wasn't sure what other lenses had the same connection.
07-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Oh ok, I just specified the WR lenses because the connection was different on the DA-L 18-55 so I wasn't sure what other lenses had the same connection.
Be careful though, I snapped mine right off.

07-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm, I wonder if you're not mounting it correctly. It shouldn't be as tight as you describe - just a slight turn (like maybe 20 degrees?) and a click. Plus, the L and WR versions of the 18-55 should be identical (or close to it) with respect to how the hood mounts - the same hood, after all, works with both.
07-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I could be wrong. I don't have the DA-L anymore to test but this is how I remember it happening:

On the DA WR's I have to slip the the hood (PH-RBC 52) on with it rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise, and rotate 90 degrees clockwise to lock

With the DA-L, I didn't have to slip it it on with it rotated 90 degrees clockwise, only 20-45 or so, I was using the Fotodiox clone hood though. The hood I used on the DA-L only had 1 pair of bayonets instead of the 2 pairs the PH-RBC 52 has

When I tried to put the PH-RBC 52 on the DA-L, it wouldn't fall down into the bayonet channel and would just rotate on top of the bayonets infinitely. At that point I gave up ever trying to use the PH-RBC 52 on the DA-L

I think I also tried using the Fotodiox hood on the DA 18-55 WR and it was not compatible either

When I had the DA 50-200 [non WR] and the DA-L 18-55, the two hoods (both OEM and Fotodiox) were fully interchangeable with each other. At that time though I did not have any WR lenses to test cross compatibility

That's all the context and knowledge I have
07-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hmmm, I don't have either of those lenses (just the original 18-55 and the 18-55 II, plus the original 50-200), but something seems wrong with your OEM hood given your description. The hood should have fit the DA L, and I'd be shocked if it's supposed to require a 90 degree turn on the WR.

07-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Didn't Pentax recently switch the model number of the hoods. The old was the PH-RBA52 (no longer available) and the newer is the PH-RBC52.

Is there any difference between them? Could explain why one rotates more than the other to lock on, although I have no idea how because I don't have the "C" model.

Still, it shouldn't be so tight as to break, but I had tight fitting "A" model on my 18-55mm II that loosened up after a couple days.
07-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone else attest to how their lens hoods work?

I got my two WR lenses separately and they both came with supplied hoods
07-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I had the same experience

Anyone else attest to how their lens hoods work?

I got my two WR lenses separately and they both came with supplied hoods
I have the 18-55 WR and the original supplied hood (PH-RBC 52mm).

I can confirm that it does take a bit more force to remove the hood from the 18-55 WR than you'd expect. Going on it's a nice tight feel, but removing it does make you worry you're going to rip the mount off as well
07-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Hmmm, I don't have either of those lenses (just the original 18-55 and the 18-55 II, plus the original 50-200), but something seems wrong with your OEM hood given your description. The hood should have fit the DA L, and I'd be shocked if it's supposed to require a 90 degree turn on the WR.
QuoteOriginally posted by lowspark86 Quote
Didn't Pentax recently switch the model number of the hoods. The old was the PH-RBA52 (no longer available) and the newer is the PH-RBC52.

Is there any difference between them? Could explain why one rotates more than the other to lock on, although I have no idea how because I don't have the "C" model.

Still, it shouldn't be so tight as to break, but I had tight fitting "A" model on my 18-55mm II that loosened up after a couple days.
Ok, I just realized I also have an older 18-55 with the PH-RBA52 hood in my closet that I can compare to the PH-RBC52 hood. So I did

So here's the deal. They have two different connections, so the "A" hood won't fit on the WR lens and the "C" hood won't fit on the original kit lens. The WR/PH-RBC52 combo requires about 60-70 degrees of a turn to remove/mount it. The original kit lens/PH-RBA52 only requires about a 10-20 degree turn.

Last edited by dgaies; 07-29-2010 at 05:57 PM.
07-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Ok, I just realized I also have an older 18-55 with the PH-RBA52 hood in my closet that I can compare to the PH-RBC52 hood. So I did

So here's the deal. They have two different connections, so the "A" hood won't fit on the WR lens and the "C" hood won't fit on the original kit lens. The WR/PH-RBC52 combo requires about 60-70 degrees of a turn to remove/mount it. The original kit lens/PH-RBA52 only requires about a 10 degree turn.
...so does this mean I'm not crazy?
07-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

...so does this mean I'm not crazy?
Can't say for certain, you might also be crazy

... but I can confirm the WR hood is difficult to remove (tight) and needs to rotate a lot more than the original kit lens hood to mount/dismount.
07-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
good enough for me, thanks for the side by side comparison
07-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #15

I've never had a problem with mine (PH-RBC). Focus your lens to infinity and take a look at the barrel, just above the distance scale on the focus ring. You should see a little white line roughly at the infinity mark, and another at the closest focus/macro mark. Now, look at the hood. Between the N and the T in PENTAX, you'll see another white line. Align that line, with the line on the lens at the closest focus/macro mark, and turn the hood toward the infinity mark. I agree it takes (slightly) more force to remove the hood than to attach it, but I prefer that to the opposite. Checked my WR 50-200 and it's similarly marked, and just as easy to attach/remove.

I also prefer built in hoods, but we can't have it all.

Dammit.

PS. I also have a non WR 50-200, and I can confirm that it requires a shorter turn to mount than the WR version, but nowhere near the 10-20º range some are claiming for the 18-55. Remember folks, 1/4 of a circle is still 90º.